zompist bboard

THIS IS AN ARCHIVE ONLY - see Ephemera
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:26 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:42 am
Posts: 639
Location: Reykjavík, Iceland
You give the pronunciation of Syxesteer as /'səks əs tir/. However, later you say "Flaidish vowels are not reduced to schwa, unless they're written with y or final -a. Thus Muncham = /mʋnčæm/ not /mʋnčəm/; nolleck is /nɔlɛk/ not /nɔlək/." Shouldn't the capital's name thus be /'səks ɛs tir/?

The document also always uses the symbol for the labiodental approximant /ʋ/ instead of the symbol for the close vowel /ʊ/. This may have had something to do with technical limitations at the time of writing. The IPA consistently shows up in a different font. You can of course fix this now by 2014.

What is the rule for pronouncing vowels in open syllables? I'm having a hard time discerning it from the text. Is it according to spelling, whether written double or single, or is there more to it?

Finally, why does tresspo [trɛspo] but lele [lili]? How come these two finals didn't develop analoguously?

_________________
vec


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:45 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:03 pm
Posts: 593
Location: Nijmegen, Netherlands
vec wrote:
What is the rule for pronouncing vowels in open syllables? I'm having a hard time discerning it from the text. Is it according to spelling, whether written double or single, or is there more to it?

As far as I can see, it only depends on whether the following consonant is written double or single, as is <nolleck> /nɔlɛk/ and <goreck> /gurɛk/.

_________________
Bearlandic - Kunesian - Nåmúþ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:48 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:42 am
Posts: 639
Location: Reykjavík, Iceland
Dē Graut Bʉr wrote:
vec wrote:
What is the rule for pronouncing vowels in open syllables? I'm having a hard time discerning it from the text. Is it according to spelling, whether written double or single, or is there more to it?

As far as I can see, it only depends on whether the following consonant is written double or single, as is <nolleck> /nɔlɛk/ and <goreck> /gurɛk/.

Then shouldn't Syxesteer be /'səks ɛs tir/?

_________________
vec


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:04 am 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:03 pm
Posts: 593
Location: Nijmegen, Netherlands
vec wrote:
Dē Graut Bʉr wrote:
vec wrote:
What is the rule for pronouncing vowels in open syllables? I'm having a hard time discerning it from the text. Is it according to spelling, whether written double or single, or is there more to it?

As far as I can see, it only depends on whether the following consonant is written double or single, as is <nolleck> /nɔlɛk/ and <goreck> /gurɛk/.

Then shouldn't Syxesteer be /'səks ɛs tir/?

Probably.

_________________
Bearlandic - Kunesian - Nåmúþ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:02 am 
Boardlord
Boardlord

Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:26 pm
Posts: 3377
Location: In the den
Yeah, the middle vowel shouldn't be reduced.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:44 pm 
Avisaru
Avisaru

Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:03 pm
Posts: 593
Location: Nijmegen, Netherlands
Could you then correct it?

_________________
Bearlandic - Kunesian - Nåmúþ


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group