Your Favorite Almea Language

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Herra Ratatoskr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Your Favorite Almea Language

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

The title, I think, is pretty self explanitory, what's your favorite Almean language, and what about it is so cool to you?

For me at least, I truley admire the completeness and complexity of Verdurian, and have great respect for the conlang megalith that it is, I must say that I love its foppish cousin, Isma?n. I love the phonology, especially the retroflexes, the syllabic consonants, and just how it sound when I pronounce it (ok, when I think of how it sounds, my tongue always seems to slaughter the pronunciation). I also love the morphology, especially the nominal morphology, and in that, especially the use of the ablative for genitive-ish constructions. For some reason that just makes my inner conlanger happy inside. I'm even trying to learn it now, piecing together a tutorial for myself to use.

But what about you all? Come join me in my attempt to stroke Zomp's ego and sing the praises of his languages. Tell us what you like and why.
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!

There are 10 types of people in this world:
-Those who understand binary
-Those who don't

Mater tua circeta ibat et pater tuus sambucorum olficiebat!

Waldkater
Niš
Niš

Post by Waldkater »

I like Cu?zi most - it looks most distinct and it has got the coolest features: Pitch accent, a rather minimal phonology and an expressive verbal system
I would love to listen to a longer sample

To be honest, the other languages (especially Cadhinor and her daughters) *look* a bit too similar, and Verdurian appears to me too Slavonic-like - I adore the slavic languages, especially Russian, for there richness and their literature - but I don't like them that much (as Greek or the Indish languages)
Sé da o• dáire an gudd’ a• ráilla. Hal’ tso tsoissan i• théinn’ an chursad ton.

(Fate is like a gorilla in a cage – it throws dung at you if you mock it)

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

I only recently looked into Axhunasin, and was impressed, but there's a lot of stuff in Zomp's languages in general that is worthy of mentioning.

But currently, Axhunasin would be my favourite.

Perhaps because syntax is my pimp.
< Cev> My people we use cars. I come from a very proud car culture-- every part of the car is used, nothing goes to waste. When my people first saw the car, generations ago, we called it šuŋka wakaŋ-- meaning "automated mobile".

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Frankly, I'll wait for Old Skourene to show up (despite my jinx) before I declare a favorite, but Cuolese and Jeori are cool.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Twpsyn Pentref
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Twpsyn Pentref »

I don't really have a favourite; as someone or other with an aptitude for corny figures of speech said, 'Who can choose the brightest among stars?'

All of zompist's work is masterful, and I find all of it equally an inspiration. I must say, however, that Axuna?in stands out especially to me.
Last edited by Twpsyn Pentref on Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
So take this body at sunset to the great stream whose pulses start in the blue hills, and let these ashes drift from the Long Bridge where only a late gull breaks that deep and populous grave.

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

If I'm allowed to pick one whose grammar isn't up yet, I'd say Xurnese. Don't know exactly why.

I do like Wede:i, though, for the principle reason that its agglutinating grammar just seems to make sense. The very first conlang I ever wrote, before I had any knowledge of linguistics, was also largely agglutinating.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I have a soft spot for Cadhinor.

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

Indeed, I am most in love with Verdurian but touched most by all the others. Hands down, though, Elkar?l is Mark's best work yet.

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

Nobody's put in a word for Flaidish yet. So I will.

tombom
Niš
Niš

Post by tombom »

I like them all, but there's something I really like about Elkar?l. It has some novel, or at least uncommon, ideas, such as that repition of affixes and the different forms of colour made in a regular way with changes in the place vowels are said. I also like the feel - a bit Dwarvish, but not Dwarvish.

vlaran of verduria
Sanci
Sanci

Post by vlaran of verduria »

I find Kebreni the mosf aesthetically pleasing, and morphologically interesting.

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

In terms of uniqueness and interesting features, Elkaril hands down. I especially like the assignment anaphora system.

In terms of how the language actually sounds, Cuezi is tied with Cadhinor. Apart from those I don't care much for the Cadhinorian branch of the Eastern family- the language are too Indo-European. I realize that's by design, but it's still a little offputting.
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

I would have to say Elkaril, as most of the others were too European.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Eddy the Great wrote:I would have to say Elkaril, as most of the others were too European.
several people have mentioned this, so it would be good to point out that the european-oid languages are simply the ones that have been completed so far. Lenani, Mgunikpe, and Mei languages have yet to be done!
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

tombom
Niš
Niš

Post by tombom »

I'd just like to say that I don't like Elkar?l just becuase it's not very Indo-European - there's just something that clicks about it that makes me want to learn it. I also feel that way about Flaidish, although I haven't looked at that much. I think it may actually be the effect of the background colour :P .

EDIT: I've just realised how much I like elkaril culture too.
Last edited by tombom on Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Your Favorite Almea Language

Post by - »

Verdurian is still the most impressive for me as an overall exercise in well-developed and lovingly detailed conlanging. It's also an excellent demonstration of just how much a good conlang can enrich a fictional culture, and vice versa; of all the Almean languages, it conveys the most vivid sense of having emerged organically from a living culture.

I'm also more than passing fond of Flaidish, Kebreni and Axunashin, which are all -- not coincidentally, I should think -- used by Almean cultures that intrigue me.
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

Zack Bishop
Niš
Niš

Post by Zack Bishop »

I'm very impressed with the Almean languages I've seen so far -- they all have the feeling of being organically grown out of culture and circumstance according to a believable process, whereas many conlangs I've seen seem to exist in a vacuum. My favorite, though, is Kebreni. I remember looking at a grammatical sketch of Hawaiian while working on my own stuff, and on seeing the benefactive in it I wound up thinking "wow, Kebreni does so much more with this nifty feature..."

Also, I stole the idea of group nouns for Capovar, which already didn't inflect nouns for number. The idea of a group noun construction was just too cool to pass up.

Oric
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Oric »

tombom wrote:I'd just like to say that I don't like Elkar?l just becuase it's not very Indo-European - there's just something that clicks
For a second, I was thinking, "Elkar?l has clicks???" Please excuse me, I haven't slept inawhile.

Piero
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Piero »

I love Verdurian for its comlpexity and its sound, it seems very cool to me! 8)
In my list, after it, I put Barakhinei that I like for its irregularities, I will be never tired of reading and re-reading them :D
If you think that pride is about nationality, you're wrong

Sibkevsad
Niš
Niš

Post by Sibkevsad »

I like Cadhinor, its kinda like latin
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.54

[url]http://blog.metal-hammer.de/die-grten-death-metal-songs-aller-zeiten/[/url] Vote for Hammer Smashed Face!

Matt
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Matt »

Old Skourene for me.
Kuku-kuku kaki kakak kakekku kaku kaku.
'the toenails of my grandfather's elder brother are stiff'

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom
Location: Somewhere far beyond your reality (Exeter, England)

Post by Warmaster »

Kebreni or Elkaril, not overly sure which though.
Don't worry Girls, Explosions fix everything!

He who is also known as Ben

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

Awfully hard to decide, but I really really like Flaidish.

Ismain would be my #2.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Kebreni. Gotta be Kebreni. H'em pansiri kebren nizgu!
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

ghur
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ghur »

Probably Elkaril