First person singular imperative

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

First person singular imperative

Post by Chengjiang »

Verdurian's imperative forms for all persons and numbers are clear to me for the most part. Second person imperatives are equivalent to the imperative of English and most other Western languages, third person imperatives are jussives (e.g. "Let him come here"), and the first person plural imperative is a cohortative (e.g. "Let's do that"). But what does one actually use a first person singular imperative for? I can't think of any situations where it makes sense. The closest I can get is an expression of hope for one's future actions, or perhaps a prayer to deity to influence one's actions or their results (e.g. "Let me be victorious"). These strike me as only dubiously called imperative semantically, but are they perhaps imperative grammatically in Verdurian? Is there some other use I'm missing?
[ʈʂʰɤŋtɕjɑŋ], or whatever you can comfortably pronounce that's close to that

Formerly known as Primordial Soup

Supporter of use of [ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ] in transcription

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a 青.

Vijay
Smeric
Smeric

Re: First person singular imperative

Post by Vijay »

Chengjiang wrote:But what does one actually use a first person singular imperative for? I can't think of any situations where it makes sense. The closest I can get is an expression of hope for one's future actions, or perhaps a prayer to deity to influence one's actions or their results (e.g. "Let me be victorious"). [...] Is there some other use I'm missing?
Let me see...:D

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chengjiang »

Vijay wrote:Let me see...:D
Well played, although I don't think you can really call that a 1SG imperative, any more than "let me have one of those" is.
[ʈʂʰɤŋtɕjɑŋ], or whatever you can comfortably pronounce that's close to that

Formerly known as Primordial Soup

Supporter of use of [ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ] in transcription

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a 青.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Dóbrece advečenai!

You can think of them as jussives.

You can definitely apply an exhortation, a command, or a wish to yourself! Zařezenai, I must get to work! Hipřaneru, time for me to get drunk!

English equivalents can sound awkward, of course. E.g. someone hiding could tell themselves, Řo šaleanai! You could translate this "Let me not breathe!" but the Verdurian has no hint of being a prayer.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

I see nothing wrong with Vijay's examples. 1st person imperatives are just extremely rare in English, so they look weird and are usually also a construction for something else (as zompist said, many look like prayers).
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

I don't think they're that uncommon. "Let me think" or "let me get that for you" are pretty pragmatically useful.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.