Sarroc verb forms

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Sarroc verb forms

Post by Mornche Geddick »

I was interested to read about the changes to Sarroc verbal morphology on p244 of ALC. It occurred to me that they wouldn't be uniform. This is how I imagine the situation:

1) Rural and remote populations would still use person-based verbs and SVO.
2) In cities, the Eledhe, Endajue and loyal pagans would refuse to use rank-based verbs on principle. The lower classes in the cities would also stick to person-based verbs because they were easier. They might find themselves using VSO order, without realising it is a Dhekhnami influence.
3) The middle classes, whose position depends on collaboration, would use rank based verbs in public, but might find it easier to use person-based at home. Men might have a better mastery of the rank-based forms than women, if they dealt more with Dhekhnami officials.
4) For a speaker used to person-based verbs, the rank-based based system could be extremely confusing. Even if they knew in theory how it worked, they might well find themselves making errors.
5) Official schools, which exist to indoctrinate Sarnaean children in Demoshi culture and ktuvok worship, would enforce the rank-based system (probably by beatings for failure to comply) much as children used to be punished for speaking Welsh or Native American languages in school. However, some of the pupils would probably revert to person-based verbs when they returned home.
6) Any grammars published in Dhekhnam would enforce the new morphology.
7) Refugees in Erenat and Verduria would revert to the old morphology and syntax, if they didn't switch to Verdurian.

legolasean
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Sarroc verb forms

Post by legolasean »

Well... Sarroc is still upcoming. Mark still needs to invent dekhnami because sarroc is spoken in a conquered area north west of dekhnam. So you'll just need to wait...
languages I speak Hebrew, English, Welsh, Russian
languages I learn Latin, Arabic

tezcatlip0ca
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tezcatlip0ca »

legolasean wrote:Well... Sarroc is still upcoming. Mark still needs to invent dekhnami because sarroc is spoken in a conquered area north west of dekhnam. So you'll just need to wait...
As far as I know, Dhekhnami has been ready for about four months, Zompist is just keeping it secret. I mean, some time ago there was a thread where Zompist translated some sentences into Dhekhnami, and it all seemed coherent to me. There must be something I’m missing...
The Conlanger Formerly Known As Aiďos

Atom
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Atom »

tezcatlip0ca wrote:
legolasean wrote:Well... Sarroc is still upcoming. Mark still needs to invent dekhnami because sarroc is spoken in a conquered area north west of dekhnam. So you'll just need to wait...
As far as I know, Dhekhnami has been ready for about four months, Zompist is just keeping it secret. I mean, some time ago there was a thread where Zompist translated some sentences into Dhekhnami, and it all seemed coherent to me. There must be something I’m missing...
Presumably he's still editing it and making some final adjustments.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Mostly the hangup is that it needs more Sarroc and Carhinno influence.

(I have a wordlist for Sarroc but no real grammar.)

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

Have you got anything for Carrhino?