Endangered languages on Almea

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Duaseron
Niš
Niš

Endangered languages on Almea

Post by Duaseron »

I was wondering if there are any endangered languages on Almea,
just like in our world.

Azdusha
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Endangered languages on Almea

Post by Azdusha »

If you don't consider Jeori to be dead, it's probably endangered

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

Cuezi is dead too! (as a native language anyway, and unlike Latin and Ancient Greek it seems to have left no descendants)
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

If you mean dying in 3480, the best place to look would be relatively recent conquests. Visecran, perhaps. Probably a number of Linaminche languages the Be have displaced.

There's a Kebreni variant in Koto that's dying out, too.

Karavinka
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Karavinka »

I imagine a number of Mgunikpe and Čia languages are dwindling in population.

As for Mgunikpe, they have been hunter-gatherers, likely to be small in population, and displaced by Čia-Ša and Gurdagor in large portions of their homeland. The remote Mgunikpe languages might be doing just fine, but I suspect the Gurdagor Creole would have replaced or reduced quite a few of them. (After all, they would be speaking dozens of different languages anyways)

Likewise, I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of the Čia who live outside the organized Čia states were more fluent in Gurdagor or Gurdagor Creole than their native languages. Luxae, which broke off from Gurdago earlier, might be more fluent in Luxajia, but Naeŋ, which broke off only about 60 years ago, might be more fluent in Gurdagor Creole than Načia.

(By the way, is there any hopes of seeing a creole grammar? Probably not in a near future, I guess...)