Post your conlang's phonology

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Kvan
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Post your conlang's phonology

Post by Kvan »

Pinetree wrote:Something I cooked up last week:

Phoneme Inventory:

N m n ŋ
Pd p t c k
Pv b d ɟ g
Fd f s ɕ
Fv v z ʑ
T ɽ
A j w
Al l

V ɑ e i o u ɚ~ɻ̍*

Syllable structure:
C1V(C2)(C3)

C1=Pd Pv Fd Fv T A Al
C2=A
C3=N Al
if V=ɚ~ɻ̍, C1≠T

Allophony:
None concieved at this time.

*I used the vertical line above to signify syllabicity, seeing how the ɻ symbol descends so low as to obscure the vertical line below

Do comment, please.
If you'd like comments I'd suggest some more allophony. When I post my random ass phonology's I usually do so just for fun. If you're looking for constructive feedback, I'd recommend posting a more fleshed out version. Then we'll have something to work with more than just a list of a few phonemes.
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.69

To:
Economic Left/Right: -6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.33

kanejam
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by kanejam »

Hello, newbie here. This is the phonology of ketzumin /qeʦ̺umĩ/

/m (n̻) n̺ ŋ (ɴ)/ <m n' n ng n>
/t̻ ʦ̺ k q (ʔ)/ <t tz k k' '>
/s̻ s̺ l/ <s z l>

/a i u/

There are no diphthongs or long vowels. Vowels carry either high tone or low tone. Syllable structure is CV(R) where the initial consonant is optional at the start of a word. The only consonants found in the syllable coda are s, z, l, t and n. The t and n both assimilate heavily to the following poa and are realised word finally as a glottal stop and nasalisation respectively.

I've tried to make it crazy and different while still keeping it very simple.
If you cannot change your mind, are you sure you have one?

Here's a thread on Oscan.

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

kanejam wrote:Hello, newbie here. This is the phonology of ketzumin /qeʦ̺umĩ/

/m (n̻) n̺ ŋ (ɴ)/ <m n' n ng n>
/t̻ ʦ̺ k q (ʔ)/ <t tz k k' '>
/s̻ s̺ l/ <s z l>

/a i u/

There are no diphthongs or long vowels. Vowels carry either high tone or low tone. Syllable structure is CV(R) where the initial consonant is optional at the start of a word. The only consonants found in the syllable coda are s, z, l, t and n. The t and n both assimilate heavily to the following poa and are realised word finally as a glottal stop and nasalisation respectively.

I've tried to make it crazy and different while still keeping it very simple.
Nice and naturalistic phonology, but crazy and different this is at most to... Uh...

No one?

Anyway, have my seal of approval, and welcome to the board.

Oh yes, and you are entitled to pickles and tea.
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

TehranHamburger
Lebom
Lebom

Post by TehranHamburger »

Plosives: k, kh, t, th, p, ph
fricatives: h, s
sonorants: n, ŋ, m, r, ʋ , j, l
vowels:, i, ɑ, ɔ, ɛ, u

Syallabic structure: A syllable can consist of one or two morae. An initial mora and an optional closing mora. The initial mora is (C)V(C), the closing mora is S(C). If two-moraed syllable cannot end its initial mora on a constant. As in possible words ar Kerttu: ke-rt-tu. Nahtua, Nah-tu-a. Arkhteen: A-rkh-te-en

Notes: kh, th, ph are realized as x,θ, f in the coda of a syllable. Long vowels, diphthongs and consonants phonemically just considered successions of two sounds, ɛ is realized as a schwa in unstressed syllables.

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

Oh look, it's an Azenti sound inventory:

/m n/
<m n>

/p b bʰ t d dʰ k g gʰ/
<p b bh t d dh k g gh>

/f v s z θ ç ʝ x ɣ/
<f v s z th ç jj x* gg>
*: <h> at the beginning of a word

/ɾ l j (w)/
<r l j (u)>

/ts dz/
<ć ź>

/i e a o u/
<i e a o u>

/y ø ɤ ɯ/
<y ê ô û>

Not much in the way of allophony yet, besides this very important bit: rounded vowels will ablaut to their unrounded counterparts when next to /x ɣ/--/o u/ will ablaut to /ɤ ɯ/. Likewise, unrounded vowels next to /ç ʝ/ will ablaut to their rounded counterparts--/i e/ will ablaut to /y ø/.

Should a situation happen where a vowel is in-between these kinds of fricatives, such as the hypothetical word *Hejj, then it will forcibly ablaut to /a/ no matter what it is: Hajj
Nūdhrēmnāva naraśva, dṛk śraṣrāsit nūdhrēmanīṣṣ iźdatīyyīm woḥīm madhēyyaṣṣi.
satisfaction-DEF.SG-LOC live.PERFECTIVE-1P.INCL but work-DEF.SG-PRIV satisfaction-DEF.PL.NOM weakeness-DEF.PL-DAT only lead-FUT-3P

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

a) it's not ablaut what you're referring to
b)
Should a situation happen where a vowel is in-between these kinds of fricatives, such as the hypothetical word *Hejj, then it will forcibly ablaut to /a/ no matter what it is: Hajj
Explain further. What's "these kinds", like "{x ɣ} {ç ʝ}" or just between fricatives from one of the groups.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

As far as I know, ablaut refers to a vowel changing in the middle of a word when inflecting it. Under that definition, the example I provided was not ablaut--but it DOES occur in Azenti: all Class 2 verbs (ones that end in a vowel in the root) form their middle stem by ablauting the first vowel in the root (this stems from when the middle voice stem was formed by inserting a yod directly after the first vowel of the root). For instance, the verb stela-'s middle stem is stola, while the verb bhusci-'s middle stem is bhisci-. These examples, however, exhibit a different kind of ablaut than the one I described previously--one called backness-ablaut, where /i e/ ablaut to /u o/ and vice versa.
Explain further. What's "these kinds", like "{x ɣ} {ç ʝ}" or just between fricatives from one of the groups.
Laconically, anytime a vowel is between a palatal fricative and a velar fricative, it will alter to /a/.
satisfaction-DEF.SG-LOC live.PERFECTIVE-1P.INCL but work-DEF.SG-PRIV satisfaction-DEF.PL.NOM weakeness-DEF.PL-DAT only lead-FUT-3P

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Chagen wrote:
As far as I know, ablaut refers to a vowel changing in the middle of a word when inflecting it. Under that definition, the example I provided was not ablaut...
It's not about "vowel changing in the middle of a verb when inflecting it", as you can call umlaut an ablaut as well.
It's not "changing" as much as outright substitution - "fall : fell (a:e)" - without any visible influence of other phones in the word.
but it DOES occur in Azenti: all Class 2 verbs (ones that end in a vowel in the root) form their middle stem by ablauting the first vowel in the root (this stems from when the middle voice stem was formed by inserting a yod directly after the first vowel of the root). For instance, the verb stela-'s middle stem is stola, while the verb bhusci-'s middle stem is bhisci-. These examples, however, exhibit a different kind of ablaut than the one I described previously--one called backness-ablaut, where /i e/ ablaut to /u o/ and vice versa.
And the above is totally irrelevant since I don't care about those ablauts I'm talking about the fauxblaut you mentioned.
Laconically, anytime a vowel is between a palatal fricative and a velar fricative, it will alter to /a/.
k
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Zontas
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zontas »

Here's a romanization re-do for Chagen. I do not own Azenti, all profits go to Chagen.

/m n/
<m n>

/p b bʰ t d dʰ k g gʰ/
<p b bh t d dh k q qh>

/f v s z θ ç ʝ x ɣ/
<f v s z th ç j x* g>

*: <h> at the beginning of a word

/ɾ l j (w)/
<r l j (w)>

/ts dz/
<ć/c ź>

/i e a o u/
<i e a o u>

/y ø ɤ ɯ/
<y/î ê ô û>
Hey there.

cromulant
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cromulant »

<q> for /g/ speaks for itself, and you've failed to distinguish two pairs of phonemes. EDIT: sorry, just the one you've <j>'ed.

/p b bʰ t d dʰ k g gʰ/
<p b bh t d dh k g gh>

/f v s z θ ç ʝ x ɣ/
<f v s z th c j h x>

/ɾ l j (w)/
<r l y (w)>

/ts dz/
<ts dz>

/i e a o u/
<i e a o u>

/y ø ɤ ɯ/
<î ê ô û>

Something like that. My judgment may be a bit off on the fricatives, especially the velar ones. The presence of both <gʰ> and <ɣ> really fucks with my preference for consistent, systematic Romanizations. I thought about using hC digraphs for either the frics or the breathy stops, but the sheer cussed fugliness of <hg> gives me pause.

Micropterus
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Micropterus »

This is the phonology of a language I'm working right now, a bit crazy but I like it. I'm calling it "Chipotle" until I make a real name for it.

Chipotle
Plosives: /p t k/ <p t k> <π τ κ>
Nasals: /m n/ <m n> <μ ν>
Fricatives: /ɸ s x ɣ/ <f s h g> <φ σ χ γ>
Affricates: /ts ps ks/ <z q x> <ζ ψ ξ>
Vowels: /a æ ø ə i ɤ u ʊ j w/ <a ä e ë i o u ü y w> <α ά ε έ η ο υ ύ ι ω>

It has a CV(C) structure with final consonants being /n m s/
Possible Diphtongs and Triphtongs are:
Diphtongs: jV wV Vʊ V:
Triphtongs: VjV VwV V:ʊ

Edit: Fixed some mistakes.
Last edited by Micropterus on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

/ps/ <q> really?
Also /x/ and /ks/ aren't distinguished and /ks/ isn't really an affricate, nor is /ps/ (it's heterorganic but I doubt it's what you're looking for since that's a different, coarticulate sound)
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Micropterus
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Micropterus »

Elector Dark wrote:/ps/ <q> really?
Also /x/ and /ks/ aren't distinguished and /ks/ isn't really an affricate, nor is /ps/ (it's heterorganic but I doubt it's what you're looking for since that's a different, coarticulate sound)
<q> because <q> is <p> backwards, or because I was running out of characters and didn't want to use digraphs, although the /x/ and /ks/ flew by me ... I suppose I'll have to think of something else, maybe <h> for /x/ and x for /ks/
Well, I didn't know about that, all I knew was an affricate was a stop that released into a stop, although maybe that only applies if they are of the same thingy (like bilabial stop and bilabial fricative, or alveolar stop and fricative)
I'll just list'em under ligature sounds, I suppose.

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

Diacritics? You could use comma below for added s. Comma below gets so little love.
sex want-PRS-1sg
Basic Conlanging Advice

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Micropterus wrote:<q> because <q> is <p> backwards, or because I was running out of characters and didn't want to use digraphs, although the /x/ and /ks/ flew by me ... I suppose I'll have to think of something else, maybe <h> for /x/ and x for /ks/
Well, I didn't know about that, all I knew was an affricate was a stop that released into a stop, although maybe that only applies if they are of the same thingy (like bilabial stop and bilabial fricative, or alveolar stop and fricative)
I'll just list'em under ligature sounds, I suppose.
It's not that they aren't that (yes they are most frequently coarticulate plosive and fricative of the same POA), it's that heterorganic affricates (affricates whose segments are from different points, such as /px/) sound fundamentally different from consonant clusters of the same kind (so that /k͡s/ is quite different from /ks/), and that what you described isn't near what you mean (if you mean a sound alike English's /ks/ in <box> and /ps/ from <epilepsy>)
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Micropterus
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Micropterus »

Hallow XIII wrote:Diacritics? You could use comma below for added s. Comma below gets so little love.
I didn't even know that was a thing until now, but I was also trying to steer clear from diacritics because they aren't so easy for me to type, save a few such as ´,`,~,^and ¨ (and even then, just on vowels).
I just did the Helenization because I kinda have a thing for the Greek Alphabet

@ED, that's weird. I did mean these sounds, I could swear I had the ligature arc on them though ... Oh well, the editor must have cut it off.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Micropterus wrote:@ED, that's weird. I did mean these sounds, I could swear I had the ligature arc on them though ... Oh well, the editor must have cut it off.
Hm, might you explain since I'm having trouble understanding?

By that, did you mean <box> and <epilepsy> or what? In that case it's best to exclude the ligature arc.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Micropterus
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Micropterus »

Elector Dark wrote:
Micropterus wrote:@ED, that's weird. I did mean these sounds, I could swear I had the ligature arc on them though ... Oh well, the editor must have cut it off.
Hm, might you explain since I'm having trouble understanding?

By that, did you mean <box> and <epilepsy> or what? In that case it's best to exclude the ligature arc.
Yeah, I had some trouble formulating the answer; I meant it as both the sounds on box and epilepsy.
Uggh, linguistics are confusing

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

Then remove the ligature arc and still have them pattern as affricates. They'll sound like you want, and they'll behave as you want.
(pattern as = behave in a manner identical to or simmilar as; be part of the same series as (while possibly not like) etc.)
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
Sincerely,
sano

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

Micropterus wrote:
Hallow XIII wrote:Diacritics? You could use comma below for added s. Comma below gets so little love.
I didn't even know that was a thing until now, but I was also trying to steer clear from diacritics because they aren't so easy for me to type
Yeah, the typing can be a bitch. Thanks to unicode combining diacritics and MSKLC I can, however, type stuff like "cűmööja atǿ̦si" when I'm working on my conlang.
sex want-PRS-1sg
Basic Conlanging Advice

cybrxkhan
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by cybrxkhan »

Something I've been working on - Athlian. So far I have the phonologies for Proto-Athlian and its descendent Classical Athlian (later I'll whip up Classical Athlian's descendant, Modern Standard Athlian).

The main inspiration is Arabic, but there's a good hint of Persian particularly with Proto-Athlian and some other random middle eastern flavor as well. The influences are easier to see with the sample words than the phonologies.

Proto-Athlian

Consonants:
/p b t d k g q ɢ ʔ/ <p b t d k g q '>
/θ ð s z x ɣ h/ <th dh s z kh gh h>
/m n/ <m n>
/l r~ɾ w j χ ʁ~ʀ/ <l r w y j x>

Vowels:
/a e i o u/ <a e i o u>

Classical Athlian

Consonants:
/b t d k g q ʔ/ <b t d k g q '>
/f θ ð s z ʃ x ɣ ħ h/ <f th dh s z sh kh gh j h>
/m n/ <m n>
/l r~ɾ w j ʙ/ <l r w y bh>

Vowels:
/a a: e e: i i: o o: u u:/ <a ā e ē i ī o ō u ū>

Random sample words:

/tulb gar.mand/ > /tu:b gar.ma:d/
/mor.ro.wind/ > /mar.ra.wi:d/
/slum χa.dran/ > /si:m har.dan/
/ji.ʔub/ > /he.ʔub/
/χa.lo.diln/ > /ħa.la.di:n/
/tuwl.lern.jeh/ > /til.la:n.jeh/
/mu.ha.dlom/ > /mu.ha.dim/
I have a blog, unfortunately: http://imperialsenate.wordpress.com/
I think I think, therefore I think I am.

Pinetree
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pinetree »

Not really a phonology, rather a vowel set for a hypothesised English dialect:

TRAP [æ]
STRUT [ʊ]
DRESS [ɛ]
KIT [ʏ]
LOT [ɔ]
CLOTH [ɔ]
FOOT [ʉ]

BATH [aː]
PALM [aː]
START [aːr]
NURSE [ɛːr]
FLEECE [iː]
THOUGHT [aː]
NORTH [aːr]
FORCE [aːr]
GOOSE [ʉ̯uː]

PRICE [ə̯ɪ]
MOUTH [ɔ̯ʊ]
SQUARE [er]
FACE [eː]
GOAT [ʌ̯ʊ]
NEAR [ɪr]
CHOICE [ɔ̯ɪ]
CURE [ur]

What do you guys think? I think they'll th-stop as well.

Melteor
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Melteor »

Pebötecü phonology, because.

Consonants:
/p b t~ɾ g q ɢ / <p b t k q g>
/f r~ð s ts dz tɕ ʑ ɕ x~ç χ/ <f d s c z ć j ś h x>
/l m n ŋ~ɴ/ <l m n Vn(-)>

Vowels:
/i ɯ u/ <i ü u>
/ɛ ʌ ɔ/ <e ö o>
/æ~a ɑ ɒ / <æ ä a>

Syllable structure
(C)V1(V2)

There are two tones but only high is marked with an apostrophe preceding the vowel. V1=V2 (i.e. in quality) if and only if each vowel's tone is different. Every syllable has an implicit tone. Stress falls on the first syllable of a phrase, and every utterance begins on high tone. Individual words may have a weak initial stress within a phrase, besides, but this is not always present. Utterances' vowel endings are delimited by a glottal stop, and so too are words beginning with vowels preceded by a glottal stop to prevent hiatus. Within syllables any two vowels may come together, so long as the back vowel specifications are not violated. That is, within a syllable and across adjacent syllables, back vowels must share rounding specifications; this is "reset" with the occurrence of front vowels.

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

Look mom, I can into glottalization now!

/m n
<m n>

/p pʰ pˤ b t tʰ tˤ d k kʰ kˤ g q qˤ/
<p ph p' b t th t' d k kh k' q q'>

/s/
<s>

/l lˤ ɺ ɺˤ/
<l l' r r'>

/a i u/
<a i u>

Lang is <C><C,l,r>V<C>

The only acceptable CC clusters are <pt pht tk thk ps phs ts ths ks khs bd dg>

A Cl or Cr cluster will always be written <Cl' Cr'>. Therefore /pˤlas/ will be written <pl'as>, not <*p'las>

Vowels can be short or long. Long vowels are written doubled. A syllable containing a long cannot have coda.

///////

As you can see I just discovered the wonders of glottalization and pharyngealization and therefore am obligated, like all conlangers who discover Cool Feature X, to make a lang featuring far too much Cool Feature X.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Sōlāren (from a conworld). Internal history (will explain a lot): this language has existed for longer than anyone knows. Goodness knows why they did this to their own language.

Plosives: /p t k b d g/
Fricatives: /f þ s š x v ð z ž ɣ/
Approximants: /r l/
Nasals: /m n ŋ/
Unvoiced plosives and fricatives, and also nasals, may also be phonemicly aspirated, labialised or palatalised.

High vowels: /i y u/ (Note: /y/ is the high central vowel. Roundedness is allophonic)
Mid vowels: /e o/
Low vowel: /a/
All vowels may be short, long, or 'overlong' (longer than long)

Diphthongs: every combination of non-high vowel plus high vowel. Can also be long.

Total number of phonemes: 88 (if I counted correctly)

Syllable structure: (C)(C)V(A(N))
CC clusters are allowed at the start of a word only, and iff the first element is a plosive. If the second element is also a plosive, then the first must not be 'plain'. If the second is a fricative, then it must be of the same articulation as the plosive. Note: /þ/, /s/ and /š/ all correspond to /t/. Same goes for the voiced equivalents. Syllable-final clusters are only allowed if there is no vowel immediately following, else the consonants must be pronounced as separate syllables.