[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
zompist bboard • View topic - Back translation of Xurnese dzusuisi

zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:43 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Cu tas to zende šizenačum pel japisi to zenayc li zimi jaup dzus to mnoruc na šweriju ceš ze.
—Dogerač
That 1p OBV teach.INF can-not.1p-PRES but kid.PL OBV know.3p-PRES and woman.PL head behind OBV wear SUBORDINATOR principle this be.3s-PRES

This is a heavy sentence.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:37 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

By killing me, you hope to stop me; but you will only end me. I am a movement that has extended sixty years and up and down Niormen, and you have control only over its last few days. Sharp as your blades are, they cannot cut the past. I have already happened.

Myes i jese jidil i ešreac denjidzayc pel, myes cu i tas na deuc. Syu cu rau li petri Niormen ray semudeš sum dmuro dmaurij na reátuc peyga, myes ir tagri li bip dim neyo bunji vac šačuc. Mir eyki isauri šuosayc pel, ci oraup tey šizenačuc. Syu ci idzum oraej.

Bukameša's taunt to his judges. It was an awesome back translation to do. I like how I was able to use the conjuction jidil to express a cause-consequence within a wish. Here's the litteral translation :

"You hope to kill me to stop me, but you will only make me stop doing things. I am a movement that has lasted during 60 years in upper and lower Niormen, but you have no control whatsoever beyond my last few days. Your sword-edges may be sharp, but they cannot cut this past. I have already happened."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:26 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Note about Xurnese; it's hard to say if it is time concordant or not. Only small notes on past perfect and reported speech seems to lead to the conclusion that time concordance is a feature of Xurnese.

(Indirect speech in Japanese is not time concordant, for instance.)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:54 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

The more I immerse myself into Endajué's thought process, the more, to me, it makes sense. I don't mean the various superstitions of the people or even those of the Dzuséy. Frankly, as I am now accostumed to say, they are full of beriludzú, illusions (in French, I translated enbuements, to copy the source and avoid any side meaning).

I mean the whole mindset where the only common credo to all of Endajué is "We are Diverse, we are Together, we all Dance together, and we dance following a Path." As long as you only stick to that, what is left is a constant requestionning of your own beliefs. The credo does not make a complete belief system, and it certainly does not pinpoint the right way. But it reminds you to always question yourself, as in science we question all theories all the time to make them clearer. And, as time and our experiences go by, we can deepen our understanding and change our beliefs accordingly.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:25 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Reading this thread I get the impression Zomp's accidentally founded a new religion!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:30 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:10 am 
Lebom
Lebom

I could imagine myself becoming an Irreanist. I'd want access to Irrean's books, though, so that if I did join up, I could point to it when people ask about my religious activity.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:03 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:20 am 
Boardlord
Boardlord

It does seem a bit counter-intuitive, but just as we want the most modern scientific theories, perhaps we should also choose the most modern belief systems. After all, these should be compatible with (or at least aware of) the latest science and the latest philosophical and anthropological insights.

An objection might be that belief systems mature over time-- presumably, it takes a good deal of effort to work out all the implications, plug the holes, answer unbelievers' objections. (On the other hand, we'd surely want some empirical research on how much such improvement there is, and whether it balances the general process of getting out-of-date in our information-rich age.)

(Of course, belief systems are often invented by scoundrels. We could also use a well-defined index of scoundreldom. However, as a first approximation, I'd suggest that this correlates with the acreage of the founder's cult compound, and I'd helpfully add that mine is quite small.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:45 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Also, for those who would like an insider's view of Endajué, I have one, but only in French at the moment. I am planning an English translation shortly however.

http://daneydzaus.blogspot.jp/p/cest-to ... -sait.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:32 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:19 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

one would have to guess it's because he's writing the perspective of an equally fictitious narrator who's a practitioner of said religion?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:26 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:29 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Last edited by Yiuel Raumbesrairc on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:38 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:49 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:58 pm 
Boardlord
Boardlord

I think Yiuel is being clear about what he means: he's an insider because he's "someone who took Endajué's basic principles to the heart and is living with it". That is, he accepts the principles of the belief system and tries to apply them.

He's not an insider in the sense that he lives in Xurno, has an official position in a dzusnar, or is studying with a beylusu. If Endajué were like Judaism, that might be a big deal. But it's much more like, say, Taoism, a belief system that does not feel it important to issue membership cards.

(Which isn't to say that Endajué, in-world, never thought about boundaries at all. It did when distinguishing itself from Mešaism, and at times in competing with Bezuxau.)

(Also, in Xurno he'd be expected to find a mentor, but when the nearest dzusnar is across a trans-dimensional portal, we can cut Yiuel some slack.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:31 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:34 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:25 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

The question is, if Yiuel did manage to cross that trans-dimensional portal, would he definitely sign up with that mentor? If he would, then I would consider him Endajuesú.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:36 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:02 am 
Lebom
Lebom

I guess that by "su" you meant "xumaur". If I understand it correctly, "su" is a suffix like English "-er" or "-ist" (c.f. raysu "member").

And as for aujudo, would following your posts in this thread make me 1/6 Endajue? (1/7 if I count the šizaur reatuc -- but this is nitpicking).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:44 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:04 pm 
Lebom
Lebom

I didn't look it up in the dictionary either :-)

I think you took my last comment (about being 1/6 Endajuesu) way too seriously. I meant it as a joke.