Dalu esë

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Dalu esë

Post by Thry »

My doubt is about the way to express possession in Verdurian. I had this question a long time ago but hadn't signed up yet so I ask it now. On the one hand we have:

Sul Aď e otál mudray dy tü, dalu esë, er ya cečel řo sen e sënul.
Only God is wiser than you, my king, and even there I'm not certain.

But on the grammar it is said that:

The dative is used to express one's relation to persons of higher rank than oneself: osän sen 'my master', Aď tan 'our God'. With inferiors one uses the genitive: ištavro lië 'his attendant.' With persons of equal rank one may use either the genitive or the dative; the latter has a more formal or respectful quality: ei druk sen, "You are a friend to me."

So why is it dalu esë and not dalu sen, doesn't the king have a higher rank than the speaker in that sentence (presumably a servant)?

Any thoughts?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: Dalu esë

Post by zompist »

You're quite right, it should be dalu sen.

(The rule really applies only to the educated register, but that's the variety the grammar is trying to teach.)

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Dalu esë

Post by Thry »

zompist wrote:You're quite right, it should be dalu sen.

(The rule really applies only to the educated register, but that's the variety the grammar is trying to teach.)
Ok, dëkuy. Though you probably know it already, I have to say Verdurian is one of the most carefully-made artlangs around (and the conworld), it has an impressive internal depth. Also thank you for the Language Construction Kit, it prompted my curiosity in linguistics some years ago. Nice job!