Unusual Almean sound changes

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Unusual Almean sound changes

Post by Chengjiang »

Zomp, I was curious about the real-world inspiration (if applicable) or the motivation for some of the stranger sound changes in Almean languages. In particular, I was wondering about the cases in Cuezi and Cadhinor where certain consonants voice or devoice in apparent response to a combination of the quality and the length of the following vowel. Maybe I’m just ignorant, but I’ve never heard of this sort of change outside of these cases. I was also interested in the ct > zh(t) change in Verdurian, especially the fact that the result is voiced. I kind of like that there are some more oddball changes in the history of Almean languages; I just feel like my understanding of them is missing something.
[ʈʂʰɤŋtɕjɑŋ], or whatever you can comfortably pronounce that's close to that

Formerly known as Primordial Soup

Supporter of use of [ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ] in transcription

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a 青.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: Unusual Almean sound changes

Post by zompist »

Well, two general caveats:

* Cuêzi/Caďinor were reworkings and often had to be stretched to more or less fit existing material.
* Real life sound changes can be frigging weird. It's fine to stick to the more common changes, but there are some really weird ones out there. A neat one from the numbers page: in the New Hebrides family, *vati '4' > yeð in one language, θarr in another.

For ct > ʒ... well, look at Latin: ct > Italian tt (boring), Spanish ts, Portuguese it or ut (noite, doute). Argentine Spanish has j > ʒ — lleno > [ʒeno]. So a progression ct > it > jt > ʒt seems possible.

As for the fortitions... er, well, they do happen, even if lenition is far more common. :)

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Unusual Almean sound changes

Post by mèþru »

Weren't there a lot of weird fortitions between Classical Latin and modern Romance? As well some fortition in general in the history of any given extant Indo-European language.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť