The rarity of modern-day conworlds confuses me.

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The rarity of modern-day conworlds confuses me.

Post by Hallow XIII »

Also modernity has the problem that it places humans/humanoids in an unacceptable position of strength. I like conworlds in which humans yet have to fear things other than themselves.
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

Eh, I prefer human-only conworlds myself. Different strokes for different folks.
Nūdhrēmnāva naraśva, dṛk śraṣrāsit nūdhrēmanīṣṣ iźdatīyyīm woḥīm madhēyyaṣṣi.
satisfaction-DEF.SG-LOC live.PERFECTIVE-1P.INCL but work-DEF.SG-PRIV satisfaction-DEF.PL.NOM weakeness-DEF.PL-DAT only lead-FUT-3P

Valkura
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Valkura »

Chagen wrote:Eh, I prefer human-only conworlds myself. Different strokes for different folks.
I'm tired of human-only conworlds. I'd enjoy much more alien-only conworlds, where the aliens aren't just humans with a different name a second pair of arms.
Yeah.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Its exceedingly difficult to pull, tho... I've tried and failed a few times.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Torque wrote:Its exceedingly difficult to pull, tho... I've tried and failed a few times.
I still say your gas-giant one is incredibly awesome and I tip my hat to you for taking on such a mammoth task and producing something as good as you did.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

Well thank you, man. :)
I've tried to make another stab at it but haven't yet found the inspiration. someday, though, I'll be developing the small flying parasitic gliders that are gonna be the replacement for humans, but I'd need to work on more ecology, and that'd require me to learn a WHOLE bunch of shit. Plus, I'm trying really hard to get my head around technology in a world of nothing but air.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

I think such technology would have to be strictly organic in nature. After all, there's nothing else.

prettydragoon
Sanci
Sanci

Post by prettydragoon »

Torque wrote:I've tried to make another stab at it but haven't yet found the inspiration. someday, though, I'll be developing the small flying parasitic gliders that are gonna be the replacement for humans, but I'd need to work on more ecology, and that'd require me to learn a WHOLE bunch of shit. Plus, I'm trying really hard to get my head around technology in a world of nothing but air.
That sounds like an awesome challenge. When the politicians of that people promise pie in the sky, they actually can deliver.

Shinali Sishi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Shinali Sishi »

Well, my humans in my conworld have slightly more advanced than ours technology (that is to say, they had awesome future tech and lost most of it to time and limited resources). The other, indigenous, cultures were mostly lower tech than the humans, though some individuals have eagerly adopted high-tech gadgets and others are either suspicious or not interested. The result is that most of my conlangs are for cultures who may well carry a stone knife on one hip and a smartphone on the other.

With this arrangement, I have learned that imagining future tech is hard. I would rather spend that time conworlding, conlanging, and writing about my conworld and its inhabitants.
Vanafanyu
Kegewa nita li alana!

Torco
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Torco »

KathAveara wrote:I think such technology would have to be strictly organic in nature. After all, there's nothing else.
Sure, but organic technology isn't biotech: we work wood as if it were for all intents and purposes inorganic. these dudes would have horn, shell, bone, tooth, wood and other such materials to work. Not stone, naturally... they wouldn't have a lot of metals available, I guess.
prettydragoon wrote:
Torque wrote:I've tried to make another stab at it but haven't yet found the inspiration. someday, though, I'll be developing the small flying parasitic gliders that are gonna be the replacement for humans, but I'd need to work on more ecology, and that'd require me to learn a WHOLE bunch of shit. Plus, I'm trying really hard to get my head around technology in a world of nothing but air.
That sounds like an awesome challenge. When the politicians of that people promise pie in the sky, they actually can deliver.
They would probably promise pie in the ground, a wonderful realm where its literally impossible to fall and be crushed by pressure, it never rains upwards, and there's water and dirt as far as the eye can see.