Why no Verdurian font for Linux?

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
snappdragon
Sanci
Sanci

Why no Verdurian font for Linux?

Post by snappdragon »

I'm asking because I do most linguistic and worldbuilding stuff on my Linux partition, while I do things involving programming and gaming on my Windows partition (seems kinda backwards, but this is cause Unity on Linux doesn't work properly), and I want to be able to use the Verdurian font if I ever decided I wanted to add to your conworld or say that somehow the alphabet arrived in my conworld via... what was that third way of transporting from Earth to Almea? "Improbaballistics"? Sure. Lets go Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy style.

The main problem here being that your Verdurian fonts are TrueType fonts... for Windows.

I'll go digging around to see if I can find out how Linux handles fonts, but otherwise I'm looking at you Zompist.
~$ snappdragon
Linguistic novice, worldbuilding newbie. Also, wants to be a game developer.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Why no Verdurian font for Linux?

Post by Pole, the »

I don't know, I can install them on KDE just fine.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

snappdragon
Sanci
Sanci

Post by snappdragon »

Pole, the wrote:I don't know, I can install them on KDE just fine.
I'm using Devuan with XFCE, sooooooooooo however you installed the fonts on KDE might not work.
~$ snappdragon

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

I don't have Linux and I don't have a font program any more, so I can't help you directly. If someone wants to create a Linux font, they're welcome to. If it helps I can send them the Fontographer files. (They don't work on my Mac because Apple keeps changing its CPU, and that program was two cycles ago.)

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

snappdragon wrote:
Pole, the wrote:I don't know, I can install them on KDE just fine.
I'm using Devuan with XFCE, sooooooooooo however you installed the fonts on KDE might not work.
I am using Debian Sid and I just used the default font utility.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Aili Meilani
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aili Meilani »

snappdragon wrote:The main problem here being that your Verdurian fonts are TrueType fonts... for Windows.
TrueType/OpenType doesn't work the way you think it does, it doesn't give a slightest fuck about your OS. Just drop them into ~/.fonts and refresh the font cache, fontconfig and FreeType will take care of the rest.

snappdragon
Sanci
Sanci

Post by snappdragon »

Aili Meilani wrote:
snappdragon wrote:The main problem here being that your Verdurian fonts are TrueType fonts... for Windows.
TrueType/OpenType doesn't work the way you think it does, it doesn't give a slightest fuck about your OS. Just drop them into ~/.fonts and refresh the font cache, fontconfig and FreeType will take care of the rest.
Part of me loves how you said that. Another part of me feels like an idiot. And the final part says "well I put Maraille.ttf in /usr/local/share/fonts/ but it doesn't work right"

Before you ask, I checked my home folder. There is no ~/.fonts in Devuan. Just /usr/local/share/fonts/ and /usr/share/fonts/... which has subfolders cmap, truetype, type1, and X11. And truetype has subfolders dejavu, droid, freefont, gentium, gentium-basic, liberation, and openoffice.

wtf Devuan???
~$ snappdragon

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Before you ask, I checked my home folder. There is no ~/.fonts in Devuan.
mkdir ~/.fonts?