'Eleta Senin

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
justin
Sanci
Sanci

'Eleta Senin

Post by justin »

So, my latest project is a vaguely Polynesianish thing which I have called (for the moment, possibly) Senin.
I have some words and some grammar lined out, but nothing I'm proud enough to show in public yet.

That being said, here's the syllabary, 'eleta Senin ('eleta "writing; to write"):
I don't have access to a scanner, so I have to deal with taking a picture of the piece of paper.

Couple notes:
  • There's a final nasal (usually spelled n but sometimes m depending on environment), which is indicated in native orthography by an underline.
  • There are long vowels, which are indicated with something vaguely resembling an acute accent, in both the native orthography and the romanization.
Thoughts? Questions? Comments? Praise? Rocks to throw?
Soî yelî sanoralî er verdî dormü gurišece.
Se vŕeȥe ili buz orarn dŕmn gulregi.
Economic Left/Right: -5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: 'Eleta Senin

Post by Matrix »

That syllabary looks like you took the Latin Alphabet and Hangeul, sprinkled a bit of Katakana on top, and put it in a blender.

That's not any sort of value judgement on it. Just what the inspirational components look like to me.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

justin
Sanci
Sanci

Post by justin »

There's also a slightly more angular, ornamental-type version that I didn't bother posting. The major difference is that fa, wa, sa, & la look like they're on an LED display, and then it builds from that. I figured that would be either the carved-on-walls/typeset version, and the one I posted is what it looks like handwritten.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

I think it is a nice starting point, but visually, it's a little dull and regular as-is. You say there is an ornamental version; I would be interested in seeing it, to see how you elaborated on this basic design. Later on perhaps I can give you some examples on how you can evolve or stylize it if you're interested.

justin
Sanci
Sanci

Post by justin »

I shouldn't have said "ornamental." It's actually more basic. It's more angular. One might use it for carvings, or (eventually) printed type, as in books.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Nice script. A text sample would be good.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

justin
Sanci
Sanci

Post by justin »

I will do that when I have more words to write for you.

Linguist Wannabe
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Linguist Wannabe »

Matrix wrote:That syllabary looks like you took the Latin Alphabet and Hangeul, sprinkled a bit of Katakana on top, and put it in a blender.
I somewhat agree. Is the script meant to have evolved in isolation or been influenced by any others (and if so, what)?

justin
Sanci
Sanci

Post by justin »

I sort of imagined it came about as a result of "All these people we've been trading with have this. We should come up with one."

Linguist Wannabe
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Linguist Wannabe »

justin wrote:I sort of imagined it came about as a result of "All these people we've been trading with have this. We should come up with one."
Ah, so like Sequoyah's "talking leaves"? You can read about them here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequoyah#C ... _syllabary).

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

I hope you'll forgive the presumptuousness but I went ahead and made a font of your script for you. I added a bit of Latin-style serifs and thick-thin alternations to make it a bit more interesting and to differentiate the vowel marks for /o/ and /u/. I also had to guess about the long vowel mark. You said it looked like an acute accent so I went with that.

Last edited by clawgrip on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2+3 clusivity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by 2+3 clusivity »

Oh, that's pretty cool Clawgrip. What programs did you use?

Overall, pretty good system. The Vertical bars remind me alot of North Indian scripts.
linguoboy wrote:So that's what it looks like when the master satirist is moistened by his own moutarde.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

2+3 clusivity wrote:Oh, that's pretty cool Clawgrip. What programs did you use?
Same as I do for my fonts in general: I design the letter forms in Adobe Illustrator 8.0 and import them into High-Logic Font Creator 6.0.
2+3 clusivity wrote:Overall, pretty good system. The Vertical bars remind me alot of North Indian scripts.
The vertical bars are actually the one major problem with this script. I didn't notice until I started making the font, but it becomes unclear if the bar belongs to the letter before it or the letter after it. For example, if you write <la + vertical bar + sa>, it's unclear if that is meant to be /laso/ or /lusa/. I solved this problem in the font subtly using serifs and spacing, but I figure the handwriting would probably need something more obvious. Perhaps the serifs could be written out in handwriting much like the numeral 1 often is.

Also, I realized just now that <po> needs to have its own independent glyph because the serif is too close to the vowel mark (cf. <mo, ti, tu, etc.>). I will update the font later on.

justin
Sanci
Sanci

Post by justin »

Linguist Wannabe wrote:Ah, so like Sequoyah's "talking leaves"? You can read about them here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequoyah#C ... _syllabary).
Exactly. I may make that the word for a sheet of paper now...
clawgrip wrote:I hope you'll forgive the presumptuousness but I went ahead and made a font of your script for you. I added a bit of Latin-style serifs and thick-thin alternations to make it a bit more interesting and to differentiate the vowel marks for /o/ and /u/. I also had to guess about the long vowel mark. You said it looked like an acute accent so I went with that.

You're my new favorite.

justin
Sanci
Sanci

Post by justin »

Although, one thing: HU did not make its way into the font. Could you please fix that?

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

Sorry, I put several small fixes into the font (including <hu>), but it seems I neglected to upload the new version. I thought I had done this but I guess not. Anyway I will upload the new version fairly soon.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

The font file has been updated. That chart maps to the following keys:

a e i o u t T d Ot tU
h H x X Y n N r On nU
p P b D pU s S z Os Z
m M j J mU l L R Ol lU
f F v Of fU k K g G c
w W V Ow wU q Q C y qU

progressively longer underlines:
;-_

acute accent:

justin
Sanci
Sanci

Post by justin »

Since you've all been good little boys and girls, I have a present for you:
Hé 'alímo "the numbers" (1-10)

Also, clawgrip: I can't get the new font from that link. I don't know if it's just me, or what.

clawgrip
Smeric
Smeric

Post by clawgrip »

justin wrote:Also, clawgrip: I can't get the new font from that link. I don't know if it's just me, or what.
fixed

Do you want me to alter <mi> to be connected at the bottom and to have a descender? It looks like that's how you're writing it.

justin
Sanci
Sanci

Post by justin »

Nah, that's just the result of what happens when I try to write quickly. Not a tendency of the script itself, just of the conlanger.