Any other Almea out there?

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Jaaaaaa
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Any other Almea out there?

Post by Jaaaaaa »

Cevlakohn wrote:
ShadA501 wrote:Does anyone know if there are any more constructed worlds out there on the web that are of the scale of Almea? I've looked and not been able to find one quite like it. I found a world called Khoras, which has a lot of detail, but very little language stuff, and I don't really like the organization too much. Anyone else found anything?
Yes.
Amen.

Also my situation is the same as Ran's is (was?); won't be on the web for a while (if ever), tho; and anyway it'll never be on par with Arda/Almea. ALl I have so far is at www.livejournal.com/users/jakobaz

PMVA
Niš
Niš

Post by PMVA »

ShadA501 wrote:Does anyone know if there are any more constructed worlds out there on the web that are of the scale of Almea? I've looked and not been able to find one quite like it. I found a world called Khoras, which has a lot of detail, but very little language stuff, and I don't really like the organization too much. Anyone else found anything?
There is one: Thyrenacia -- http://www.thyrenacia.com/thyrenacia/index.html

Alas, languages of the world are neglected.

Ran
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ran »

PMVA wrote:
There is one: Thyrenacia -- http://www.thyrenacia.com/thyrenacia/index.html

Ohmygod. Who made this?

edit:
actually a better question seems to be. How was this stuff made?!
Winter is coming

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Ran wrote:
PMVA wrote:There is one: Thyrenacia -- http://www.thyrenacia.com/thyrenacia/index.html

Ohmygod. Who made this?

edit:
actually a better question seems to be. How was this stuff made?!
Depending on what you're asking--the creator, John Whatnough, provides a list of some of the programs and sources he used in creating the site on his "Links" page. (I note that among others, he also provides a link to Virtual Verduria and the LCK as well. :wink: )
I agree that the maps and visual art are impressive.

Thyrenacia is obviously the result of a lot of work--although the various Earthly borrowings are a bit blatant, IMHO. (In his description of the different ethnic groups, he talks of them as being "descended" from Earthly peoples, which might imply a futuristic/displaced origin.) In its current form, it's also quite clearly intended as the setting for a single grand epic, as opposed to a broader and more general setting, like Almea. (Which isn't to say that I won't buy The Accounts of Thyrenacia when it comes out in paperback. :) )

[I also agree that the languages are generally quite neglected; on the other hand, I don't necessarily think that conlangery needs to be at the center of every conworld, even if I notice its presence (or absence) much more now... Forgive me for such heretical thoughts. :wink: ]

p@,
Glenn
Last edited by Glenn on Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackhand
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Blackhand »

/me burns Glenn at the steak for his treachery

Unfortunately, the steak caught fire, then the dogs grabbed it and went running, and he was spared.
[quote]<Maknas> Run around the Arizona desert with a gun and claim you're fighting Al-Qaeda, that'll definitely make you known.[/quote]

Nemo
Niš
Niš

Post by Nemo »

The languages may be neglected, but the scripts are not..... very beautiful.