Verdurian has been converted

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Verdurian has been converted

Post by vec »

Wow, that looks great. I'm still gonna bug you about two things; I see you've changed a bit about the phonology section but you still write that n becomes [N] before k and g, lacks "before c" and "platir, druk, gliny, kricha " contains an italiced error. But I can't see any other thing wrong so I just congratulate you! :D
vec

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Wow! That happened a lot faster than I expected...

In looking over the converted Verdurian grammar, my immediate reaction is a visual one: from my previous readings of the grammar, I have become so deeply accustomed to the digraphs you used previously in place of the preferred diacritics (i.e., Adhivro for Ad'ivro, Dashcor Churmey for Da?cor Čurmey, etc.), that seeing the text with the actual diacritics in place will take me quite some time to get used to, I fear. :?

Still, my congratulations; good luck on converting the remainder of the site, if such is your wish! :wink:

p@,
Glenn

Xeon
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Xeon »

Excellent! One small thing that I noticed is that in the Verdurian-English Dictionary, the index at the top of the page needs to be updated; Ch, Dh, Rh, Sh, and Zh still appear in the index, rather than the unicode characters.

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

What the hell are you talking about?

pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

guitarplayer wrote:What the hell are you talking about?
Don't you keep the zompist.com change log open all the time and refresh every 2 minutes??????

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

pharazon wrote:
Don't you keep the zompist.com change log open all the time and refresh every 2 minutes??????
No; I don't, actually. :wink:

Carsten: Mark recently converted the Web pages of his Verdurian grammar to Unicode, thus enabling him to use the Unicode characters he prefers for transcribing Verdurian into the Latin alphabet (with diacritics, etc., not available in the previous font); he's been gradually converting the various pages of Virtual Verduria in this fashion.
Xeon wrote:Excellent! One small thing that I noticed is that in the Verdurian-English Dictionary, the index at the top of the page needs to be updated; Ch, Dh, Rh, Sh, and Zh still appear in the index, rather than the unicode characters.
Incidentally, the same is true for the table of contents in the article on Cad'inorian paganism; it still retains the previous spellings for "Adhivro" and "Churmey". Just adding to the nitpicking... :roll:

p@,
Glenn

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

Glenn Kempf wrote:
pharazon wrote:
No; I don't, actually. :wink:
/me seconds that :P Maybe Zomp should set up an RSS thingy so that you addicts immediately know that there's been a change? ;)
Glenn Kempf wrote:Carsten: Mark recently converted the Web pages of his Verdurian grammar to Unicode, thus enabling him to use the Unicode characters he prefers for transcribing Verdurian into the Latin alphabet (with diacritics, etc., not available in the previous font); he's been gradually converting the various pages of Virtual Verduria in this fashion.
Oh! OK.

Herra Ratatoskr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

*Realizes he failed to notice this thread and decides to wish Zomp a belated congratulations.

Yah!!!
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!

There are 10 types of people in this world:
-Those who understand binary
-Those who don't

Mater tua circeta ibat et pater tuus sambucorum olficiebat!

vlaran of verduria
Sanci
Sanci

Post by vlaran of verduria »

Kl, I never noticed the log until now.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Thanks for the nitpicks. Now that I finally have Internet at home again, I can fix them.

jonr
Niš
Niš

Post by jonr »

Will Tshur and Shalea change?

Jon

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

jonr wrote:Will Tshur and Shalea change?
Heh. I don't know if phpBB even allows Unicode in rank headings. Feel free to use it when referring to the ranks. :)

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

zompist wrote:
jonr wrote:Will Tshur and Shalea change?
Heh. I don't know if phpBB even allows Unicode in rank headings. Feel free to use it when referring to the ranks. :)
Always have. :)
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

tatapyranga
Lebom
Lebom

Post by tatapyranga »

I would also like they written as T?ur and ?alea.
There is only one god and his name is Death. And there's only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today'.

butsuri
Lebom
Lebom

Post by butsuri »

guitarplayer wrote:Maybe Zomp should set up an RSS thingy so that you addicts immediately know that there's been a change? ;)
You know, I for one would really rather like that.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

butsuri wrote:
guitarplayer wrote:Maybe Zomp should set up an RSS thingy so that you addicts immediately know that there's been a change? ;)
You know, I for one would really rather like that.
At one point Philip Newton did one like that, but it never worked.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

vlad
Sanci
Sanci

Post by vlad »

Verdurian Phonology wrote:A following y or ? palatalizes a preceding n or l to [?] and [λ], as in Italian bagno, baglio.
All the other transcriptions use IPA, but it isn't used here. Shouldn't they be [ɲ] and [ʎ]?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

vlad wrote:
Verdurian Phonology wrote:A following y or ? palatalizes a preceding n or l to [?] and [λ], as in Italian bagno, baglio.
All the other transcriptions use IPA, but it isn't used here. Shouldn't they be [ɲ] and [ʎ]?
On my system, at least, your question answers itself: should they be unknown box characters? No.

For some reason, both Apple and Microsoft think that Americans need full Chinese support, traditional and simplified, but no IPA. When they change their minds, I can start using IPA on my pages.

Circeus
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Circeus »

Most of the time, it's a question of fonts. Wikipedia solved that by usinf a special list of fonts around IPA encoding.

You'll want to look over here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template_talk:IPA
Golden age set the moral standard, the Silver Age revised it, the Bronze Age broke free of it and the Rust Age ran wild with it. -- A. David Lewis

We're all under strict orders not to bite the newbies. -- Amaya

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Circ?us wrote:Most of the time, it's a question of fonts. Wikipedia solved that by usinf a special list of fonts around IPA encoding.

You'll want to look over here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template_talk:IPA
They solve the problem by, in effect, asking users to have certain fonts installed; I don't like that approach. My goal is to have my pages look OK on most anybody's computer. It's no solution to require particular browsers, machines, or fonts.