Congrammar (psychological)

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Congrammar (psychological)

Post by ol bofosh »

I’m playing around with grammar and some psychological concepts (drawn from Jungian psychology as well as transpersonal psychology). It's a language that (attemps to) draw attention to more psychological dimensions of life.

The four functions, sensing, intuition, thinking and feeling are covered by evidentiality and aspect.
Evidentiality – sensory (sensing), inferential (intuition). I’ve also added reportative onto this.
Aspect – neutral (thinking, simply stating facts and info), approbative, pejorative (these two for feeling, i.e. value judgement).

So that’s nine inflections for whether you like something or not, or you’re just simply stating the facts, and also whether you seen it first hand, have a feeling about it or have heard about it from somewhere.

(with order of neutral approbative pejorative)
Inferrential -na -me -mo
Reportative -fa -se -ho
Sensory -pa -te -ko

This is a "congrammar" because for the moment I'm adapting this to English vocab.

Next will be volition-aspect, which was simple, but has since become a tiny bit complicated.
Last edited by ol bofosh on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It was about time I changed this.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Congrammar

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Sounds like an intriguing idea, though your use of aspect seems rather unusual. Normally it describes the temporal composition of the verb, whether it occurs all at once, over time as a process, or something. I am not sure what you would call the category of morphemes which illustrate your attitude toward the action, though. I have taken to calling them affect markers in my own projects.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

It started as simply volitional and non-volitional (conscious and unconscious), but I had to fit in other psychological ideas.

To conscious and unconscious we add superconscious (transpersonal psychology), and split unconscious into several parts: personal unconscious, cultural unconscious and universal unconscious.

Conscious – basic volitional inflection

Superconscious – inspired, unconditioned, spontaneous, transrational and transpersonal states of mind (we ae talking about an advanced lifeform here, lol). Not conscious, because it is not limited by personal volition; not unconscious, because it does not follow pre-set patterns.

Personal unconscious – generally non-volitional/accidental/incidental. Can also describe personal habit.

Collective unconscious is split into two:

Cultural unconscious – tradition, stereotypical behaviour, habitual on a cultural/interpersonal level.

Universal unconscious – nature, archetypal behaviour. Used for gnomic aspect type statements, also useful for story/mythology language.

Granted, I’m not using grammatical terms, but they are yet to come. Also, this inflection basically suggests what motivated or drove the action of a verb, so strictly speaking has nothing to do with aspect, but does draw on similar concepts (habitual (personal and cultural) and gnomic.

That's as much as I've figured out. I'm considering a gender system based on introvert and extrovert. Then there's several "components" of the psyche (a la Jung) like ego and shadow, persona and anima/us, Self, etc.. Active imagination, transcendent function and individuation might be useful, but I've no idea where I'll start with that.

Think I'll go look at Maslow now, use his hierarchy of needs, or something.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

Volitional infixes (very provisional):
Superconscious - (a)sh
Conscious -(a)l
Pers.un -(u)gg
Cult.un -(i)ch
Uni.un -(a)x

Example:
I eatalte bananas (on purpose, I see it happening and I like it).

Later I'll create another system of grammar based on ecology. And after that I shall find ways to combine the two systems to come up with an ecopsychological grammar.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Congrammar (psychological)

Post by Torco »

I don't mean to sound mean but.
I’m playing around with grammar and some psychological concepts (drawn from Jungian psychology as well as transpersonal psychology). It's a language that (attemps to) draw attention to more psychological dimensions of life.
as opposed to... what, exactly ?

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

Torco wrote:I don't mean to sound mean but.
as opposed to... what, exactly ?
I'm thinking of external/internal distinction. I envision it as a grammar that strongly emphasises the internal states of being, as opposed to external circumstances.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

Jabechasqvi wrote:Sounds like an intriguing idea, though your use of aspect seems rather unusual. Normally it describes the temporal composition of the verb, whether it occurs all at once, over time as a process, or something. I am not sure what you would call the category of morphemes which illustrate your attitude toward the action, though. I have taken to calling them affect markers in my own projects.
I see what you mean now. I just thought "Well... yeah, I know that", and then realised I'd written aspect where I should have written affect. Blasted typos.

Maybe it's a Freudian slip type thing, lol.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

Another idea I've had is comparing psychoanalysis and psychosynthesis. One looks to examine and the other to work towards wholeness (Psychosynthesis does include Psychoanalysis, but as a tool towards wholeness).

With that in mind I thought that this psychological language could alternate between analytic and polysynthetic grammar. For example, questions could be analytic and statements, polysynthetic. Don't ask me how, I'm just experimenting with how far I can stretch the psychological metaphor. :wink:

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

An intriguing project. Any thoughts yet on the "gender system based on introvert and extrovert" ? I imagine there'd be a degree of subjectivity involved in what got assigned to each category.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

Ketumak wrote:An intriguing project. Any thoughts yet on the "gender system based on introvert and extrovert" ? I imagine there'd be a degree of subjectivity involved in what got assigned to each category.
I think you might be right about subjectivity. I haven't looked through as list of words to experiment with, but I imagine it might go along the lines of abstract and concrete.

Perhaps where I'm not sure there can be a "balanced" gender, which might show signs of either.

<word>, for example, can be abstract or concrete. As concrete it can represent words as they are written and spoken (being experienced by the senses), but as a concept and a mental activity we might use abstract. Or I can create a new word, which can be seen as abstract-concrete counterparts.

Ketumak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ketumak »

I see. I thought of some other borderline things in that case: optical illusions, mirages and mistaken beliefs. In each case there's doubt about what is internal to the mind and what's out inthe world. You could have some fun with the beliefs thing. I might be certain X exists, unicorns say, but you might be convinced X belongs in the abstract class. I guess this would interact with the evidentiality in interesting ways.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

Following along the lines of extrovert and introvert, I could class nouns along the lines of what makes us (or me) look more "outwards" and what "inwards". Mirages and optical illusions aren't really "introverted" subjects(to me); mistaken beliefs depend on the subject, I suppose, between what makes me look inside and what outside myself (so yes, cleary subjective decision, what do I see outside and what, inside?).

I'm having difficulty with unicorns, because they could be taken either as outside or inside, as real animals , or as symbols of internal subjects. My own belief is that they don't exist and so they are essentially introvert, but this might not be the same for everyone. Some symbols and beliefs even distract us from introspection, even if they're internal. Some external factors make us reflect on ourselves.

This requires more thought...

Ambrisio
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ambrisio »

Ketumak wrote:An intriguing project. Any thoughts yet on the "gender system based on introvert and extrovert" ? I imagine there'd be a degree of subjectivity involved in what got assigned to each category.
But so is "male" and "female" in German.

Vuvuzela
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vuvuzela »

Ithkuil has a grammar based on cognitive linguistics. Might be helpful.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

Very interesting, thanks for the link.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Ambrisio wrote:
But so is "male" and "female" in German.
It's more "let's randomly assign genders and stick with it for no reason for years" rather than "let's randomly choose which gender we want every time we speak"
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cromulant »

ol bofoshnae wrote:Following along the lines of extrovert and introvert, I could class nouns along the lines of what makes us (or me) look more "outwards" and what "inwards"
Things do not evoke the same reaction in all people at all times, nor are "looking outward" and "looking inward" mutually exclusive.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

cromulant wrote:Things do not evoke the same reaction in all people at all times, nor are "looking outward" and "looking inward" mutually exclusive.
Quite...
I'm having difficulty with unicorns, because they could be taken either as outside or inside, as real animals , or as symbols of internal subjects. My own belief is that they don't exist and so they are essentially introvert, but this might not be the same for everyone. Some symbols and beliefs even distract us from introspection, even if they're internal. Some external factors make us reflect on ourselves.

This requires more thought...
Still thinking. :wink:

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cromulant »

Came up with a phonology for you.

Consonants: /p t f s n j/
Vowels: /e i/

Syllable structure: V(C)(C)(C)