Of U, Y, ? and X-SAMPA

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Of U, Y, ? and X-SAMPA

Post by vec »

I'm wondering, on the Modern Terrestrial Terminology page for Verdurian, you (Mark Rosenfelder) state that Verdurian lacks the Swedish distinction between u and y. I thought Verdurian ? was the same as Swedish y. What exactly are the IPA or X-SAMPA values for the Verdurian vowels. They're not given anywhere.

And something a little less important and interesting, (when) are you planning on unicoding the Verdurian Grammar? :P
vec

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Of U, Y, ? and X-SAMPA

Post by So Haleza Grise »

vegfarandi wrote:I'm wondering, on the Modern Terrestrial Terminology page for Verdurian, you (Mark Rosenfelder) state that Verdurian lacks the Swedish distinction between u and y. I thought Verdurian ? was the same as Swedish y. What exactly are the IPA or X-SAMPA values for the Verdurian vowels. They're not given anywhere.

And something a little less important and interesting, (when) are you planning on unicoding the Verdurian Grammar? :P
If you check the examples on the Verdurian phonology page, you'll see that Verdurian ? is /y/. The other vowels mainly have their cardinal values (with some variation on openness); with <?> representing /I/, and <?> mostly equivalent to /W/. I'm not sure, but I thought Swedish <y> was /i"/ or /u"/.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

I don't think so. But it might be... But I'm pretty sure it's just plain /y/.
vec

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

vegfarandi wrote:I don't think so. But it might be... But I'm pretty sure it's just plain /y/.
It is.
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH
Miekko wrote:protip: no one wants to learn your conlangs. if they claim different, it's just to be friendly. this is true for all conlangers.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Yay. Which brings me to my original question: Why isn't the Verdurian ? used for Swedish y?
vec

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

vegfarandi wrote:Yay. Which brings me to my original question: Why isn't the Verdurian ? used for Swedish y?
What words are you refering to? I just had a quick look, an I only found s?cel, from swedish cykel (not sykel as it stands), which follows the pattern you say isn't there...
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH
Miekko wrote:protip: no one wants to learn your conlangs. if they claim different, it's just to be friendly. this is true for all conlangers.

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

Now I also saw R?slan, from swedish Ryssland...
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Woops. Well, I just read the lines above, I didn't check the wordlists in detail. However, at the top of the page, Zompist says, that Verdurian doesn't have the u/y distinction of Swedish which seems to be complete falsehood.
vec

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

I've been thinking about that list as well, beacuse some of the swedish loan-words doesn't really follow the swedish general pronounciation, for example c?mera, sw. kamera /kA:mera/, would be more like c?mera (if i know the verdurian orthography right).
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH

pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

Eh, Swedish <u> isn't /u/. It's some godforsaken central vowel(s), maybe with lip rounding or spreading or something stranger (or is that /y/?). <o> is used for /u/ and /U/. (the exact values may be wrong; I've tried to avoid Swedish vowels, for sanity's sake).

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Swedish u is /}/ I think. That's not far from /u/.

EDITED WRONG X-SAMPA.
Last edited by vec on Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vec

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

Swedish <u> is /}:/ and /8/.
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

Is it just me or is my previous post very underlined?
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH

pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

skrivihop wrote:Is it just me or is my previous post very underlined?
It's because you were talking about <u>, which happens to be the HTML tag for underline. When posting, check "Disable HTML in this post" if you're going to write things that overlap with HTML codes (similarly, disable BBCode if you want , , etc.).

(ok, I cheated here; I didn't disable BBCode, because I wanted to keep the quote. I'm using the sheer force of my will to keep the board from interpreting those codes.)

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: Of U, Y, ? and X-SAMPA

Post by zompist »

vegfarandi wrote:I'm wondering, on the Modern Terrestrial Terminology page for Verdurian, you (Mark Rosenfelder) state that Verdurian lacks the Swedish distinction between u and y. I thought Verdurian ? was the same as Swedish y. What exactly are the IPA or X-SAMPA values for the Verdurian vowels. They're not given anywhere.
Verdurian i = /i/, ? = /y/. It's Swedish u that's the oddball-- centralized rounded u, so far as I can grasp from my sources.
Dunno. I've got a number of projects underway right now, but that's a good one for times I feel uncreative. :)

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

skrivihop wrote:I've been thinking about that list as well, beacuse some of the swedish loan-words doesn't really follow the swedish general pronounciation, for example c?mera, sw. kamera /kA:mera/, would be more like c?mera (if i know the verdurian orthography right).
Verdurians looking at Swedish would probably be uncertain about long/short a-- if I understand it rightly, the short vowels are laxed, and so distinguished more by quality than by length. So they'd probably give up on length and just transcribe both long and short vowels the same.

Are there other words that don't look right?

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

There is some that should have an /A/ instead of an /a/, plus some that have the stress on the wrong syllable, if I understood your question right.
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH