Meshaism

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Shm Churmey
Sanci
Sanci

Meshaism

Post by Shm Churmey »

Hey, it looks like I'll be the first to post about it!

I must say I like it - I didn't find it that inattractive; it might be grossly ethnocentric and sort of brutal, but it's not worse than Medieval Europe :p.

The cosmogony was fun and believable at the same time - it looks like the Meshaic mind, far from being the dull expression of a bee-hive, has a strong taste for convoluted stories and baroque cosmogonies.

Just a few questions concerning the three sexes:

- Are male and female {i]ewem[/i]i distinguished in some way? I supposed it won't be admitted openly, but I suppose that, at least, the ewemi themselves can recognize differences among their own kind? I mean, are there different words (slang words, I suppose) to distinguish them?

- And did the third sex disappear at some point? Or is this notion still present in modern Xurnese society,

Nuntar
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Meshaism

Post by Nuntar »

Shm Churmey wrote:Hey, it looks like I'll be the first to post about it!
Um....... not quite!!! :mrgreen:
[quote="Amaya"]Every now and then, the world tries to say something. I'm never quite sure whether or not to listen to it at times like that.[/quote]

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

I've read a little bit more than half of it, however an interesting parallel comes into mind, represented in Cadhinorian. The idea of a first pantheon of nameless, faceless entities ousted and replaced by modern gods.

Of course, there are still more questions to ask... I'll just have to digest the rest later. But now, time to take advantage of school printers...

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: Meshaism

Post by zompist »

Shm Churmey wrote:- Are male and female {i]ewem[/i]i distinguished in some way? I supposed it won't be admitted openly, but I suppose that, at least, the ewemi themselves can recognize differences among their own kind? I mean, are there different words (slang words, I suppose) to distinguish them?
One could usually tell, of course. Though the most fashionable and appearance-conscious ewemi went out of their way to make it difficult-- changing their voices, for instance. (This was a bit easier than cross-dressing is in terrestrial societies-- going for an androgenous ideal, you're only going half the distance.)
And did the third sex disappear at some point? Or is this notion still present in modern Xurnese society,
To learn that you'll have to wait for the next exciting installment of Almean Belief Systems Theater...

Nemo
Niš
Niš

Post by Nemo »

zompist wrote:To learn that you'll have to wait for the next exciting installment of Almean Belief Systems Theater...
Oh, no, I can't wait!

I really loved this, zomp..... I've always loved your work because you have that strange combination, everything seems completely natural and yet it's like nothing I've ever seen before.... especially here with the three sexes and the Hundred Planes......

two complaints, though. was the map meant to cover part of the writing? and you have a goddess called Jeywelis whose element is emerald.... also (this one isn't a complaint) what are the three symbols at the very top of the page? they look really cool :mrgreen:

Brel
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Brel »

I really like the idea of the ewemi, because I believe there really are people who don't match the stereotype of their sex, whether they're heterosexual or not. It gives you more choices about how you would live your life than in our culture. It is interesting how they considered gender such an important issue that society bestowed it on people at puberty...

I could just imagine a Jeff Foxworthy style joke: "You might be an ewemo if..."

:mrgreen:
Io wrote:Seriously, do you take it as an obligation to be the sort of cunt you are?

Blackhand
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Blackhand »

Xurnese hicks...
[quote]<Maknas> Run around the Arizona desert with a gun and claim you're fighting Al-Qaeda, that'll definitely make you known.[/quote]

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Alexandra wrote:I really loved this, zomp..... I've always loved your work because you have that strange combination, everything seems completely natural and yet it's like nothing I've ever seen before.... especially here with the three sexes and the Hundred Planes......
Thanks! That's my favorite combination, plausible and strange. :)
two complaints, though. was the map meant to cover part of the writing? and you have a goddess called Jeywelis whose element is emerald.... also (this one isn't a complaint) what are the three symbols at the very top of the page? they look really cool :mrgreen:
1. Probably your monitor is too small and your browser can't adjust for the big map. I haven't had a chance to see the page on other machines... I'm hoping that the dreaded gamma problem doesn't mean that the graphics are Cajun-blackened for 90% of the world...

2. I'm not sure what you're getting at here; Ax. Jenweliz = 'old one of the forest'; Jeywelis is the normal Xurnash descendant.

3. Three Axunashin glyphs: Mesha-xa-vou, a way of saying 'Meshaism'.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

I take it I shouldn't read that new page.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Space Dracula
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Space Dracula »

Eddy the Great wrote:I take it I shouldn't read that new page.
\

Not without taking a valium first.
<Dudicon> i would but you're too fat to fit in my mouth!!

pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

Eddy the Great wrote:I take it I shouldn't read that new page.
That would probably be best for our immediate sanity.

But if you ever change your mind, I'd recommend it, as it's very interesting. (And now I'm compelled to read more in depth about Almea so the context makes more sense.)

Nuntar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Nuntar »

zompist wrote:2. I'm not sure what you're getting at here; Ax. Jenweliz = 'old one of the forest'; Jeywelis is the normal Xurnash descendant.
This is really just a guess, but I think Alexandra may have been discomforted by the similarity to the word "jewel".
[quote="Amaya"]Every now and then, the world tries to say something. I'm never quite sure whether or not to listen to it at times like that.[/quote]

Iscun
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Iscun »

I really like these new installments. In only a few days the ancient South of Erel?e has been developed heavily. Now that you're on a roll I suppose you'll continue on to the present in this sphere.
To learn that you'll have to wait for the next exciting installment of Almean Belief Systems Theater...
Is it too soon to ask when this will be put up? Are we doomed now to wait for years for another installment or is it not done "pouring" yet? Then, after that? Skouras? Dhekhnam? The Chia-Sha? Arc?l?? :roll: You can't imagine all the questions I have now. May inspiration come to you swiftly!

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

The Historical Atlas (at 1024) mentions an Axunaic practice of marrying noble daughters to each other: were these ewemi marriages?

The atlas also says (in -150) that "The day would come when the Cadhinorians would rejoice to believe that the unmanly Axunashin were no relatives of theirs." Any particular reason for this? Did it have to do with the prevalence of ewemi? Come to think of it, what kind of contact was there between Cadhinas and Axunai?

Excellent work with Meshaism overall; I'm still pouring through it. It's quite interesting.

Oh, by the way: in the section describing chimerae, nanudech should actually be nanudich.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

So Haleza Grise wrote:The Historical Atlas (at 1024) mentions an Axunaic practice of marrying noble daughters to each other: were these ewemi marriages?
It's an earlier version of the idea. I'll probably revise that mention.
The atlas also says (in -150) that "The day would come when the Cadhinorians would rejoice to believe that the unmanly Axunashin were no relatives of theirs." Any particular reason for this? Did it have to do with the prevalence of ewemi? Come to think of it, what kind of contact was there between Cadhinas and Axunai?
Not very much, but enough for both areas to know about each other, especially in the time of heightened continental awareness following the defeat of Munkh?sh.

The Cadhinorians' disdain had several roots: the fact that the Axunemi didn't help out in the war; bad timing (in that Axunai was collapsing when they got to know it); the ewemi; what they perceived as a dedication to luxury and lethargy.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

I still haven't found the time to read throgh these new items on VV, but are these people of some other species than say Verdurians? What's with the third gender? Is it hypthetical, something someone is called or real?
vec

Nuntar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Nuntar »

They're not a different species, unless I've misunderstood; this section should answer your questions and isn't too long to read.

Iscun
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Iscun »

Has it ever been mentioned what religion the Chia-Sha peoples of Luduyn and the Koranax belong to?

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Iscun wrote:Has it ever been mentioned what religion the Chia-Sha peoples of Luduyn and the Koranax belong to?
To the best of my knowledge, no, although the depths of the Historical Atlas might prove me wrong. Their neighbors have been illuminated to varying extents: we've now seen Meshaism, with its Wede:i and Eastern (Ezicimi) roots (although not its sucessor, Endajue), and in the old Virtual Verduria Message Board, Mark once mentioned that Gurdago had an "official" pantheon (developed from the old Skourene polytheism) and a powerful priesthood closely connected to the imperial government; I think he may have also mentioned that the Mgunikpe to the west were animists, comparing their beliefs to those of the Eskimos, although I may be mistaken about that one.

[EDIT: I found the reference, and Mark did indeed call the Mgunikpe animists, although he compared them to some of the native peoples of Siberia (where, indeed, the term "shaman" originated), rather than to the Eskimos.]

The Chia-Sha peoples probably began with the same roots of proto-Eastern polytheism that led to the beliefs of the Cadhinorians and the Ezicimi, but I would expect them to have been influenced by all of the above beliefs as well (although dominance by, e.g., Gurdago might have led to a deliberate rejection of the Gurdagan pantheon).

It's an interesting question...Mark? Do you have any thoughts to offer?

p@,
Glenn

Radius Solis
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Radius Solis »

I really should check out the rest of Almea besides the languages; this thread has been interesting.

Blackhand
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Blackhand »

Radius Solis wrote:I really should check out the rest of Almea besides the languages; this thread has been interesting.
Yes, Radius, you should. Go and do it when you wake up. Read the Historical Atlas first.
[quote]<Maknas> Run around the Arizona desert with a gun and claim you're fighting Al-Qaeda, that'll definitely make you known.[/quote]

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

There's not really more to add yet about the Chia-Sha peoples, sorry...

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

:becomes suicidal:

:realises that's already been tried:

:calms down:

:wails upon nazi living in his head, little bastard, don't you know when to shut up???????????????:
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

Toby Radloff wants to talk to you...

Post by Delthayre »

I suppose I'm late in the compliment game, Zompist, but Meshaism is a fascinating creation.

Asexual nerds as a distinct gender! I love it.
"Great men are almost always bad men."
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

Raphael
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Raphael »

Glenn Kempf wrote:Their neighbors have been illuminated to varying extents: we've now seen Meshaism, with its Wede:i and Eastern (Ezicimi) roots (although not its sucessor, Endajue)
Hey, it's described to some extent in the historical atlas.
did you send enough shit to guarantee victory?