Almean Longevity

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
DF
Sanci
Sanci

Almean Longevity

Post by DF »

What's the average lifespan for each of the Almean sapients, including humans?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

I don't think I've set specific numbers, but here's what I recall.

humans, flaids - about like ours
ilii - over a thousand years
elcari, murtani - 300 years (average)
ktuvoks - somewhat shorter than humans

It's hard picturing the murtani actually making it to the end of their theoretical lifespan. Living among murtani is a bad lifestyle choice.

Ngo
Niš
Niš

Post by Ngo »

zompist wrote:I don't think I've set specific numbers, but here's what I recall.

It's hard picturing the murtani actually making it to the end of their theoretical lifespan. Living among murtani is a bad lifestyle choice.
What evolutionary forces were at work to make the lifespan's of the ilii, elcari, and murtani so long?

Cypress
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Cypress »

Ngo wrote:
zompist wrote:I don't think I've set specific numbers, but here's what I recall.

What evolutionary forces were at work to make the lifespan's of the ilii, elcari, and murtani so long?
and the Ktuvok's as short as it is?
I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT LANGUAGES!!! ^_^

Enjolras for President!

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Cypress wrote:
Ngo wrote:What evolutionary forces were at work to make the lifespan's of the ilii, elcari, and murtani so long?
and the Ktuvok's as short as it is?
The elcari have been discussed here.

For the others, we're probably not looking at evolutionary reasons at all. Both ilii and ktuvoks have been civilized for so long that we're dealing more with science fiction than fantasy-- meaning that they've effectively chosen to be as they are. And what both species have optimized themselves for, at least in part, is war with each other-- but with different strategies. The ilii have chosen wisdom, the ktuvoks strength. That is, the ilii prefer to wage war cleverly, and for this long life is useful; it means that they have a thousand years of tricks in living memory. The ktuvoks rely more on power and endurance, and thus most of their population is (relative to the ilii) young.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

zompist wrote:The ilii have chosen wisdom, the ktuvoks strength. That is, the ilii prefer to wage war cleverly, and for this long life is useful; it means that they have a thousand years of tricks in living memory.
Wouldn't that sort of information also be useful to ktuvoki, who rely on trickery and manipulation to create the empires that they deploy against the ilii? Or did the ktuvoki rely more on their own strength and sorcerous abilities against the ilii -- these things didn't seem to avail them much against well-organized human foes?
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

These Elcari sound like cool people.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Space Dracula
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Space Dracula »

Eddy the Great wrote:These Elcari sound like cool people.
But are they people?
<Dudicon> i would but you're too fat to fit in my mouth!!

DF
Sanci
Sanci

Post by DF »

Cool.... :P

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

ils wrote:
zompist wrote:The ilii have chosen wisdom, the ktuvoks strength. That is, the ilii prefer to wage war cleverly, and for this long life is useful; it means that they have a thousand years of tricks in living memory.
Wouldn't that sort of information also be useful to ktuvoki, who rely on trickery and manipulation to create the empires that they deploy against the ilii? Or did the ktuvoki rely more on their own strength and sorcerous abilities against the ilii -- these things didn't seem to avail them much against well-organized human foes?
It may help to think of the ktuvoks as neocons. :) Not that they were modelled on them, of course, but the basic idea is similar: no matter how clever your opponents think they are, enough brute strength and you'll roll right over them.

samisto
Niš
Niš

Post by samisto »

zompist wrote:It may help to think of the ktuvoks as neocons. :) Not that they were modelled on them, of course, but the basic idea is similar: no matter how clever your opponents think they are, enough brute strength and you'll roll right over them.
Funny, you don't see neocons changing laws and traditions through the courts instead of the legislatures like libbys . . . so who's using brute force to roll over whom?

When you know you can't get your way, find a judge who will change the law for you . . . the libby way. Sounds like the ktuvoks are liberals to me.
[i]Bal Dusoata[/i]

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

zompist wrote:It may help to think of the ktuvoks as neocons. :) Not that they were modelled on them, of course, but the basic idea is similar: no matter how clever your opponents think they are, enough brute strength and you'll roll right over them.
Heh, I guess that would explain why the ktuvoks are the less successful lifeform overall... :mrgreen:

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

samisto wrote:
Funny, you don't see neocons changing laws and traditions through the courts instead of the legislatures like libbys . . . so who's using brute force to roll over whom?

When you know you can't get your way, find a judge who will change the law for you . . . the libby way. Sounds like the ktuvoks are liberals to me.
Let's just blame the Canadians.

Ktuvoki = Canadians.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Whimemsz wrote:Ktuvoki = Canadians.
Well known for crushing everything in our path. That's why we only need, like, twenty guys in our military! Bow to the iron fist of the Dominion...

Ngo
Niš
Niš

Post by Ngo »

samisto wrote:
Well, the neo-cons favor invading any country that suits them which is a far cry from America's tradition of non-interventionism.

samisto
Niš
Niš

Post by samisto »

Ngo wrote:
samisto wrote:
Well, the neo-cons favor invading any country that suits them which is a far cry from America's tradition of non-interventionism.
I just found it offensive, so in the great liberal tradition of sensitivity, please respect that. Thank you.
[i]Bal Dusoata[/i]

Drakes
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Drakes »

Heh... America hardly has a tradition of non-interventionism. Though it would be good if we did.
drake
Etymology: Middle English; akin to Old High German an[i]trahho[/i] drake
Date: 14th century
: a male duck

Ngo
Niš
Niš

Post by Ngo »

pastoralist wrote:Heh... America hardly has a tradition of non-interventionism. Though it would be good if we did.
It had one, but it was ignored so much that it was finally abandoned.

DF
Sanci
Sanci

Post by DF »

I'm curious as to how the ilii's lifespan got so long. At first glance, 1000+ years doesn't seem likely, if at all plausible, but I'm sure there's some way it could happen. It makes them even more comparable to Elves, in my opinion (and I'm not saying that in a bad way :P )

The same goes for the Elkari and the Murtani...~300 years is almost exactly what the lifespan of your average Tolkeinesque Dwarf, isn't it?. Interesting.

How closely are the humans/Flaids and the Elkari/Murtani related, and what causes such long lifespans in the Ilii and Elkari?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

In human societies, lifespan is a good gauge of overall quality of life. It varies surprisingly widely; in bad times you're lucky to reach 50; today Americans can expect to reach 90.

As a species advances, it gets more control over nature, and over itself-- it can concentrate on extending lifespan, if it wants. (We're doing this already, to a large extent... possibly a questionable extent, since we seem to value it higher than other quality-of-life issues.) If people are enjoying life, they're likely to want to do so as long as they can.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

That's the funniest thing I've ever read. The US is an empire in all but name.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

DF
Sanci
Sanci

Post by DF »

I think y'all are hijacking the thread...take it to None of the Above :P

Ngo
Niš
Niš

Post by Ngo »

Eddy the Great wrote:
It is now, but it was not always so; or at least it was not as bad.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Ngo wrote:
Eddy the Great wrote:
It is now, but it was not always so; or at least it was not as bad.
DarkFantasy's right, guys. :D