Attention!

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Space Dracula
Lebom
Lebom

Attention!

Post by Space Dracula »

An anagram of "Almea Verduria" is "a viral urea med".

We also have "I'm red lava urea".
<Dudicon> i would but you're too fat to fit in my mouth!!

Jeos Thegimis
Niš
Niš

Post by Jeos Thegimis »

anything with out "urea"?
[url=http://republic.uni.cc][img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/Chrimigules/imagination.png[/img][/url]

http://www.politicalcompass.com
Economic Left/Right: -6.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Space Dracula
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Space Dracula »

Jeos Thegimis wrote:anything with out "urea"?
Quite a few. Those just caught my eye, because I needed to urinate.

Ghost
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ghost »

Thanks for sharing that with us Spacey.

Ghost :roll:
[url=http://www.emalaith.com/census.html]ZBB Census 2006[/url]

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Space Dracula wrote: Quite a few. Those just caught my eye, because I needed to urinate.
Care to tell us about the experience? Was the colour yellow, or pale? Was the duration long or short? Did it foam up or just stay there? Did you make a noisy burble-splash into the water, or a dull hiss onto the toilet bowl rim? Did you catch the urine in a glass beaker so you could swish it around and make a medical diagnosis from it like the doctors of medieval and Elizabethan times? :mrgreen:

Oh, that makes me wonder if Almean medicine still, or ever, makes use of examining urine.

Jaaaaaa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jaaaaaa »

Shm Jay wrote:
Space Dracula wrote: Quite a few. Those just caught my eye, because I needed to urinate.
Care to tell us about the experience? Was the colour yellow, or pale? Was the duration long or short? Did it foam up or just stay there? Did you make a noisy burble-splash into the water, or a dull hiss onto the toilet bowl rim? Did you catch the urine in a glass beaker so you could swish it around and make a medical diagnosis from it like the doctors of medieval and Elizabethan times? :mrgreen:

Oh, that makes me wonder if Almean medicine still, or ever, makes use of examining urine.
Don't they still (on earth)? I had my urine examined before a blood test, IIRC

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Jaaaaaa wrote:
Shm Jay wrote:Oh, that makes me wonder if Almean medicine still, or ever, makes use of examining urine.
Well, today they analyze urine specimens for the presence of different chemical compounds, infectious organisms, etc., but as Jay noted, in medieval and Renaissance times some doctors analyzed urine by looking at it--the color, consistency, whether and how it settled into layers if placed in a clear flask--and attempting to deduce all sorts of things about their patient's health from this.

In the fantasy novel The Lions of Al-Rassam by Guy Gavriel Kay, which is inspired by eleventh-century Moorish Spain, one of the main female charaters is a physician (as is her father, who taught her the art), and analyzes urine in this fashion; one of her prized possessions is the glass urine flask that she inherited from her father.

p@,
Glenn

Twpsyn Pentref
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Twpsyn Pentref »

And what are the anagrams that don't have the word "urea" in them? I'm dying to know.

Speaking of urine, the ancient Romans washed their clothes in it.
So take this body at sunset to the great stream whose pulses start in the blue hills, and let these ashes drift from the Long Bridge where only a late gull breaks that deep and populous grave.

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

Glenn Kempf wrote:Well, today they analyze urine specimens for the presence of different chemical compounds, infectious organisms, etc., but as Jay noted, in medieval and Renaissance times some doctors analyzed urine by looking at it--the color, consistency, whether and how it settled into layers if placed in a clear flask--and attempting to deduce all sorts of things about their patient's health from this.
And by tasting it.

Jay, you forgot to ask Spacey how strongly it smelled, if at all. And any details of splash-back or missing the target :P
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

Neon Fox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Neon Fox »

Twpsyn Pentref wrote: Speaking of urine, the ancient Romans washed their clothes in it.
Well, not quite. They used it as bleach for white togas.

--Neon Fox

Twpsyn Pentref
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Twpsyn Pentref »

Neon Fox wrote:
Twpsyn Pentref wrote: Speaking of urine, the ancient Romans washed their clothes in it.
Well, not quite. They used it as bleach for white togas.
Whatever. Same difference.
So take this body at sunset to the great stream whose pulses start in the blue hills, and let these ashes drift from the Long Bridge where only a late gull breaks that deep and populous grave.

Jeos Thegimis
Niš
Niš

Post by Jeos Thegimis »

didn't the Mongols wash in their horse's urine though? They washed something in it.
[url=http://republic.uni.cc][img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/Chrimigules/imagination.png[/img][/url]

http://www.politicalcompass.com
Economic Left/Right: -6.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Jaaaaaa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jaaaaaa »

Jeos Thegimis wrote:didn't the Mongols wash in their horse's urine though? They washed something in it.
They did everything in or with their horses' fliuds.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

I've heard some tribes in the poorer, drier parts of the world still do use cow urine to wash themselves. Menopausal women in America today eat concentrated horse-urine pills (Premarin, Prempro) to buffet their levels of estrogen, but I'm sure it's a heavily processed form.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

Jaaaaaa wrote:
Shm Jay wrote:

Well, that's between you and your "doctor".

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Rory wrote:Jay, you forgot to ask Spacey how strongly it smelled, if at all. And any details of splash-back or missing the target :P
Oh, yes, you?re right. Well, Spacey?

By the way, I wish some philosopher, whether Almean or otherwise, would explain why urine is sometimes foamy and sometimes not. I would even accept a Xurnese dance explanation. I read somewhere that it has to do with the prostate. :oops: Now that I?ve said the word, it?s kind of embarrassing to talk about it in mixed company. Urine is universal, but certain body parts are not. To provide balance, I will now say the word uterus. Actually it?s a word I seldom get to use, whether in English, Esperanto (utero) or Verdurian (soa auva). There?s no word for prostate in Verdurian, by the way.

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

You know, I don't think that I've said the word "uterus" in over six months.

Vagina, I've said. Clitoris, I've said. But not uterus. Wierd.
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

con quesa wrote:You know, I don't think that I've said the word "uterus" in over six months.
I can?t remember the last time I said ?ovary? out loud, let alone ?Fallopian tubes?. I ought to know what the male equivalent of a Fallopian tube is, yet I can?t remember it. Apparently they?re not words in Mark?s usual vocabulary either, for although you can say soa gamerka you can?t say the other words I mentioned, but you can say soa shagati, soa odhi, soa baslevi.

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

My languages have a lot of words for women's insides (and men's, to a lesser extent). Womb, Fallopian tubes, Ovaries, Pregnant, Fetus, Embryo, Placenta, Umbilical Cord, Breast, Nipple, and Breast Milk are all basic, non-compound roots in Andanese and most other conlangs I have, and a lot of them even have more than one noncompound root. Generally, in Andanese, body parts that come in pairs are referred to in pairs by default.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Space Dracula
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Space Dracula »

Mercator wrote:My languages have a lot of words for women's insides (and men's, to a lesser extent). Womb, Fallopian tubes, Ovaries, Pregnant, Fetus, Embryo, Placenta, Umbilical Cord, Breast, Nipple, and Breast Milk are all basic, non-compound roots in Andanese and most other conlangs I have, and a lot of them even have more than one noncompound root. Generally, in Andanese, body parts that come in pairs are referred to in pairs by default.
I wouldn't call a breast an inside part. At least, not in an ideal world.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Bangladeshians are cool.
vec

Twpsyn Pentref
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Twpsyn Pentref »

vegfarandi wrote:Bangladeshians are cool.
?

Random.

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

Shm Jay wrote:There’s no word for prostate in Verdurian, by the way.
Zompist is a sexist!!!
Shm Jay wrote:I ought to know what the male equivalent of a Fallopian tube is, yet I can’t remember it.
The urethra? Or just simply the "sperm ducts"? I don't think "Fallopian tube" is the proper medical term, strangely enough...

*consults notes*

Or not... I can't find my Human Biology book, bah...
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

I ought to know what the male equivalent of a Fallopian tube is, yet I can’t remember it.

Vas deferens?
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

con quesa wrote:Vas deferens?
That?s it! :o