Skourene Bsopa

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Pedant
Lebom
Lebom

Skourene Bsopa

Post by Pedant »

Could it be asked by what form one would address one's uncles (or aunts) in Old Skourene, given that the bsepa-structure suggests there'll be a lot of these? Would it be the same as the words for parents, the former with a prefix to denote distance, or are there separate roots as in Wede:i?
Sorry to bother again...

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: Skourene Bsopa

Post by zompist »

Can't answer yet, as this will require thinking out OS kinship terms. I'm trying to move away from making them all European style!

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

While it's true most European languages use the Eskimo kinship system I wanna say a few of them don't. Icelandic uses an Eskimo variant that conflates cousins with aunts and uncles, but I feel like there are more "exotic" systems in user elsewhere. Anyone know more about this?
vec

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

It seems like earlier European kinship systems were in fact Sudanese, or at least Latin and Old English were. avunculus for example, from which we get "avuncular", was specifically a maternal uncle (a paternal uncle was patruus).

It's not hard to see the development of Eskimo kinship in modern European systems as mirroring the rise in importance of nuclear families.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.