Cadhinorian Religion

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Owain
Niš
Niš

Cadhinorian Religion

Post by Owain »

The revised page on this is up.
http://www.zompist.com/pagan.htm
Reading through now - enjoyed the greater depiction of Methaiun religion, and the first major change to the depiction of the Cadhinorian I've noticed is a greater attribution to Methaiun influence.

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Cadhinorian Religion

Post by Mornche Geddick »

Yay!

It does strike me that the stories of the "conquered Caďin maintaining their faith against horrific oppression" must have some basis in fact. We'd be talking about minority sects, some of whom would flee to the free states, bringing the stories with them.

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

Mornche Geddick wrote:Yay!

It does strike me that the stories of the "conquered Caďin maintaining their faith against horrific oppression" must have some basis in fact. We'd be talking about minority sects, some of whom would flee to the free states, bringing the stories with them.
Completely agree.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

I'm really excited about this. It makes the religion/culture more cohesive, and fleshes out some of the details.

In particular I like the way Boďneay's character comes through in the stories about Kolleva.

I think my favourite illustration is of Išira, who does seem to have something of Margaret Dumont about her. The one of Ervëa appears not to be working though.

The more consistent use of Caďinor makes it less "Verdurian-centric" but was a little disorienting to me. But I liked that we got to find out more about Sarroc religion and how the gods differ in other areas.

I don't know if anyone other than scholars would have occasion to actually know the name of the six Demoshi gods - do the Verdurians normally use the Verdurian names of the demons when they are describing the gods of Dhekhnam?
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Mornche Geddick wrote:Yay!

Somewhat, sure. But it would have been hard for new stories to propagate.

When the Cadhinorians liberated them, I can see 3 general possibilities for these stories:

1. They're versions of the old stories. Yay, they're allowed to keep them.
2. The claetanda priests find them disturbing or incompatible with existing doctrine. They would be suppressed (or driven underground).
3. The priests find them odd but acceptable. They remain a part of local practice... but they mostly escape documentation.

Still, mythology from popular culture could percolate up into the official religion.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

So Haleza Grise wrote:I don't know if anyone other than scholars would have occasion to actually know the name of the six Demoshi gods - do the Verdurians normally use the Verdurian names of the demons when they are describing the gods of Dhekhnam?
The modern names are different enough that a Verdurian might well think some of the gods had changed. But yeah, it doesn't come up much... Verdurians and Dhekhnamis aren't supposed to trade directly.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Uploaded the Ervëa pic. There were a lot of things to upload and it got missed.

(If you didn't notice: the Verdurian and Cadhinor lexicons are also updated.)

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

I really like the old version - Durion's Yamaha CS-80 and all! Can you keep it around for comparison?

P.S. In the case of 2. let the suppressed myths bubble up again during the dark years, ready for the radical sects to brandish at the priests.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

What I was hoping to do was put up the really old version— the one I wrote decades ago. It's even sillier. But I can't find it. Hopefully it will turn up...

butsuri
Lebom
Lebom

Post by butsuri »

The link to the Caďinor lexicon is broken (it points to http://www.zompist.com/cadhdict.htm rather than http://www.zompist.com/cadhlex.htm).

An apparent contradiction: the section on the Fates says «They never enter the realm of worship, perhaps in part because they bear no outside influence; as one poet tells us, “even Endauron pleads in vain with them.”», but the Aďivro includes «prayers to the Fates».

mèþru
Smeric
Smeric

Post by mèþru »

That's not an inconsistency. Just because you can't plead with them doesn't mean that forgetting them could incure wrath or something. And religion is filled with contradiction and evolution; that is the main theme of the update.
ìtsanso, God In The Mountain, may our names inspire the deepest feelings of fear in urkos and all his ilk, for we have saved another man from his lies! I welcome back to the feast hall kal, who will never gamble again! May the eleven gods bless him!
kårroť

butsuri
Lebom
Lebom

Post by butsuri »

That would nonetheless still be part of "the realm of worship".

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

butsuri wrote:The link to the Caďinor lexicon is broken (it points to http://www.zompist.com/cadhdict.htm rather than http://www.zompist.com/cadhlex.htm).
Fixed, thanks!
An apparent contradiction: the section on the Fates says «They never enter the realm of worship, perhaps in part because they bear no outside influence; as one poet tells us, “even Endauron pleads in vain with them.”», but the Aďivro includes «prayers to the Fates».
I changed it to "praise". One can praise without expecting anything in return. :)

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

I enjoyed this greatly. I always thought that the Cadhinorian page was the weakest of the religion pages, and this is far more internally consistent and logical.

Zomp, you mention boys going through ordeals as part of the nacuis- one of them being piercing of the foreskin. I thought Almean humans didn't have a glans or a foreskin?
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Frislander
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Frislander »

Also, your short comment about the linguistic differences between the Cad'in and Cuzeians in the Historical outline is quite confusingly worded, and appears to imply that it's the Cuzeians that speak a Central language not the Cad'in.
https://frislander.tumblr.com/

First known on here as Karero

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Good catch on the foreskin. That was an error in the old version too.

I clarified that introductory section too.

Azdusha
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Azdusha »

Another small correction: in the spirituality section towards the end, you state "there are several orders of monastic monks" when I think you mean warrior monks

Overall a great read, definitely gave me a lot to think about for my own conreligions

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

I've noticed that the Practical Course makes a few references to worshipping Enäron, which I think might be incongruous with the description of modern religion. I think there might also need to be some updates to the Lexicon, but I haven't checked in detail for what those might be.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Good news: while moving, I found the pre-web versions of the Cadhinorian paganism pages.

Bad news: they're pretty terrible. They consist of a bunch of bombastic faux-Chestertonian descriptions, plus descriptions of the gods that aren't nearly as humorous as I remembered.

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Perhaps it's good that the gods don't see you publish that blasphemy then!

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

zompist wrote:...a bunch of bombastic faux-Chestertonian descriptions...
Have you tried feeding Father Brown into the Markov Generator yet?