An idea for worldbuilding(Simearth?)

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
I Bump Wu
Niš
Niš
Location: AppalaCHia (where the problem is pillheads not rascism)

An idea for worldbuilding(Simearth?)

Post by I Bump Wu »

im a shitty speller sorry. I already said if i had more time it would be cleaner. Am i forever fucked or can we start over.
Last edited by I Bump Wu on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: An idea for worldbuilding(Simearth?)

Post by Kereb »

I Bump Wu wrote:contanits (i make alot of spelling errors because i dont feel like rearranging vowels for 5 mins/ going to google, honestly do they pull written vowels out of a hat.)
It's depressing how certain I am that English is indeed your first language. ESL kids at least try.

it's not an elitism thing; written materials in the English language are REALLY easy to come by and you'd be surprised how easy it is to pick up the conventions when you read the stuff

just make an effort, jesus -- if it's not worth your time to read your own post, why should it be worth everyone else's time to read it?
<Anaxandridas> How many artists do you know get paid?
<Anaxandridas> Seriously, name five.

I Bump Wu
Niš
Niš

Post by I Bump Wu »

Your right i didnt have time to spell correctly due to a shortage of time,and from now on i wont post unless i have time to do so(ill rewrite the post wendsday). Now please allow me to explane my self. I have far above average reading abillity (not bragging we all have our strangths and weaknesses my weakness is math) I taught my self how to read at the age of three, and those puzzles with out the vowels pose me almost no trouble. I thought that the problems here would mearly be aesthetic, and not practical. I know when words are spelled wrong, and i can spell anything if i fiddle for long enough . I just refuse to memorize the entomology(Wednesday!!) of every native English word ,and the orthogrophy(Wednesday) of every foreign language out of philosophical princible(Wednesday). You can waste your neurons. The entire Cherokee tribe was literate with in months. A lover of English spelling is an asinine worshipper of tradition. The Western world is doomed because our education system is so preoccupied with rote memorization that people are incapible of adapting to an exponinatally(Wednesday) changing world. Childern never develop a little thing called nueroplasticsity(Wednesday). If somthing is both extreamly(windsdehhlol) counterproductive and provides no recerational(Wind's Day) vaule dont do it. Thats a philisophical princible (Wednesday) i refuse to abandon simply because the slight majority of people have no abillity to think outside of the box. From now on ill treat every post as if its a fucking disertation(Wednesday) (this one dont count because i have shit to do) (Whens day?) PEACE

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

I Bump Wu wrote:Your right i didnt have time to spell correctly due to a shortage of time,and from now on i wont post unless i have time to do so(ill rewrite the post wendsday).
Don't. It's not worth doing.
I Bump Wu wrote:Now please allow me to explane my self. I have far above average reading abillity (not bragging we all have our strangths and weaknesses my weakness is math) I taught my self how to read at the age of three, and those puzzles with out the vowels pose me almost no trouble. I thought that the problems here would mearly be aesthetic, and not practical. I know when words are spelled wrong, and i can spell anything if i fiddle for long enough.
When you can't spell, you give the impression that you don't see those words very often. When you won't spell, you give the impression that you think your first hershey squirt of a thought is Good Enough for everyone, no matter how incomprehensible it is. And that you figure everyone should always assume the best of you no matter what you show them. The benefit of the doubt only lasts as long as the doubt does.
I just refuse to memorize the entomology(Wednesday!!) of every native English word , and the orthogrophy(Wednesday) of every foreign language out of philosophical princible(Wednesday).
Nobody would expect you to. Just write as if you actually respect the people who have to read you.
You can waste your neurons.
You may learn that not only do most people have enough neurons to learn a whole language, but some people actually manage multiple languages!!!
The entire Cherokee tribe was literate with in months.
that's nice
A lover of English spelling is an asinine worshipper of tradition.
Or a lover of the English language? People here tend to like languages. Warts and all.
The Western world is doomed because our education system is so preoccupied with rote memorization that people are incapible of adapting to an exponinatally(Wednesday) changing world.
Reading and writing skills can be learned by means other than rote. You'd be surprised how easy it is to pick up the conventions when you read ... wait, I already said that.
Childern never develop a little thing called nueroplasticsity(Wednesday).
Are you suggesting that your brain is too inflexible to learn to spell? You may be more plastic than you think. Give it a go.
If somthing is both extreamly(windsdehhlol) counterproductive and provides no recerational(Wind's Day) vaule dont do it. Thats a philisophical princible (Wednesday) i refuse to abandon simply because the slight majority of people have no abillity to think outside of the box.
Yeah, your radical new approach to literacy is leaving a train of dropped monocles in your wake. Either that or you're just making yourself look like someone too proud of himself to learn new things. Why even bother asking your question? Grab a bottle of lotion and some kleenex and go Feel Good about what you would have thought anyway.
From now on ill treat every post as if its a fucking disertation(Wednesday) (this one dont count because i have shit to do) (Whens day?) PEACE
U mad bro?

Vardelm
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vardelm »

All I got from that was...
I Bump Wu wrote:i r stoopid an lazy
Tibetan Dwarvish - My own ergative "dwarf-lang"

Quasi-Khuzdul - An expansion of J.R.R. Tolkien's Dwarvish language from The Lord of the Rings

Anguipes
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Anguipes »

I woz werkin on sumthin like that, and thort ov SimEarth. IIRC gettin it to simulate climeate only iz the problum, becoz it duz contanital drift tu. yu cant spessyfy plate shapes, detail iz v. lo, and the tools r diffycult to uze. wish I new hau the code werked so I cud addapt it. a long taim sins I uzed it tho, it mait werk 4 sum peep's conwerlds.
"It is quite certain, in particular, that I have always been insane." ~ Aleister Crowley

"Save us all from arrogant men/And all the causes they're for/I won't be righteous again/I'm not that sure any more." ~ Shades of Grey, Billy Joel

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Fact: English is the only language in the whole world with an irregular orthography!

Vuvuzela
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vuvuzela »

Tieđđá wrote:Fact: English is the only language in the whole world with an irregular orthography!
And it's holding us back, too. At this rate, the Chinese will catch up to us in no time!

I Bump Wu
Niš
Niš

Post by I Bump Wu »

and im a message board noob.
Last edited by I Bump Wu on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I Bump Wu
Niš
Niš

Post by I Bump Wu »

[quote="I Bump Wu"]Im going into culinary arts, and i can look it up on my iphone i have dysgraphia. but i have no trouble reading i wouldnt talk down to a dyslexic. I did freak out. I wasnt angery i just got frustrated go ahead take down the topic. truce? it takes me alot of time to spell. i love reading & linguistics . Im sorry. i will post clean from now on. Can we pretend this never happened.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

If you actually have dysgraphia then it's best to say that from the start, rather than writing a long and rather self-righteous paragraph about your moral objections to English spelling conventions.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

no, I wouldn't talk down to a dyslexic.
but it's a lot harder to believe that explanation after "i cud spel but i dun cuz i r not a sheeple liek u lol". If you'da led with dyslexia, I'd be the one to look like an asshole.

I Bump Wu
Niš
Niš

Post by I Bump Wu »

i know that wasnt my point, you didnt know i was dysgraphic ,shit that came off wrong. im really not trying to play the victim. im not used to debating without the benifit of inflection , i saw your commint as nitpickery because i forgot how easy it is for most people to spell that was a lapse in judgement. im not trying to play the victim im the asshole. i get pissed at english spelling conventions becuase they make shit hard, that rant was directed at orthography not you,(inflection would have made that clear i will make sure my comments are unambigiuos) i was accully gald you pointed it out.

I Bump Wu
Niš
Niš

Post by I Bump Wu »

i retract my apology i just didnt wanna flame war cause i like how much work mark rose puts into this but if your gonna alpha male me on a skill my fucking computor can do for me fine. i could respond to every single critisim on this board but i dont feel like it. so just asume i have no counter arguments, its a thread on a fucking message board. shalom

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

(un?)luckily for you, this post shall forever be preserved :|
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

What is going on here?

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Ephemera material stuff
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

clawgrip wrote:What is going on here?
Basically it went down like this:
I Bump Wu wrote:argle bliggle blaggle help me maek sum contanints lol english speling is stoopz
Kereb wrote:damn man just try to be coherent okay?
I Bump Wu wrote:I rock at englsih and cud spel but I don't becuaus I R NOT A HITLER. Sory if that ROCKS YOURE WORLD GRANMPA.
several others wrote:Wow you're being a dumbshit
I Bump Wu wrote:Turns out I have dyslexia!
several others wrote:oh well you should have said so from the start
and then, what is basically the punchline:
I Bump Wu wrote:Right. Sorry.
(six hours pass in which nobody posts anything)
I Bump Wu wrote:Well if you're going to be like THAT, then I retract my apology! AIR GUITAR *monocles lie strewn everywhere*

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

This is hilarious.

(Also "culinary arts" lol)
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

el imiradu
Sanci
Sanci

Post by el imiradu »

I don't understand what Wednesday has to do with anything. Is it because it's hard to spell?
Regenerated.

romanuc embilocu

Vuvuzela
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Vuvuzela »

el imiradu wrote:I don't understand what Wednesday has to do with anything. Is it because it's hard to spell?
i (Wednesday) think he was saying that every time he mispelles(Wednesday)a word, he was intending gon(Wednesday) corresting( Wednesday) it on Wednesatay (Wednesday)
(sad bit is, all of these exept (Wednesday) the failure to capitalise the first "I" wewe (Wednesday) legitimayte (Wednesday) typos)