Adjectives

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Adjectives

Post by Drydic »

So I was browsing through the almean language files today, looking for formatting ideas for my grammar, and I came across a curiosity: There are no descriptions of comparative or superlative adjective forms for the Eretald languages (even among non-Central languages, there are only the comparative in Cuêzi and the superlative in Flaidish given; obviously Kebreni treats adjectives rather differently). Checking the lexicons, it seems Verdurian has analytic forms (that is, muďe and so muďe respectively), while Caďinor had synthetic forms (-or/-ďes and -astes/-asces/-sces again respectively), there's no mention of them in either Barakhinei or Ismaîn; should we assume they followed Verdurian and abandoned the synthetic forms? (I'm inclined to believe that for Ismaîn, given its reductionism; less so for Barakhinei, but maybe that's just my love for synthetic forms sticking through.)
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Adjectives

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Which languages do you mean? Formations for comparative and superlatives are explained in Cuêzi (aduōrate serūna sindānu); Ismaîn forms them the same way Kebreni does; the Flaidish grammar covers both comparatives and superlatives here. Caďinor is the only Eastern language (that we know of) that has morphological comparatives and superlatives. Presumably these are an innovation, partially shared with the Karazi branch.

The only language out of the ones you list where comparatives are not covered is Barakhinei; although a word for "most" (benhê) is in the lexicon. So we don't know how to form comparatives and superlatives in Barakhinei but in all of the others we do.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.