Biggest City of Almea

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Biggest City of Almea

Post by Whimemsz »

I think the real key is: "All for of these civilizatons you mentioned flourished for a hundred years and dissappeared from the face of the earth leaving little influence on future generations. The civilizations I mentioned however flourished for thousands of years and left lasting influence that is still present today." Charles seems to be judging how "advanced" a civilization is by the degree to which it influenced the civilization(s) of modern Western Christian industrialized democracies. Obviously, Greek/Roman civilizations will come out ahead there. But that's a bad way of assessing level of "advancement", especially if your point in trying to figure out how advanced a civilization is is that you want to know how feasible it would be for that civilization to construct large cities.

The real point with regard to Charles' original question is that any civilization which has a large enough population and at least some division of labor (normally via agriculture) can construct large cities. Those examples of "tropical" civilizations are relevant because they engaged in massive building projects and had large population densities (at least the ones I know anything about, maybe it's not true for all of them).

NE: The civilizations of Mesoamerica are good examples -- at the time of contact there were probably tens of millions of people in central Mexico. Tenochtitlan was one of the largest and most technologically advanced cities in the world at the time, and left Cortez and his men awe-struck.