Poll: Favourite Almean languages

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Poll: Favourite Almean languages

Post by Ketumak »

What's your favourite Almean language and why?

Mine is . I like isolating languages, the way they rely so much on syntax to do things. I like the fact that it's tonal and I like the writing system.

My second favourite is Uyseʔ for similar reasons.

justin
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Poll: Favourite Almean languages

Post by justin »

I like Elkarîl and Flaidish.
Elkarîl mostly because of the writing system--I never in a million years would have come up with writing based on pictures of faces.
Flaidish because it's similar to English phonologically while being utterly unlike English in grammar.
Soî yelî sanoralî er verdî dormü gurišece.
Se vŕeȥe ili buz orarn dŕmn gulregi.
Economic Left/Right: -5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92

Thomas Winwood
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Thomas Winwood »

I like Xurnese most. It meets a balance of friendliness and unfamiliarity for me.

Genome
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Genome »

I also pick Xurnese as my favorite. It's very strange yet very fun.

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

If I could only pick one it would be Flaidish. I also have a soft spot for Wedei. But I can think of something good to say about all of them.

Clearsand
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Clearsand »

I haven't looked at many of the Almean languages in a while, but if I had to pick a favorite from what I remember, I would probably choose Elkaril for its interesting sentence structure, meaning changing vowel shifts, and unique face writing system. Actually, (This is opposite to what justin said) it sounds like just the kind of wrting system I would think up. I actually once made up a writing system where individual eyes stand for syllables. Really though, I'm not sure it could work in real life. It seems a little too artificial and unwieldly to be practical.
I've also always especially liked Flaidish, Xurnese, Old skourene and Munkhashi, in that order. All the Amean conlanga are very cool in their own way. I constantly wish I had some natlangs layed out the same way. :-D
Tana, Iáin voyre so Meď im soa mezinä, řo pro sudir soa mezinä, ac pro spasian soa mezinë ab ilun.

Azdusha
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Azdusha »

I've always liked Old Skourene, the triconsonantal roots are fun (but who doesn't love those?), but the sound, feel and look of the language is just divine. I'd name a kid in Old Skourene if they wouldn't get bullied for it. Xurnese is also great, it looks so intimidating on the front of it but isn't so scary once you dig a bit. And wedei is nice too. I can't think of what praises i'd give it, but it's nice overall.
Last edited by Azdusha on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

I get a special kick out of Elkarîl and Kebreni. Out of the Eastern languages I like Ismaîn and Cuêzi the most.
vec

Civil War Bugle
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Civil War Bugle »

I like the Flaids in general, and to a lesser extent the Kebreni, along with their languages. The Flaids are the non-humans we see the most of, since they are near Verduria which is the viewpoint country, and I enjoy hearing about the non-human Almeans. Kebri has similar panache since they are 'good' guys that we hear a lot about (nothing against the Ktuvok empires, they just didn't have their languages posted as early as Kebreni was posted) and they have a non-Eastern language.

Barakhinei is also pretty cool, since no one else has mentioned it.

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

I thought I'd pop back after a few days and do some totals, look for patterns etc., but voting is all over the place. I think the only firm conclusion we can draw so far is that there's something in Almea to suit a wide range of tastes. Keep voting, folks!

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Kebreni would be my number one. But I do retain soft spots for Cuêzi and Verdurian.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

BGMan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by BGMan »

I like most of the Erelaean languages -- Eastern, Eynleyni, Old Skourene, Flaidish. I seem to prefer inflecting languages over isolating (too boring) or agglutinating (too mechanical), so I'm sort of the opposite of the OP. :mrgreen:

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

BGMan wrote:isolating (too boring)
hrmpf
vec

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

Old Skourene and Kebreni are my faves, although I think Verdurian has a nice feel to it.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Herra Ratatoskr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

I've always had a soft spot for Ismaîn.
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!

There are 10 types of people in this world:
-Those who understand binary
-Those who don't

Mater tua circeta ibat et pater tuus sambucorum olficiebat!

Karavinka
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Karavinka »

Wede:i. Are we ever going to see a Cuolese or Jeori grammar?

Though based purely on the phonotactics, I think it goes for Nanese, even though it's just a few scattered names at the moment. And Neinuoian, which looks ... well, intriguing.

Birdlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Birdlang »

I like all of the Almean languages, especially Lé, Uyse (sorry, I don't have glyf), Verdurian, Wede:i and Old Skourene, because they mostly use diacritics (some on vowels like Lé and Verdurian, some on consonants like Uyse Old Skourene and Wede:I and Verdurian, and some on both like Verdurian). What style of capital eng is used for your conlangs?
Hello there. Chirp chirp chirp.

Hydroeccentricity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hydroeccentricity »

Third Place: Verdurian. It has a pleasing familiarity for I-E fans, and the Romance/Slavic combination pretty much guarantees a beautiful sound. Also it's hard not to like a language that has a strong dictionary and its own native grammatician.

Second Place: Kebreni. The Monkhayic languages in general have a "lost world" appeal to them, like Breton or Basque. I love that the verbs conjugate for something other than the usual person, tense, number, etc. It's just alien enough.

First Place: It's a tie! Barakhinei and Ismain. I like the languages around the periphery of Verduria the most. They have unique characters while being recognizably related to Verdurian. I love the toughness of Barakhinei (especially since its literary scene is mostly women), and the nancy-pants crypto-French quality of Ismain. Now all we need is the language of Viminia, which would undoubtedly be full of unnecessarily long, lilting vowels and charmingly out of date vocabulary. Swoon!

Honorary mention: Since I am clearly a greater Eretald chauvinist, I should point out that I also like Xurnese and Dhekhnami. Actually, the more I think about it, the harder it is for me to keep this list short.
"I'm sorry, when you have all As in every class in every semester, it's not easy to treat the idea that your views are fundamentally incoherent as a serious proposition."

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

For reasons completely unrelated to linguistics, Xurnese is my favorite.

I like all languages, though Kebreni is completely spoiled, as I am a speaker of French, English and Japanese.
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Arzena
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Arzena »

Cuezi and Xurnese are my top two. I really want to see finished Tžuro and Teôši though
A New Yorker wrote:Isn't it sort of a relief to talk about the English Premier League instead of the sad state of publishing?
Abi wrote:At this point it seems pretty apparent that PIE was simply an ancient esperanto gone awry.
Shtåså, Empotle7á, Neire Wippwo

Birdlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Birdlang »

But my favorite has to be Lé, I have always wanted to make an African style language, and Elkarîl, I like the use of the circumflex for a lax vowel set, and the face script.
Hello there. Chirp chirp chirp.

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

Hydroeccentricity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hydroeccentricity »

Using the super secret math that only I understand, I came up with this:
Sorry for the digraphs; I am a lazy lady when it comes to charts.

Xurnese is the clear winner, but aside from that the Eastern languages fared poorly. Also, nobody likes the classical languages Cadhinorian or Axunashin, or the Eynleyni languages. Also nobody voted for Proto-Eastern. Such a shame.

Zompist, if you're using this list as customer feedback, the path is clear: stop wasting time giving diachronic context to languages, and stop trying to make us care about the Ktuvok minions. We want more weird hobbit languages and Xs. Lots of Xs.
"I'm sorry, when you have all As in every class in every semester, it's not easy to treat the idea that your views are fundamentally incoherent as a serious proposition."

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

I suspect it's because the Eastern languages have been up for longest and have lost the shiny newness sparkle in people's heads.

Mind you I'd hate to have to struggle with the Munkhashi & Dhekhnami verb systems.

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

Mornche Geddick wrote:I suspect it's because the Eastern languages have been up for longest and have lost the shiny newness sparkle in people's heads.

Mind you I'd hate to have to struggle with the Munkhashi & Dhekhnami verb systems.
The Munkhashi and Dhekhnami verb systems are rather pretty straightforward to me, though.

(Then again, I speak Japanese, which when used in a certain way, has the exact same way of expressing rank!)
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus