Solar System

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Piero
Sanci
Sanci

Solar System

Post by Piero »

http://www.zompist.com/drill0.htm

Today I've noticed that those planets' orbits are circular and not elliptical, like ours.

So haven't those planets got apogee and perigee?
Is their axis inclined, like the Earth's one is (67?)?
If you think that pride is about nationality, you're wrong

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Actually, I would guess that in "real life," they are elliptical, in accordance to the usual laws of physics.

In the first place, while the orbits of the planets in our solar system are elliptical, nearly all of them (with the exception of Pluto) are quite close to circular. The difference between Earth's perihelion and aphelion is only 3%; in a small drawing, its orbit would look close to circular as well.

In the second place, I would expect that Mark's diagram is somewhat stylized and simplified, as popular-science depictions often are--it's certainly identical to many drawings of our own Solar System that I've seen in books, textbooks, and magazines.

According to Wikipedia, Earth has an axial tilt of 23.4?; Almea has Earth-like seasons, so its tilt is probably similar. As for the other planets, it's hard to tell, since we have no detailed information (and the Verdurians certainly don't :wink: ).

p@,
Glenn

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

I think that they look elliptical.... :roll:
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH
Miekko wrote:protip: no one wants to learn your conlangs. if they claim different, it's just to be friendly. this is true for all conlangers.

pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

skrivihop wrote:I think that they look elliptical.... :roll:
I suppose it depends on whether you see the picture as looking straight down on the ecliptic or not (the approximate plane in which all the planets' orbits lie).

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

It's a diagram. The planets don't actually have colored streamers marking their orbits, either...

chris_notts
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by chris_notts »

zompist wrote: The planets don't actually have colored streamers marking their orbits, either...
I'm completely disillusioned...
Try the online version of the HaSC sound change applier: http://chrisdb.dyndns-at-home.com/HaSC

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I want to know who the 70s rock stars were that the planets were named after.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

I want to know who the 70s rock stars were that the planets were named after.
I was wondering the same thing.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."