How much to develop a conlang before posting it here?

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
shinkarom
Sanci
Sanci

How much to develop a conlang before posting it here?

Post by shinkarom »

How sufficiently must a conlang be developed before I can put it here?
How many words must be done, how many grammatical rules must be elaborated?
I'm asking this because:
First, when I posted my first project (KAPMAN. You know, baby steps) I got lot of backlash.
Second, I can't work without constant feedback and nudging in particular directions.
So, which is the threshold before which the conlang is not ready yet and after which it can be shown to the community?

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Re: How much to develop a conlang before posting it here?

Post by ol bofosh »

I've got a psychlang and ecolang, but all I've worked out is some grammar, and not much of that. No phonology, no orthography, no name even. And yet there they are.

I've got others, Gnoughish and Alahithian which are more developed, and yet they are not finished. Perhaps never finished.
It was about time I changed this.

Kereb
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Kereb »

shinkarom wrote:So, which is the threshold before which the conlang is not ready yet and after which it can be shown to the community?
there is none.

Here's how you can go about it:

- come up with a name for your conlang
- post your "phonology", saying you've got grammar ready to post later (you don't actually need this bit though). Make your phonology just a list of letters -- "b as in bat" etc. Maybe put something about syllable structure, but make sure that any short example text you give includes at least a sound or two not listed in your inventory, and a combination of sounds that you've said wouldn't be permitted (so like, say you want to keep it simple CV and then include words like palka etc)
- you will attract replies from people who camp here waiting to tell people to learn the IPA. You'll also get a couple of replies saying that since your exact inventory of sounds isn't attested elsewhere, it's unrealistic.
- rather than figure out what makes a realistic phonology, decide your list of letters was somehow onerously complicated and scrap the project as a non-starter.
- come up with another name for a conlang and repeat.

shinkarom
Sanci
Sanci

Post by shinkarom »

Kereb, I think you've read too much "How not to Write a Novel".

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

ain't no threshold, but if you only post like a bunch of phonemes and go "what do you think about this" there's not gonna be a lot to say about it.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

Well, you could share the phonology alone, as long as it's not with "look at my language" but rather "look at the phonology I have for a possible language", or something like that. :wink:
It was about time I changed this.

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

I wouldn't say there's necessarily a minimum amount you have to present, although a post along the lines of "my conlang will contain the phoneme /t/" is probably not enough. A lot of threads here literally are little more than the phoneme inventory and as far as I can tell even these often get some sort of response. Perhaps the quality is more important than the quantity if you want to avoid "backlash" - e.g. a phoneme inventory that can be considered not to be very good might not go down very well.

Personally I tend to post very little about my languages until I have a significant amount present - I don't think I posted anything very much about Greater Atlian until I had a 70+ page grammar, and my first really substantial posting on the latest version of Viksen was a link to the 27-page syntax. For this reason, I have a lot of conlangs that I've never posted anything on at all. But this may not necessarily be the best course of action as I suspect you're more likely to get more response if you post things in a lot of smallish chunks - and this is also a better way of getting feedback as you go along.

Anguipes
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Anguipes »

The ZBB is not a place of honor. No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here. Nothing valued is here. No teaching is contained here. Your conscript looks like Tengwar.

... or, to maximise the chance of useful replies, post at whatever stage you feel a) you feel you cannot go any further and b) you know exactly what kind of help to ask for.
"It is quite certain, in particular, that I have always been insane." ~ Aleister Crowley

"Save us all from arrogant men/And all the causes they're for/I won't be righteous again/I'm not that sure any more." ~ Shades of Grey, Billy Joel

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

As a general rule - and there are some exceptions to this - you've got two options:
A: post when you have very little stuff to post
B: post when you have a lot of stuff to post

If you pick A, people will tell you to come back when you have something meaningful to post. If you pick B, people will ignore you.

Your choice, really.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Ser
Smeric
Smeric
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia / Colombie Britannique, Canada

Post by Ser »

Hey, that's not true. Choosing B, you at least get WeepingElf's RockN'Roll's...

shinkarom
Sanci
Sanci

Post by shinkarom »

I choose option C: create a Questions and Answers thread, post there my questions (I need a lot of mentoring) and from time to time post updates to get feedback, advice and comments.
Is this option available?

maıráí
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by maıráí »

You could spam the C&C question thread and start a scratchpad.