Ktuvok-ese?

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Cypress
Sanci
Sanci

Ktuvok-ese?

Post by Cypress »

What is the language of the Ktuvoki? Does it vary from swamp to swamp?
I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT LANGUAGES!!! ^_^

Enjolras for President!

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

And did it borrow the word "Porridgeton" for anything?

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Whenever I see Ktuvok, I am reminded of Tuvok, from Star Trek: Voyager.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

So it's not just me...
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Unfortunately, I don't have any information on ktuvok languages. There's at least one per empire.

(BTW, but if Tuvok is from Voyager, it's much later than ktuvok. And much less interesting a word.)

Cor
Niš
Niš

Post by Cor »

con quesa wrote:
So it's not just me...
Me too!

gear
Sanci
Sanci

Post by gear »

zompist wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have any information on ktuvok languages. There's at least one per empire.

(BTW, but if Tuvok is from Voyager, it's much later than ktuvok. And much less interesting a word.)
The word ktuvok associates in my mind with the Finnish word kuvottava, which means disgusting, as well as its various forms.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Cor wrote:
con quesa wrote:
So it's not just me...
Me too!
Or me :roll:
vec

DF
Sanci
Sanci

Post by DF »

Funny, I'm not reminded of any other words...indeed, some other words remind of 'ktuvok'.

There have been other topics before about the ktuvok languages where I think zomp gave some ideas about ktuvok phonemes (not sure if he was serious though :wink: ). Try searching for them.

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom
Location: Somewhere far beyond your reality (Exeter, England)

Post by Warmaster »

I wasn't remined of tuvok actually, despite being a resonable voyager fan, i speak them slightly differently anyway, but i'm surprised i missed that really :roll:
Don't worry Girls, Explosions fix everything!

He who is also known as Ben

DF
Sanci
Sanci

Post by DF »

Zompist in an old thread wrote:Possible ktuvok phonemes: the snap of a slave's femur... the fricative hiss of necromantic spectres... the squirty sound of an imploding fish

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Mark also said once or twice--on the old VV board, I think--that he imagined the ktuvok language as "percussive" (probably involving clicks and thumps that would carry well underwater), as opposed to Eteodaole, the language of the ilii, which sounds like music to human ears.

Both species need to be able to communicate both in air and underwater; in terms of the underwater forms, the "songs" of whales and dolphins (which can include both iliu-like notes and whistles, and ktuvok-like clicks and groans) might provide a general idea.

p@,
Glenn

butsuri
Lebom
Lebom

Post by butsuri »

Amulek wrote:
Zompist in an old thread wrote:Possible ktuvok phonemes: the snap of a slave's femur... the fricative hiss of necromantic spectres... the squirty sound of an imploding fish
Since then I've always wondered if these are terms used by ktuvok grammarians.

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

butsuri wrote:
Amulek wrote:
Somehow I doubt that there exists any such creature as a ktuvok grammarian. How's that going to attract a mate?

Actually, I think that could be a real problem in acquiring materials on ktuvok languages. Field work could be very difficult, unless you were a really enterprising iliu spy with a tape-recorder that works in a swamp.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

gear
Sanci
Sanci

Post by gear »

So Haleza Grise wrote:
butsuri wrote:
Amulek wrote:
Somehow I doubt that there exists any such creature as a ktuvok grammarian. How's that going to attract a mate?
There are only so many femurs per slave you can snap. Teach them grammar so they know their lot in life. :mrgreen:

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

So Haleza Grise wrote:Since then I've always wondered if these are terms used by ktuvok grammarians.
Somehow I doubt that there exists any such creature as a ktuvok grammarian. How's that going to attract a mate?[/quote]

How do human grammarians attract mates, or do they have the same difficulty :mrgreen:

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Shm Jay wrote:
So Haleza Grise wrote:Since then I've always wondered if these are terms used by ktuvok grammarians.
How do human grammarians attract mates, or do they have the same difficulty :mrgreen:[/quote]I do think that the problem would be about the same, if you relied on your professional knowledge alone.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

butsuri
Lebom
Lebom

Post by butsuri »

Of course, it's the incongruity of a ktuvok grammarian that makes it such an appealing idea. Certainly ktuvok nature would seem to militate against such a career, but I imagine eccentrics can arise in any society... How would they transmit their work, though? Do modern ktuvoks employ scribes among their slaves?

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

butsuri wrote:Of course, it's the incongruity of a ktuvok grammarian that makes it such an appealing idea. Certainly ktuvok nature would seem to militate against such a career, but I imagine eccentrics can arise in any society... How would they transmit their work, though? Do modern ktuvoks employ scribes among their slaves?
"Transcribe that conversation, slave, or feel the wrath of my Bonecrusher!"
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

gear
Sanci
Sanci

Post by gear »

Drydic_guy wrote:
butsuri wrote:Of course, it's the incongruity of a ktuvok grammarian that makes it such an appealing idea. Certainly ktuvok nature would seem to militate against such a career, but I imagine eccentrics can arise in any society... How would they transmit their work, though? Do modern ktuvoks employ scribes among their slaves?
"Transcribe that conversation, slave, or feel the wrath of my Bonecrusher!"
The Ktuvok Grammarian hits! -- more -- You die. Would you like your possessions to be identified? [y/n]

:wink: