Geographical names in Erel?e 3

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Oerjan
Sanci
Sanci

Geographical names in Erel?e 3

Post by Oerjan »

One more geography question:

What is the name of the major river in central Ceiy - the one flowing into the sea at Tet?s?

It is named on the Terrain map in the Historical Atlas, but the name is so blurred that I can't quite make it out - I think it is Shauki or something like that, but I'm not sure.

Help?

/Oerjan

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: Geographical names in Erel?e 3

Post by zompist »

Oerjan wrote:What is the name of the major river in central Ceiy - the one flowing into the sea at Tet?s?

It is named on the Terrain map in the Historical Atlas, but the name is so blurred that I can't quite make it out - I think it is Shauki or something like that, but I'm not sure.
Shauki is correct (with S-hacek).

Color It is not that great with text rotation... I wish I'd had Photoshop when I did the atlas.

Oerjan
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Geographical names in Erel?e 3

Post by Oerjan »

zompist wrote:
Oerjan wrote:Shauki is correct (with S-hacek).
Thanks :) (Yes, I transcribed S-hacek as "Sh" in analogy with Cia-Sha etc. since I can't easily do haceks on the computer and was in a hurry :? )
Color It is not that great with text rotation... I wish I'd had Photoshop when I did the atlas.
Me too ;)

Later,

Oerjan

Oerjan
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Oerjan »

Hopefully the last Almean geography question for a while:

The "Is Ludro Khumnag?" thread discusses the names of the major western tributaries to the Shk?noro, but it also has a major eastern tributary running from the northern tip of the Dag?sh range to meet up with the Shk?noro a bit downstream of the confluence of the Shk?noro and the Gdumok.

What is the name of this eastern tributary river?

Later,

Oerjan

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

It didn't have one, but now it does: Dhekhnami Lherp, Verdurian L?bo.

Oerjan
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Oerjan »

Thanks! :)

...speaking of languages: is "Gdumok" Verdurian/Sarroc or Dhekhnami?

Later,

Oerjan

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Dhekhnami.

Oerjan
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Oerjan »

Thanks again :)

/Oerjan

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

zompist wrote:Dhekhnami.
Speaking of which, I have five questions about Dhekhnami:

1) Is Dhekhnami the native form of the name?
2) How is it pronounced? Do the dh and kh represent aspirated stops or do they represent fricatives?
3) Is Dhekhnami a descendent of the language of Munkh?sh?
4) What's the etymology of the word?

and finally,

5) Is a Dhekhnami grammar anywhere on your list of things to do? (please say yes!)
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Dewrad wrote:1) Is Dhekhnami the native form of the name?
2) How is it pronounced? Do the dh and kh represent aspirated stops or do they represent fricatives?
3) Is Dhekhnami a descendent of the language of Munkh?sh?
4) What's the etymology of the word?
1. No; but Dhekhnam is a native word. The -i is an instance of what we might call Fantasy Language Adjectivization, which is ultimately based on Arabic -i:. There isn't yet a native adjectivization to use.
2. Provisionally, fricatives ([D] and [x] respectively).
3. Yes. Both are really native to Demoshimor, the central (human) core of both realms.
4. I seem to recall it was going to mean 'land of the pure', but this is extremely subject to change.
5) Is a Dhekhnami grammar anywhere on your list of things to do? (please say yes!)
Yeah. My conception of the language has changed, however, so existing words may have to be changed when I get to it. It was originally, I'm afraid, kind of a Standard Fantasy Ugly-Sounding Language. But a) if I continue to use the implied phonology for the words I have, I'd essentially end up with Elkaril; and b) I'd rather explore the idea of making the bad guys speak a rather nice, mellifluous language.

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

zompist wrote:b) I'd rather explore the idea of making the bad guys speak a rather nice, mellifluous language.
shelisa'e (v) eat babies.
lurilama (n) derogatory/insulting term for humans.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.