Choose your borders.

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
cunningham
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Choose your borders.

Post by cunningham »

Fixed it again.
Attachments
newconworld.png
newconworld.png (112.16 KiB) Viewed 4822 times

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

Fixed it more, because you forgot to colour in some islands. Otherwise, I added the nation of Angak, and the Kfusei Disputed Territory, consisting of the Angakese provinces of Kfusei and Ngekt. Kfusei and Ngekt have a slight Gzheul religious majority that demand accession into the GDWU, which of course is happy to do so... But the slight non-Gzheul minority doesn't want to, and is backed up by the Angakese government. The GDWU first sent the usual contingent of missionaries, but then the Angakese started bringing out the military and even attacked Gzheul missionaries, so the GDWU was forced to bring its military to bear as well. The Angakese government has five Sections: Internal Social, External Social, Internal Commercial, External Commercial, and Military. The Internal Social Section has declared all Gzheul Angakese citizens to be traitors. Military has begun to treat all such people accordingly. External Social pretty much collectively facepalmed at this, fearing the international repercussions. Internal Commercial doesn't want to lose its interests in the area to the GDWU, but is also hard-pressed to make proper use of them during wartime, and is thus flip-flopping on the issue. External Commercial is off buying guns for Military.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

For some stupid reason Paint wouldn't let me type a name. "The Goink" is what I've managed to scribble.

The Goink is an federation of ferocious Gnome tribes, fighting each other most of the time. Few would think about entering the Goink, let alone invading them, for fear of having a gnome crawling up their trouser leg. The nature of the federation is complicated, and clan and tribal borders are continuously changing. It's not so much a federation as an infestation of the area that has maintained an internal social and ecological balance for a few hundred years, and has held its own against outside forces. Gnomes are reluctant the leave The Goink because it's the only place doobry turnips (their staple diet) will grow. Turnips of any other type from anywhere else in the world just taste like cardboard. Doobry turnips taste like mud. Much nicer.

There are a few stone trolls that live alongside the gnomes, but since their private parts are made of stone the gnomes pose no danger.
Attachments
TvB00nn.png
TvB00nn.png (141.82 KiB) Viewed 4789 times
It was about time I changed this.

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

Linguifex wrote:influence reached their maximum extent about a century ago; ever since they have been in decline, with the neighboring Kingdom of Gaznia a frequent belligerent.
Heh, is that a reference to that little bit of Gaznia that sticks up long the eastern coast?

Matrix
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Matrix »

Uh, bofosh, you put the Goink in the water.

Adúljôžal ônal kol ví éža únah kex yaxlr gmlĥ hôga jô ônal kru ansu frú.
Ansu frú ônal savel zaš gmlĥ a vek Adúljôžal vé jaga čaþ kex.
Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh. Ônal zeh.

cunningham
Lebom
Lebom

Post by cunningham »

I put The Boink on an island since ol bofosh couldn't tell the difference between water and land.
Attachments
newconworld.png
newconworld.png (116.74 KiB) Viewed 4760 times

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

Doh! I've been looking at the map the wrong way round. It was confusing seeing people talk about "islands" and I was thinking "what islands? Everyone's putting them on the same continent..." :roll:

Well, thanks for the island, that should serve the gnome infesta... ahem, federation quite well.

I blame the gnomes for my mistake, they're a bunch of trouble makers.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Heh, you had the same misunderstanding as me.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

You got gnomes too, have you? My commiserations...

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

No, I mean that I mistook what was land and what was sea. I also put my own country in the same area you did, incidentally, not realizing that it was water.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

I know, but it's easier to blame the gnomes. :wink:

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

SAND GNOMES
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

I'd kind of hate to see this go dead, so I hope it isn't improper of me to submit yet another addition…

Dvūzgbǝyn̈ [ˈdvʉːzgbəjɴ] is a confederation to the east of the Valm Empire; its westernmost reaches are seceded provinces of the Valm Empire (hence the straight-line border). The capital, Żridec Ws [ˈʐʀidɛk ˈus], is located in one of the easternmost provinces but is considered a principality unto itself. Since its founding the territory has generally expanded eastward, with most of the insular possessions coming in recent periods.
Chibi wrote:
Linguifex wrote:influence reached their maximum extent about a century ago; ever since they have been in decline, with the neighboring Kingdom of Gaznia a frequent belligerent.
Heh, is that a reference to that little bit of Gaznia that sticks up long the eastern coast?
Not at the time, but why not make that canon? Thanks for the idea!
Last edited by Pogostick Man on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Click
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Click »

Linguifex wrote:I'd kind of hate to see this go dead, so I hope it isn't improper of me to submit yet another addition…

Why did you make the map smaller?

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Click wrote:Why did you make the map smaller?
It's Photobucket what did it. I'd use imgur but imgur seems to convert the images I upload to JPGs.
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Click
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Click »

Linguifex wrote:
Click wrote:Why did you make the map smaller?
It's Photobucket what did it. I'd use imgur but imgur seems to convert the images I upload to JPGs.
Use Imageshack then. You'll need to select "Do not resize image", though.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ol bofosh »

Here we go, I've edited a big map with Dvūzgbǝyn, and I've added the Fuzzy Federation, consisting of the Baldy Sea Empire, Hair Republic, Fuzz Tribes, Fur Forest Cults, Feathers Counties, Fluff Constitutional Monarchy and Quills Martial Law. Each one is dedicated to the art of creating the comfiest pillows and cushions. Their federation is based on the competition and cooperation of their common cause. The Baldy Sea Empire is at a slight disadvantage, but not as bad as Quills. I'll never be able to sleep on my left ear again...

The Fur Forest Cults have been able to keep The Goink gnomes from entering the Federation by providing enchanted weasel hair pillows, so far...
Attachments
newconworld.png
newconworld.png (122.06 KiB) Viewed 4647 times

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Many thanks, ol bofosh, for your map.

I tried adding a new map (with one minor correction; the <n> had an umlaut but that was easy enough to add)—there is a claim, Ftanga Iri Ngosu, on the island between Angak and Thebekoxa (with which it has a disputed territory); I left the southern part unclaimed. However Imagebucket is saying it's undergoing technical difficulties. God willing, when they are resolved I shall post the map.

Ftanga Iri Ngosu is somewhat of a dictatorship with a relatively low population and a strict caste system but a strong economy thanks to the climate permitting certain crops to grow there. A secondary source of income is from mining, especially copper. The disputed region also hosts a third party calling for secession from both competing powers, a movement that is gaining steam in recent days.

I also like how the GDWU has an outlying claim completely far away from the rest of it. It's like the USSR (or Russia) and the Kalaningrad Oblast.
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

cunningham
Lebom
Lebom

Post by cunningham »

thank you Linguifex for keeping this alive :]
and I think you can just post the picture as an attachment. I still do it and I have never gotten a message about an image quota or anything.
good work, very creative!

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Every time I attempt to upload to ImageShack it gives me an Upload failed, try again later. Any other suggestions?
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

Try imgur.com You don't even need an account to upload pics. That's where I uploaded mine from a few posts back.

edit: And also a question for the OP: is this map a map of the whole conworld, or just one section of it? So if I was to create a country near the southeastern edge of the map, it would then circle back around to the southwestern edge of the map, or no? It seems like it should be the whole world, but the landmasses in the bottom left area don't make sense to be all the way down near the south pole of the world.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Chibi wrote:Try imgur.com You don't even need an account to upload pics. That's where I uploaded mine from a few posts back.
I've used it too, but imgur seems to turn everything to JPGs. We need PNGs.
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Linguifex wrote:
Chibi wrote:Try imgur.com You don't even need an account to upload pics. That's where I uploaded mine from a few posts back.
I've never had any problems with that...
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

treskro
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by treskro »

Linguifex wrote:
imgur handles PNGs fine. Are you sure you're saving your file correctly?
axhiuk.

看蝦米

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

treskro wrote:imgur handles PNGs fine. Are you sure you're saving your file correctly?
Positive.

Trying a direct upload again…
Attachments
newconworldx22.png
newconworldx22.png (126.28 KiB) Viewed 4561 times
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO