Cartography

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Cartography

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Sorry if this has been covered already (I thought it might have been but I couldn't find it): How accurate are Almean maps, especially as regards the northern hemisphere?
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: Cartography

Post by zompist »

I believe I've said that the iliu gave the Verdurians a map of the entire planet. But outside this, the southerners have a very poor idea of what's in the north.

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

zompist wrote:I believe I've said that the iliu gave the Verdurians a map of the entire planet.
Well that was kind of them... I like that you can work out details like that to cover up the fact that you have a planetary map before the Almean uesti could achieve one. :)
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by patiku »

It would be interesting to see an actual Almean world map.

BGMan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by BGMan »

I've noticed that on this obviously new map:

...the Gurdagor seem to have been moved over to the western side of the Luduyn peninsula? I'm curious as to the reasons for this? I like the shading that shows relative concentrations (majority/minority languages), such as for Sarroc in western Dhekhnam.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

BGMan wrote:I've noticed that on this obviously new map:

...the Gurdagor seem to have been moved over to the western side of the Luduyn peninsula? I'm curious as to the reasons for this? I like the shading that shows relative concentrations (majority/minority languages), such as for Sarroc in western Dhekhnam.
They had to be moved for their climate to be anything like what zomp wanted them to have. He redid a few things (this is probably the most drastic major thing; the most drastic was the change from the Rau Jungle to the Rau Savanna) while he was doing research for the Planet Construction Kit.
Last edited by Drydic on Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

You know, I feel like Xengiman would be colder than you think it is because the gulf it's north of will be mostly polar water. Look at the land around the Hudson Bay- there's tundra at 54 degrees north!

AK-92
Sanci
Sanci

Post by AK-92 »

Why is there a big no man's land south of ismain? You'd think ismain or other nation around it would try to annex it.
ɑɬœø

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

It's the Kara Desert, which is virtually uninhabitable to Almean humans.
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

IIRC it's nominally under Verdurian suzerainty, but what sir nuke said.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

BGMan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by BGMan »

Drydic Guy wrote:They had to be moved for their climate to be anything like what zomp wanted them to have. He redid a few things (this is probably the most drastic major thing; the most drastic was the change from the Rau Jungle to the Rau Savanna) while he was doing research for the Planet Construction Kit.
I guess that would make sense. Apparently, South Korea (eastern end of Eurasia) has climate similar to Germany (western end).

Zomp also had changed Ečendi to Uṭandal, but left Gelihurendi unchanged. I wonder if "Ečendi" is now the Gelihurendi name for "Uṭandal"? :D

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

"Gelihur" would be a local form anyway. They talk funny over there (compared to Mnau).