How much do you know?

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Pathfinder
Niš
Niš

How much do you know?

Post by Pathfinder »

How many of Zompist's languages do you know and to what extent? Rate your knowledge of each language with a rating of 1 through 10.

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Hmm...well, I've read all the grammars posted on Virtual Verduria, but the only languages I've used myself are Verdurian (for writing a couple of posts and reading a few texts), and Elkaril (for participating in translation exercises). In both cases, I chiefly learned the vocabulary I needed for the task at the time, so my overall "mastery" is on the low end of the scale, I fear.

Many people here on the ZBB are involved with their own conlangs or those of other board members, and haven't delved into Mark's conlangs as of yet; on the other hand, there are a number of current and former members (Ihano, pne, Neek; I would also add Shm Jay and So Haleza Grise) who have done so quite a bit, and some of them have posted sentences or passages in several Almean languages.

p@,
Glenn

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

Is there a zero? Because I don't even know the names of most of the languages, let alone how to speak them.

Not that I don't admire Zomp's work or anything, but a) I don't have any reason to learn it and b) I'm useless at learning stuff anyway.

valinta
Sanci
Sanci

Post by valinta »

I haven't been able to focus on any conlangs for a long time, because the time I have for languages has mostly been devoted to learning natural ones. However, I used the 425 free pages of paper I get at school per year to print off the entire Verdurian grammar, and the Wede:i page. Yes, all of it. I have a passing familiarity with the names, history, and general attributes of many of them, but no, I haven't gotten to learning them yet. Mostly just reading about at the moment.

chris_notts
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by chris_notts »

valinta wrote:I haven't been able to focus on any conlangs for a long time, because the time I have for languages has mostly been devoted to learning natural ones. However, I used the 425 free pages of paper I get at school per year to print off the entire Verdurian grammar, and the Wede:i page. Yes, all of it. I have a passing familiarity with the names, history, and general attributes of many of them, but no, I haven't gotten to learning them yet. Mostly just reading about at the moment.
A friend of mine used the college printers to print off almost the entire run of BOFH stories before anyone caught him. Back then, printing used to be free, and he had hundreds of pages of the stuff printed off...
Try the online version of the HaSC sound change applier: http://chrisdb.dyndns-at-home.com/HaSC

Legros
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Legros »

I translated a Buddhist prayer, the Three Jewels, in Verdurian several years ago, and I studied a little Barakhinei.

I presently use Mark's picture of a Verdurian street as a wallpaper on my desktop computer in my workplace.

I always had a liking for the picture.

To be fair, I also used Salmoneus' again35 picture for a while. When I saw it for the first time, I thought that's what must be in the minds of Sauron and the cyborg rulers of my conworlds: energy and control.

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

I've just got up to lesson four in the Verdurian Practical Course, so I can say things like "So malsfaom crezhe soa chura er cuon lie uve so dher".

Cro Magnon
Niš
Niš

Post by Cro Magnon »

Mornche Geddick wrote:I've just got up to lesson four in the Verdurian Practical Course, so I can say things like "So malsfaom crezhe soa chura er cuon lie uve so dher".
I can't say that, or even read it. But the fact that I recognized a few words of that scares me.