Post your conlang's phonology

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
GrinningManiac
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Post your conlang's phonology

Post by GrinningManiac »

/m n ŋ/ m n ng/nn
/p t k b d g/ p t c b d g
/s ʂ ts tʃ/ s sc ts tsc
/x j ç ʝ/ ach, agh, ich, igh.
/v f/ v f/ff
/l r/ l r
/a ɛ i ɔ u ɨ/ a e i o u y
If P=plosive and F=fricative then PP=FP Capt > Caft
If D=voiced and T=unvoiced then DT=TT Traidhs > Traiths
Except in the case of S when TD = TT Crasb > Crasp
If ê or ô are the stressed vowel then = îa/ûa Tapêl > Tapîal
If a nasal follows a voiceless stop they swap Tatnar > Tantar
CVCVC if V2 is high then V1 i-ablauts Trodig > Traidig
L is velarized in B_V and B_# not B_C Trol > Troll
If P=Plosive and F=Fricative then FF=FP Bisth > Bist
Except in the case of S Biths > Biths

Kvan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Kvan »

I'm working on some of the surrounding languages spoken in the vicinity of Tletlwan (my major project). The language spoken by the dominant power of the Northwestern corner of the continent is called Yiwu.

Yiwu
Consonantal Inventory:
Nasals: /m n/ <m n>
Plosives: /b t d k kʷ g/ <b t d k k̨ g>
Fricatives: /s ç çʷ x xʷ/ <s c c̨ x x̨>
Laterals: /t͡ɬ/ <l>
Approximants: /j ɥ ɰ w~ɰʷ/ <y y̨ w w̨>

Vowel Inventory:
/i e æ u o ɑ/ <i e ä u o a>

Some Notes:
  • Lack of /p/ is an areal feature of the Northwestern areas of the continent. The lack of /p/ also extends well into the archipelago protruding West Northwest of the extremes of the continent.
  • Dorsal consonants exhibit phonemic distinctions in labialization.
  • All phonemes can occur in onset or coda.
  • The maximum syllable structure is (C)V:(C) or (C)V1V2(C). I'm not yet sure which diphthongs will be allowed however I'm inclined to think they will be mostly closing diphthongs. I may yet allow for triphthongs where a diphthong is allowed an on or offglide.
  • I'm debating on the incorporation of breathy voice in some registers (specifically story telling registers and perhaps religious ceremonial speech)
And for a language of a small sect of people living on the northern most reaches of the archipelago where Tletlwan is spoken there is another language isolate whose basic inventory I just fleshed out

Siknin
Consonantal Inventory:
Nasals: /m* n/ <m n>
Plosives: /t tʰ k kʰ q qʰ ʔ/ <d t g k ğ q ʔ>
Ejectives: /t' k' q' t͡s'/ <t' k' q' c'>
Affricates: /t͡s t͡sʰ/ <j c>
Fricatives: /s h/ <s h>
Laterals: /t͡ɬ t͡ɬʰ/ <l ł>
Lateral Ejectives: /t͡ɬ'/ <l'>
Taps: /ɾ/ <r>

Vowel Inventory:
/i e a o u/ <i e a o u>

I'm on the fence about orthgraphizing /t͡s/ as <j> but it keeps in lock step with the rest of the language's orthography. Beyond the orthography this one has a rather mundane vowel system, the only real oddity for the consonantal system I'd say is the phonemic lack of labials with the exception of /m/ is cropping up in loan words from Tletlwan. The only other thing of note at the moment is the occurrence of creaky vowels however this distinction only happens after an ejective consonant.
Last edited by Kvan on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.69

To:
Economic Left/Right: -6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.33

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

you could use <z> but <j> is fine too. hell, some transcription systems use <j> for /dz/. if i were you i'd be more worried about the questionable use of ogoneks and g-breve -- i don't know of a single orthography where g-breve is a stop. just about any other diacritic on g would work, although i'd tend toward a dot. (i use a cedilla, but i like cedillas.)
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Kvan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Kvan »

Nortaneous wrote:you could use <z> but <j> is fine too. hell, some transcription systems use <j> for /dz/. if i were you i'd be more worried about the questionable use of ogoneks and g-breve -- i don't know of a single orthography where g-breve is a stop. just about any other diacritic on g would work, although i'd tend toward a dot. (i use a cedilla, but i like cedillas.)
I was debating about using the g with overdot... perhaps I'll use that one. As far as ogoneks to indicate rounding, I prefer them to cedillas but either would work really. I ripped off your system of grave, acute and circumflex diacritics in Tletlwan (it was a useful tool to indicate rounding without a lot of hideous digraphs) but I wanted to avoid that schema here but I may as well just use that for this one as well.

To:

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Nortaneous wrote:you could use <z> but <j> is fine too. hell, some transcription systems use <j> for /dz/.
Yale Romanization for Cantonese uses <j> for /ts/, and it's apparently a pretty common transcription system.

Jerian
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jerian »

Here's the phonology for a conlang I started a couple of days ago. It's the only phonology I created even worth sharing.

/t/, /d/

/s/, /z/, /θ/, /f/, /ʒ/, /v/, /ð/, /ʃ/ /ɕ/, /ʑ/

/j/, /ʋ/

/t͡s/, /t͡l/, /p͡s/, /zð/, /sp/

/n/, /l/, /ɬ/, /r/
- I had velar, bilabial and labiodental nasals, but I removed them; they didn't sound nice in any of the words I put them into.

and here's my long assed list of vowels, which I will likely amputate:
/i/, /y/, /ɪ/, /u/, /ʉ/, /e/, /o/, /ɔ/, /ɛ/, /æ/, /a/, /ɒ/, /ə/, /iː/, /ɪː/, /əɪ/, /eɪ/, /æu/, /ɪ̈/
"Man is least himself when he speaks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will reveal his true face" --Oscar Wilde

Kvan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Kvan »

Jerian wrote:I had velar, bilabial and labiodental nasals, but I removed them; they didn't sound nice in any of the words I put them into.
Generally according to WALS Chapter 5: Voicing and Gaps in Plosive Systems http://wals.info/chapter/5 /p/ and /g/ are the most likely to disappear (perhaps together) but no /b/ (which is attested in some languages of the Pacific Northwest (i.e. Tlingit and Eyak)) is much rarer. And AFAIK there is no language which lacks all velar and bilabial plosives.

It seems a wee bit unnatural but if you're not going for naturalism then rock out.
Jerian wrote:Here's the phonology for a conlang I started a couple of days ago. It's the only phonology I created even worth sharing.

/t/, /d/

/j/, /ʋ/

/n/, /l/, /ɬ/, /r/
"Heterorganic" affricates I'd say don't really exist, they are just clusters. It's cool if your phonology allows for /zð/ but in and of itself it is not a phoneme (neither is p͡s or it's counter part sp)

The sheer number of fricatives is staggering especially when viewed in contrast with a miniscule two phonemes for plosives. Again, if you're not worried about any degree of naturalism, go for it however I find these distinctions to be odd. Considering there is no bilabial nasal or stop it is rather off to have two labiodental fricatives.

I do like the idea of your use of subtraction in some areas but you may have over done it with the plosives and underdone it with the fricatives and the vowels. There are few vowel systems that large. And I find it even more odd that with that number of monophthongs you don't have more diphthongs and triphthongs.

Perhaps play around with making words and see how sounds crop up or delete themselves. I think you'll find some labial and velar stops will arise and some or many of the vowels will simplify.

To:

Jerian
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jerian »

Kvan wrote:
Jerian wrote:I had velar, bilabial and labiodental nasals, but I removed them; they didn't sound nice in any of the words I put them into.
Generally according to WALS Chapter 5: Voicing and Gaps in Plosive Systems http://wals.info/chapter/5 /p/ and /g/ are the most likely to disappear (perhaps together) but no /b/ (which is attested in some languages of the Pacific Northwest (i.e. Tlingit and Eyak)) is much rarer. And AFAIK there is no language which lacks all velar and bilabial plosives.

It seems a wee bit unnatural but if you're not going for naturalism then rock out.
Jerian wrote:Here's the phonology for a conlang I started a couple of days ago. It's the only phonology I created even worth sharing.

/t/, /d/

/j/, /ʋ/

/n/, /l/, /ɬ/, /r/
"Heterorganic" affricates I'd say don't really exist, they are just clusters. It's cool if your phonology allows for /zð/ but in and of itself it is not a phoneme (neither is p͡s or it's counter part sp)

The sheer number of fricatives is staggering especially when viewed in contrast with a miniscule two phonemes for plosives. Again, if you're not worried about any degree of naturalism, go for it however I find these distinctions to be odd. Considering there is no bilabial nasal or stop it is rather off to have two labiodental fricatives.

I do like the idea of your use of subtraction in some areas but you may have over done it with the plosives and underdone it with the fricatives and the vowels. There are few vowel systems that large. And I find it even more odd that with that number of monophthongs you don't have more diphthongs and triphthongs.

Perhaps play around with making words and see how sounds crop up or delete themselves. I think you'll find some labial and velar stops will arise and some or many of the vowels will simplify.

I was definitely going for a very smooth feel for this language. My drastic overruse of plosives in all three of my previous conlangs bothered me immensely, though I let it slide, considering it went nicely with the cultures of those places.

However personally, I don't like plosives. I'm playing with this conlang almost entirely for amusement, if I decide to implement it into either of my conworlds, then I'll make significant changes to make it fit better into the various language families.

Also, regarding the overruse of fricatives: /ɕ/, /ʑ/, /f/, /ʒ/, /v/, /ð/ are very uncommon so far, so they don't really through the balance off too much.

Either way, meh, I like how it sounds.
"Man is least himself when he speaks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will reveal his true face" --Oscar Wilde

Kvan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Kvan »

Jerian wrote:Either way, meh, I like how it sounds.
Fair enough.

To:

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

you could always just include them and make them uncommon. not all phonemes have to occur with equal frequency, you know.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Monk
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Monk »

/m̥ m n̥ n ɲ̊ ɲ ŋ̊ ŋ/
/p b t d c ɟ k ɡ/
/ɸ β f v θ ð s ç x ɣ h/
/j ɾ r l̥ l/
/w/

Vowels:
/i y u ɪ ʏ e ø o ɛ œ ɔ æ ɑ/
Overwhelming hopelessness in the eyes of burned faces.

Kvan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Kvan »

Monk wrote:/m̥ m n̥ n ɲ̊ ɲ ŋ̊ ŋ/
/p b t d c ɟ k ɡ/
/ɸ β f v θ ð s ç x ɣ h/
/j ɾ r l̥ l/
/w/

Vowels:
Any phonotactics? Allophony?

Are the voiceless nasals and laterals common? Why you no have voiceless labiovelar approximant? I'd like to see more.

To:

Monk
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Monk »

Kvan wrote:
Monk wrote:/m̥ m n̥ n ɲ̊ ɲ ŋ̊ ŋ/
/p b t d c ɟ k ɡ/
/ɸ β f v θ ð s ç x ɣ h/
/j ɾ r l̥ l/
/w/

Vowels:
Any phonotactics? Allophony?

Are the voiceless nasals and laterals common? Why you no have voiceless labiovelar approximant? I'd like to see more.
Argh, I was planning on giving a detailed phonological guide, with the orthography and the allophones, but then I realized I can't really be arsed unless someone really wants it.

Voiceless nasals aren't actually that common right now, although /n̥/ is somewhat more common than the rest. And because I hate how it sounds.

I'll just post those consonants that actually have "weird" allophones:

<f> - /f ɸ v/
<g> - /g ɟ x ɣ Ø j/
<h> - /h ç kh Ø/
<k> - /k c x kh ç/
<n> - /n̥ n ɲ̊ ɲ ŋ̊ ŋ/

Almost every consonant has allophones, but these are the "major" ones so to say.
Overwhelming hopelessness in the eyes of burned faces.

CalebWhite
Niš
Niš

Post by CalebWhite »

My conlang's name is kelunda. I have been creating an outline and this is what I have for every aspect of my phonology. Please give me feedback! :)

kelunda
kʰɛ'lũn.dɑ

Phonology

This overview of the phonology includes explanations of the consonants, vowels, phonological constraints, stress, and orthography.

Consonants

All of the consonants are pulmonic.
Consonants differ by areas of articulation, manners of articulation, voicing, and aspiration.

Areas of Articulation
Consonants can be bilabial, alveolar, post-alveolar, palatal, or velar.

Manners of Articulation
Consonants can be plosives, nasals, fricatives, approximants, or lateral approximants.

Voicing
Plosives can be either unvoiced or voiced.
Nasals are voiced.
Fricatives are phonemically unvoiced.
Approximants and lateral approximants are voiced.

Aspiration
Unvoiced plosives are aspirated where they do not immediately precede another consonant.

In the table immediately below, the consonant phonemes are shown.

Consonant Phonemes
Bilabial Alveolar Post-Alveolar Palatal Velar
Plosives /p/ /b/ /t/ /d/ /tt/ /dd/ /k/ /g/
Nasals /m/ /n/
Fricatives /f/ /s/ /c/ /h/
Approximants /r/ /v/
Lateral Approximants /l/ /ll/

Because this table may look strange in the submitted version, here's an acceptable representation of the phonemes.

Bilabial /p/ /b/ /m/ /f/
Alveolar /t/ /d/ /n/ /s/ /r/ /l/
Alveolar-Palatal /c/
Palatal /tt/ /dd/ /ll/
Velar /k/ /g/ /h/ /v/

Plosives /p/ /b/ /t/ /d/ /tt//dd/ /k/ /g/
Nasals /m//n/
Fricative /f/ /s/ /c/ /h/
Approximants /r/ /l/ /ll/ /v/
Allophones
[p], , [t], [d], [c], [ɟ], [k], [g], [m], [n], [ɸ], [s], [ʃ], [x], [ɹ], [ɰ], [l], and [ʎ] are the allophones of /p/, /b/, /t/, /d/, /tt/, /dd/, /k/, /g/, /m/, /n/, /f/, /s/, /c/, /h/, /r/, /v/, /l/, and /ll/ respectively.
[pʰ], [tʰ], and [kʰ] are the allophones of /p/, /t/, and /k/ respectively where the phoneme immediately precedes the peak.
[β] is the allophone of /f/ where /f/ appears in the onset /bf/.
[z] is the allophone of /s/ where /s/ appears in the onset /ds/.
[ɣ] is the allophone of /h/ where /h/ appears in the onset /gh/.

Vowels

Vowels differ by frontness, degrees of closure, roundedness, and nasalization.

Frontness
Vowels can be either front or back.

Degrees of Closure
Vowels can be closed, mid, or open.

Roundedness
Vowels can be either unrounded or rounded.

Nasalization
Vowels can be either oral or slightly nasal.

In the table immediately below, the vowel phonemes are shown.

Vowel Phonemes
Front Back
Closed /i/ /ï/ /u/
Mid /e/ /ë/
Open /a/

Again this table didn't come out quite right, so here's the revised issue.

Front /i/ /ï/ /e/ /ë/
Back /u/ /a/

Closed /i/ /ï/ /u/
Mid /e/ /ë/
Open /a/
Allophones
, [y], [ɛ], [œ], , [ɑ] are the allophones of /i/, /ï/, /e/, /ë/, /u/, and /a/ respectively.
[ĩ], [ỹ], [ɛ̃], [œ̃], [ũ], [ɑ̃] are the allophones of /i/, /ï/, /e/, /ë/, /u/, and /a/ respectively where the phoneme is a peak that immediately precedes a nasal coda.

Phonological Constraints
Syllable Structure
((C)(/f/, /s/ or /h/))V(/m/ or /n/)

Onset
Any single consonant can appear.
/pf/, /bf/, /ts/, /ds/, /kh/, or /gh/ can appear.

Rime

Peak
Any single vowel must appear.

Coda
/m/ or /n/ can appear.

Syllabification

Syllables are separated between adjacent vowels.
Syllables are separated immediately before a nasal that is immediately followed by a vowel.
Syllables are separated immediately before a consonant that is not a nasal that is immediately followed by a vowel.
Syllables are separated immediately before a consonant that is immediately preceded by a nasal.

Assimilation
/m/ becomes /n/ where /m/ is a coda that immediately precedes a non-bilabial onset.
/n/ becomes /m/ where /n/ is a coda that immediately precedes a bilabial onset.

Stress

Disyllabic Words
The last syllable is stressed

Trisyllabic Words
The second-to-last syllable is stressed.

Quadrisyllabic Words
The second-to-last syllable is stressed.

Polysyllabic Words
The first syllable is stressed.

Orthography

Romanized Alphabet
The letters <p>, <b>, <t>, <d>, <k>, <g>, <m>, <n>, <f>, <s>, <c>, <h>, <r>, <v>, <l>, <i>, <ï>, <e>, <ë>, <u>, and <a> are used to represent the consonant and vowel phonemes.
The phonemes /tt/, /dd/, and /ll/ are represented by double graphemes.
The diacritic mark on the phonemes /ï/ and /ë/ represents roundedness of a vowel that has an unrounded form.

Finally, thanks to gen by Mark Rosenfelder. I can even provide what the actual language might look like purely based on the phonology.

*NOTE: This does not take assimilation into account. Also, I can't provide I.P.A. for this purely because I do not have nearly enough time. I think you'll understand.

Uu ïn uae iïn bfïtiddën ëllu. Cï llï tielen ëïmpfighe ï ieiï. Unnëëe ëmanpeme um uatien suutsi fïa ïghu ë pfuu. Uesa nëmkïgihum nëdï inëbfi bfua ë? Ënfefaa eë uasughie dïfa vunïpfïvï dda. Uagïnënlïn ufi inbienesë ivan ïbfi supuïunu? Mëën ën idsa himvï ivëana bfei. Iu ma dsïu a ï. Ënke su dïbim. Dëmuë ttïcï ibem mïë ë atsë! ttëaie lluiï mea ïnun. Pfuiitsë ddinambe pfëkhë uma ufi ii. Ëneinë van ïmnïni ï tiï khë. Bfumtsëu ïmunrum de daanï ïpam tsunanin. Cettam ï ami ibfë bfaea ëguan anittën ëmrii llu deï. Ï ëre ë ii umlu kamiunï ë? Asïn ungu ddïte memddem ee. Unebfa uërae amiïi ttanu nibïmbfe pfimaëe? Bfuvëm ïna eïfen in ïë centte kum aë? Ïtsa ï uai ia bïm! Gïnvï tsï a ghëkëankimïn bïimuim iirï! Ënene i këmï en ghëa ë. Munha ëï i pepfan dsë. Pfaumïdda bfeca ëmïa gae. Pëke uttë vem fia? Rïkheu ï uen uëëlla ui. Fuumu geï aneum dda ghi ï. Ëlla aim pfa pfïcëpe hem e tam iëu i bfïn ttamhuba tsïm emë? Asu gheni puelue këhalle unbfï bfim. Ea e butïmïuï bfue infï emllenë?

Please leave feedback!
EDIT: Haven't mentioned phonetic glottal stop insertion between vowels.

Buran
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Buran »

This is the phonology of Anaric, my current project.

Phonemes

Orthographic representations of phonemes are in parentheses.

Consonants
Nasal: m (m), n̪ (n)
Stop: b (b), t̪ (t) d̪ (d), k (c) g (g)
Fricative: v (v), θ (th), s (s) ʃ (sh), x (ch), h (h)
Affricate: bv (bv), ts (ts)
Approximant: j (y)
Trill: R (r)
Lateral approximant: l̪ (l)

Vowels

Monopthongs
i (i), u (u), o (o), ɛ (e), a (a)

Diphthongs
[ɛi] (ei), [aɛ] (ae), [ai] (ai), [au] (au)

Vocalic Consonants
/l/, /r/, /n/, and /m/ can act as both vowels and consonants.

Stress
Stress in Anaric falls on the penultimate syllable of a word.

Timing
Anaric is stress-timed.

Phonotactics
(C)(C)(C)V(C)(C)(C)

Epenthesis
Between two vowels (usually two declensions), an epenthetic [x] may be inserted.

Illegal Combinations
At onset
stop, fricative, affricate + [h]
fricative + affricate
At coda
Affricates are treated as two separate phonemes at the coda.
stop + stop of same place and manner of articulation
stop, fricative + [h]

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

This is for Gnoughish. I came up with the orthography ages ago, and never did the phonology to accompany it, so this is largely experimental.

- /a e i o u ɛ œ ɶ e: o: / <a e i o u ea oe oa ee oo>

- /aj aw ja jo iə wa oj ow/ <ai~ay au~aw ia eo ie wa oi~oy ou~ow>

(I assume that ~ can used for "or", if not, then I have :) )

- /b p t d k g/ <b p t d c~k g>
- /f v θ~ð s z ʃ x h/ <f v th s z sh gh h>
- /tʃ dʒ/ <ch j>
- /l w ʍ j r ɹ / <l w wh y r~rh wr>
- /m n ŋ/ <m n ng>

<rh> may be realised as [r̥] in some dialects
The digraph of <gr> is commonly pronounced [ɣ] and <br> as [ʙ], and there may be other effects like this.
It was about time I changed this.

Kvan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Kvan »

ol bofosh wrote:This is for Gnoughish. I came up with the orthography ages ago, and never did the phonology to accompany it, so this is largely experimental.

- /a e i o u ɛ œ ɶ e: o: / <a e i o u ea oe oa ee oo>

- /aj aw ja jo iə wa oj ow/ <ai~ay au~aw ia eo ie wa oi~oy ou~ow>

(I assume that ~ can used for "or", if not, then I have :) )

- /b p t d k g/ <b p t d c~k g>
- /f v θ~ð s z ʃ x h/ <f v th s z sh gh h>
- /tʃ dʒ/ <ch j>
- /l w ʍ j r ɹ / <l w wh y r~rh wr>
- /m n ŋ/ <m n ng>

<rh> may be realised as [r̥] in some dialects
The digraph of <gr> is commonly pronounced [ɣ] and <br> as [ʙ], and there may be other effects like this.
Rhotic approximants and trills are cool when they are phonemically different IMO.

The orthography is a wee bit troublesome in the underdefined symbols (i.e. how r~rh is used for /r/) stick with a single symbol unless there is some consistent pattern where you only use your <rh> for that one dialect with the voiceless trill. And <th> for /θ~ð/ seems a bit Englishy but is entirely reasonable since voicing isn't distinctive in the interdental fricatives. But why <gh> for /x/? That is very misleading <gh> is indicative of /ɣ/ and <kh> is indicative of /x/.

Same thing goes for the orthographic transcription of the vowels /ow/ could easily be <ow> or <ou> you should go with one or the other methinks.

It's interesting that there are open-mid and open rounded front vowels and no closed front rounded vowel but WALS says there are 6 languages which do this (not so much pure-open rounded vowels but mid-rounded, yeah). Hopi is a good example.

Edit: The tone in my post is a bit off point, I'm not trying to just criticize. I hope it was somewhat constructive. And I should note I do indeed like the system and would like to see what you'll generate with it (if you chose to actually make a language with it of course).

To:

Pinetree
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pinetree »

I threw this together in a fit of boredom:

Consonants:
/m~n~ŋ~ɴ/ (default (i.e. intervocallically) is [m])
/p b t d k g/
/pʷ bʷ tʷ dʷ kʷ gʷ/
/pˠ bˠ tˠ dˠ kˠ gˠ/
/pˠʷ bˠʷ tˠʷ dˠʷ kˠʷ gˠʷ/
/f v s z ɣ χ/
/fʷ vʷ sʷ zʷ ɣʷ~wˠ χʷ/
/fˠ vˠ sˠ zˠ/
/fˠʷ vˠʷ sˠʷ zˠʷ/
/l~ɹ lʷ~ɹʷ lˠ~ɹˠ lʷˠ~ɹʷˠ w/

Vowels:
/i y ɯ u e ø ǝ ɤ o a ɒ/

Syllable structure:
(C)(C)(C)V(V̯)(C)(C)(C)

Onset Rules:
Voicing agrees for neighbouring obstruents
Labialised, velarised and labiovelarised(?) consonants may only appear cluster-finally
No neighbouring consonants may share the same MOA
Approximants and nasals may only appear cluster-finally

Nucleus Rules:
Only /i y ɯ u/ are allowed as semivowels
Rounding agrees for semivowels
/ǝ/ may not have a semivowel

Coda Rules:
Voicing agrees for neighbouring obstruents
Labialised, velarised and labiovelarised(?) consonants may not appear
No neighbouring consonants may share the same MOA
Approximants and nasals may only appear cluster-initially

Phonological Processes:
Nasals assimilate the POA of neighbouring consonants, including across syllable and word boundaries
↳ Default assimilation is from the preceding consonant, but in lieu of a preceding consonant, it assimilates from the following consonant
/ǝ/ partially assimilates the height and rounding of the vowel of the preceding syllable

EDIT: A bit of sample Gibberish made with gen (you should see the rules lists. *whistles*)
tʷɒ fpmu tsˠɯ a ksˠekø? kˠɯi̯ai̯pˠʷɯi̯ pfɒ χklu yu̯χtni stsǝ pfɒy̯fkɤ. pʷo tsˠʷɤtnɯtɒ ksa psou̯ɯfpli tχyplekˠɤ kfˠʷɤ tsǝ. tnɣeχpχʷǝ spsifkʷyto a ɒu̯ tˠø ɯ?
Last edited by Pinetree on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cael
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Cael »

This is is Demese, a protolang that has been in my head for more than a year now and has finally reached the drawing board. With that said, it has a huge "Work in progress" sticker attached to it so everything you see is subject to massive overhaul. The inspiration for this phonology was NA langauges. (Although I've been told this phonology, phoneme-wise, resembles Gerogian as well; go-figure.)

Consonant Inventory:
Nasals: /m n/ <m n>
Stops: / p t k p’ t’ k’ d g ʔ/ <p t k p̆ t̆ k̆ d g '>
Fricatives: / v s ʃ h/ <v s s̆ h
Affricates: /t͡ʃ t͡s/ <c̆ c>
Other Sonorants: /j w/ <y w>

Vowel Inventory:
[ɑ əː ɛ ɛː ɪ iː ɔ oː ʊ uː] <a a̠ e e̠ i i̠ o o̠ u u̠>

Syllable Structure:
The basic syllable structure can be represented as the following:
C(y,w)[V/W](F)
C=any consonant or cluster
y/w= appear pending that initial C isn't a cluster
V=being a vowel
W=being a long vowel
F=being any consonant excluding ejectives

Stress fall on the last syllable and is maintained across morphemes.

consonant clusters:
nt nd ng nv mp mv ‘p ‘t ‘s ‘c̆ ‘c sk sc̆ sc s̆t s̆p s̆c̆ s̆c hn hp ht hv hs
and pretty much all obstruents, excluding ejectives, +/y/ or /w/
triple-consonant clusters are not allowed and an /i/ is inserted before the second consonant of the cluster in the cases in which a triple-consonant cluster might appear.
In cases were a double consonant cluster is formed across morphemes and is not permitted, the first consonant geminates to the second

Other phonemic processes
[n] > [m] #_$[p] ($ being syllable boundary)
[t] > [t͡ʃ ] #_$[i/I]
[m] > [n] #_$[t]
(more to come when i work it out)

Notes:
The lack of /l r/ is interesting and is currently unknown if it collapsed into another phoneme or whether or not Demese ever had /l r/ to begin with.
/t͡ʃ t͡s/ are treated as if they are single consonants and therefore appear in double-consonant clusters. But /t͡ʃ/ appears across morphemes in phonemic processes; as does /t͡s/.
/v/ most likely appeared via fricitization of /b/. It would make sense that /d g/ would be fricitivized as well, but comparative process shows that /b/ > /v/ long before obstruents began to become fricatives across the board.
The ejectives have probably always been in Demese as stand along phonemes. Currently it is unknown as to why they do not appear in codas or clusters.

Bachgen_Cymraeg
Niš
Niš

Post by Bachgen_Cymraeg »

My new conlang Naollyyt, spoken by the Naollyytians, a species of troll-like beings from middle-earth. The language has 30 consonants, eight vowels (with a length distinction for each) and seven diphthongs, shown in the image below:
Consonants and vowels of Naollyyt.jpg
Consonants and vowels of Naollyyt.jpg (107.06 KiB) Viewed 4828 times
All morphemes are monosyllabic. Morpheme structure is CV or CVC, where C = consonant and V = vowel or diphthong. The following five consonants can form the coda of CVC morphemes: /p t k n ŋ/. A total of over 4100 possible CV and CVC combinations can be formed (CV=30*23, CVC=30*23*5).
Last edited by Bachgen_Cymraeg on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ambrisio
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ambrisio »

Finnish vowels with Xhosa consonants but no clicks, perhaps? I think these two languages sound very beautiful and I would love to see how Naollyyt progresses.

Here is Proto-Ginösic:

Consonants: /p b t t' d k k' g q qʼ ɢ ʔ/ <p b t tt d k kk g ḳ ḳḳ ġ q>
/s z χ ʁ h/ <s z ḥ ʒ h>
/m n ŋ/ <m n ng>
/l r/ <l r> (the /r/ could be a trill or approximant)
The vowels are: /ɒ ɛ i~e o u ɤ~ə æ/ <a e i o u õ ä> These vowels my form diphthongs or be doubled.

This is supposed to be a proto-language for three distinct groups of dialects: Ginösic /'ginəsɪk/, Ziilbelic /zɪɫ'bɛlɪk/ and Gõnikqäisic /gə'najkəsɪk/.

Refer to the Proto-Ginösic thread for more information.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

Kvan wrote:Edit: The tone in my post is a bit off point, I'm not trying to just criticize. I hope it was somewhat constructive. And I should note I do indeed like the system and would like to see what you'll generate with it (if you chose to actually make a language with it of course).

Thanks for the advice, 'tis appreciated. If I didn't want any I wouldn't have shared it here, lol.

I think there was no point in saying /T~D/ as a phoneme. /T/ can be the phoneme, and [D] can be an allophone, although I've not really figured out how or when I'll use it.

Gnough is meant to be a sort of Anglo-Saxon type language, however the vocabulary is totally different. It's been living the past year as an English relex, now I'm taking Celtic and Germanic features to give it it's own life.
It was about time I changed this.

roninbodhisattva
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by roninbodhisattva »

Something I just whipped up

Code: Select all

p	t	tʸ	č	k	ʔ
	 s	sʸ		 x	h
m	n	
v	r	y

i	u	i:	u:
e	a	e:	a:

Syllable structure is CVC. All consonants except /r ʔ h/ can appear geminated after a short vowel before another vowel. The stops/affricate can also appear geminated before another non-stop, non-nasal phoneme (ippxar 'duck'). The phoneme /r/ can't occur as a word internal coda.

IndieAuthor
Niš
Niš

Post by IndieAuthor »

Phonology for Skaod

Consonants (shown in order of frequency)
ʃ t d ʈ j k h q ɸ f ɕ ɭ c ʔ s ɾ ɻ v ʝ ɖ ʒ β G l g ɟ ɽ z ɹ

Vowels (shown in order of frequency)
e ă u ę ã i I ŏ ā ô ì o ʉ ò ɨ ï

Consonant Blends
rh rs hr kr kw dr gr gw tr tw

I haven't done much with the allophony yet, but I know they don't have any aspirated sounds.

I also have a massive list organizing which syllables can occur where in any given Skaod word, but it's too long to post here. A really basic equation of a Skaod word would be this: (V)C(C)V(C)C(V)(C) Very basic.

Kvan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Kvan »

I was toying around with some more ideas and I'm thinking about the most spoken language on the world my main language is spoke on. I'm going to give a stab at it. It may be the most spoken language on the planet but it has rare traits.

Tipaahn
Consonants
Nasals: /m̥ m n̼̊ n̼ n̥ n/
Plosives /p b t̼ d̼ t d k q/
Fricatives /ɸ β θ̼ ð̼ s/
Tap /ɾ/
Laterals /tɬ dɮ/

Vowels
Oral Series /i: ɪ ɛ æ ɘ ɐ: u: ʊ ɔ ɑ/
Nasal Series /ɛ̃ ɘ̃ ɔ̃ ɑ̃/

Diphthongs
Height Harmonic Series /æɑ̯ ɛɔ̯/
Opening Series /ɪɐ̯ ɛɐ̯ ʊɐ̯ ɔɐ̯/
Closing Series /æɪ̯ ɑɪ̯ æu̯ ɑu̯/
Long Series /i:ɐ̯ uːɐ̯/
Nasal Series /ɑ̃ɪ̯ ɑ̃u̯ ɛ̃ɔ̯/

Consonants typically follow a maximum of s(C)V(V)(C)(C).
  • The syllable is a bit more restricted than that in truth. Any consonant can occur in the consonant onset (even after /s/ however in voiced environments it does become [z]).
  • The coda is a bit less phonetically permissive. In any coda cluster the initial vowel cannot be a voiced plosive and if a plosive occurs in the initial position of the cluster it must be followed by a homorganic consonant.
  • If a cluster arises where a voiceless consonant precedes a voiced consonant the initial consonant voices.
  • Any given nasal can precede any given consonant in a coda cluster (however the sympathetic voicing occurs according to the aforementioned rule). Nasals however never follow laterals (all others are permitted though). Generally in cases where there exists a large gap in places of articulation an epenthetic vowel occurs. Tipaahn strongly resists assimilation.
  • Diphthongs occur in great diversity (as illustrated above). I'm tinkering with a notion that somewhere down the line in an earlier form of Tipaahn /ɘ/ and /ɐ/ were /ə/ but split and in the contexts of diphthongs it became more and more open and in the case of nucleic/syllabic contexts it become more closed now being realized as /ɘ/.
  • Some brief admittances: I stole, than altered the nasal vowel system from French, I stole the Vɐ̯ diphthongs from German and lifted the height-harmonic diphthongs from Old English. I'm not sure what the monophthongs are, I justified my choices by the aformentioned schwa-split which rendered [ɐ] in certain contexts an [ɘ] in others and by the eventual phonemicizing (is that a word?) of both into the system then by creating a parallel /i: ɐ: u:/ vowel system with a rip off of Old English's system. Here is Tipaahn's bastardized version: /ɪ ɛ æ ʊ ɔ ɑ/. So I suppose the system may be a bit much, it's practically three parallel vowel systems overlaid come to think of it...
Anyway, that's a brief overview of something I began tinkering with last night.

Edit: I didn't talk much about the ridiculous situation of rare characteristics. Namely: the presence of phonemic linguolabials, voiceless nasals and only having obstruent laterals. Notably /q/ is only found in borrowed words. I did this to make it entirely alien sounding without being kitchensinky. As you can see there are only two consonants which occur past the alveolar POA. The vowels are numerous but hopefully justifiable. As a last note: I'm thinking that something like 0.8% of all the languages of the world I'm making will have phonemic linguolabials (just a small number regardless but significant statistically speaking).

To: