On Krwŋese

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Pedant
Lebom
Lebom

On Krwŋese

Post by Pedant »

It's an odd thing, I realize, but I was looking over the Krwŋese cognates in the Uyseʔ lexicon, and I thought I'd make a list of all the cognate sounds in the set. For example:
Fwnoy/Funuy/"sacrifice to ancestors"
Understandable enough; so /u/ in Uyseʔ is /w/ in Krwŋese after a consonant, or /o/ before a /j/. Next:
Krwŋ/Krun/?
Okay, so /u/ is /w/ here, but where did the /ŋ/ come from? Was it there all along, and altered by position in fwnoy, so "sacrifice" would actually be **fwŋ? And then:
Nyekyɔu/Nyekyau/"(son) of-shrine"
Actually, to be fair, Zompist did comment on the vowel shift in the Historical Atlas. I think I'd better look back and see if there are any more words...
What I'm getting at here is: was there ever a Proto-Uyseʔ set up? Or are the sound changes just likely cognates from relatives in the area? I'm curious in part because I've been doing some (probably illegal) work on Siadese, and even there one finds some irregularities (unless they're just more complex changes that I've missed; equally possible).

Pedant
Lebom
Lebom

Re: On Krwŋese

Post by Pedant »

Any thoughts?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Don't bump threads here. If you look at my blog you will see that I am preoccupied right now.

Pedant
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pedant »

My sincerest apologies, and condolences. I didn't realize. I'll cease in future.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Had some time to check notes. Two more to add to your list:

Photwor / Photwr (a city)
Solsrin / Susirn (an emperor)

Uyseʔ is a sister language of Krwŋese, so the reason for alternations like Krun/Krwŋ undoubtedly lie in the proto-language.

I didn't work out an actual proto-Uyseʔ. However, I do have a small set of sound changes for deriving Siadese words.

Pedant
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pedant »

Right! That makes a lot more sense.