C versus K in loanwords into Verdurian

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

C versus K in loanwords into Verdurian

Post by Chengjiang »

When we write (relatively recent, minimally Verdurianized) loanwords into Verdurian from other Almean languages, is the practice typically to spell them more as they were in their language, or to spell them more or less as Verdurian words? I'm thinking especially of the representation of [k] and [q]. A lot of loanwords from languages that don't have a [q] appear to have <k> in Verdurian, at least as romanized. Does Verdurian have [q] in kebrenei and pkekpe, or is the <k> a convention of the romanization? (Admittedly, in the former case I could see it being a spelling pronunciation since Kebreni represents [k] with the letter Verdurian uses for [q].)
[ʈʂʰɤŋtɕjɑŋ], or whatever you can comfortably pronounce that's close to that

Formerly known as Primordial Soup

Supporter of use of [ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ] in transcription

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a 青.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: C versus K in loanwords into Verdurian

Post by zompist »

With Flaidish and Kebreni, it depends on whether the word was borrowed by eye or by ear. E.g. yuc 'slot' < Flaidish ʔuuk attempts to preserve the sound. Kebri is borrowed orthographically, but it would be pronounced with [q].

I haven't worked out the Western languages so I can't tell you about pkekpe at this point. :)

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

How come Cadhinor also has a k? I'm assuming that (Old?) Kebreni wouldn't have been written down using the current orthography during the period?
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Cadhinor has Ceibri. And always has, of course. Eastasia has always been at war with Oceania.

(Good catch, thanks!)