I know you don't like fantasy art much, zompist, but...

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
NakedCelt
Sanci
Sanci

I know you don't like fantasy art much, zompist, but...

Post by NakedCelt »

Iliu and Ktuvok

Comments? Suggestions? Dismissals? Noises of disgust? Leave 'em here or on Elfwood.
[url=http://nakedcelt.zoomshare.com/files/index.html]The Naked Celt[/url]
[url=http://gyro.opsa.org.nz/][i]Gyro[/i][/url]

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Ahem... Ehm...

What?

I don't understand the drawing. It seems as though the Iliu stands on the Ktuvok's knee with his other foot oh his sholder...

A very strange way to fight an enemy.
Last edited by vec on Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vec

NakedCelt
Sanci
Sanci

Post by NakedCelt »

vegfarandi wrote:Ahem... Ehm...

What?

I don't understand the drawing. It's perspective is off. It seems as though the Iliu stands on the Ktuvok's knee with his other foot oh his sholder...

A very strange way to fight an enemy.
Not when you're three feet shorter than said enemy, it isn't. Yes, the iliu (who is a she, by the way; you can see her breast on one side) is standing on the ktuvok's knee, and kicking him in the head. Having been lifted up there by him, in the first place — you can see where she's jolted his hand off her with the pole-arm.
[url=http://nakedcelt.zoomshare.com/files/index.html]The Naked Celt[/url]
[url=http://gyro.opsa.org.nz/][i]Gyro[/i][/url]

Iscun
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Iscun »

It's extremely difficult to draw a fight, especially an awkward fight like that, without using comic book "action lines" or little explosions where the punches or kicks connect. I think he did a good job. Nice drawing.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Neat! The ktuvok's face is particularly good.

I think you've chosen a difficult pose, perhaps a little too difficult. You might consider not doing the kick-- it looks a little awkward and I cringe at how open she's leaving her abdomen.

Almeological note: iliu toes are not that separate; their feet are more flipper-like, with just a suggestion of the toes visible. And FWIW I drew the ktuvok in http://www.zompist.com/pagan.htm with a tail (though that is intended to be someone's idea of a ktuvok who's never seen one).

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Hey NC: I like the picture, don't have anything particularly to add to other's comments.

I did want to say, though, that I surfed over to Elfwoods and really like some of what you've posted there, particularly the triune goddess -- doesn't the maiden-matron-crone thing come from Norse myth? -- the Green Knight and the Centaur Anatomy piece. (In the notes to the Green Knight drawing you mention thinking you'd gone overboard with the detail -- it's question of taste but I, for one, really favour large amounts of busily-executed detail.) I hope we get to see a lot more of your work.
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Shit... You can't know how sorry I am... I had just woken up and was a bit grumpy. ::Reminds himself not to comment at 7 am::

I have to say, looking at it with actualky open eyes I like it. You may think I'm just saying that because of some guilt or something... Well I am, but I still like it. It's very well done. However, I'll stick to one part of my previous asessment, I don't quite get how the Iliu can be up there... Only a small part of her leg is on the knee...

Oh hell with it, I'll just shut up now... :|
vec

langlover
Niš
Niš

Post by langlover »

Why didn't she just skewer it with that big assed spear head?
[i]"Fulfilling my potential would really cut into my sitting around time."[/i]

GreenBowTie
Lebom
Lebom

Post by GreenBowTie »

Good question.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Anyway, NC, that picture rocks. That's all I have to say. Great stuff.

Cweorth
Niš
Niš

Post by Cweorth »

ils wrote:... particularly the triune goddess -- doesn't the maiden-matron-crone thing come from Norse myth?.
Actually, it goes at least back to Greek myth, where you have the Fates/Moirai--where those three sisters follow that representation, AFAIK--and the same representation at the wedding of Thetis by Athena, Aphrodite, and Hera (yes, the same wedding involving a certain colored fruit that caused a gigantic war).

And if it's in Greek myth there's a good chance it might go back to Semitic and even Sumerian myth.

--Lepidus