Wierdest and Most Alien Conlang

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
TehranHamburger
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Wierdest and Most Alien Conlang

Post by TehranHamburger »

I once had a grammar of a conlang which lacked the capacity to establish identity. The conlang was entirely mereologically nihilistic. It did not in any way shape or form allowed someone to actually identify any object which included classes as object. You couldn't say 'the cat' or 'a cat' because even the latter actually means 'a member of THE species cat'.

The entire grammar basically worked by establishing relationships between properties and saying what you effectively meant. For instance. If you in English say 'there is a cat there', the translation completely depends on what you actually wished to communicate and for what reason. If you for instance say this to someone whom you know likes cats because that person likes cute fluffy animals.' you would more or less say 'something that is cute is there', as in you establish a relationship between cuteness and location. The point of this being that effectively in this context it isn't relevant what exactly the cute fluffly animal that is there is for species. Because you know the listener likes any cute fluffy animal and thus will be pointed interested in that direction.

Or if you say 'I am going to the store', it again depends on the motivation behind the communication is, if you're saying it to communicate that you will be away for a while as the parent of your child you will be saying 'care is gone for a while' as the intend of the communication is that the child cannot rely on care for a while, the actual location you're going isn't really relevant. If you wish to communicate you are going to buy food you simply say 'eatable will be here soon' in the case the type of food doesn't really matter. Every time you identify a relationship between objects which possess certain properties it applies to every single one of those objects, or at least one of them.

LinguistCat
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by LinguistCat »

DePaw wrote:Insect trolls they were called if my memory is correct.
It was based on the trolls from Homestuck with some interesting vocal track headcanons, but yeah, basically.
The stars are an ocean. Your breasts, are also an ocean.

rr
Lebom
Lebom

Post by rr »

If we're still talking about an alien conlang, lets make a declension system based on taste (if you can decline conjunctions).

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

It's an alien language, so of course you can decline interjections!

rr
Lebom
Lebom

Post by rr »

Words could have multiple meanings depending on how fast you say it. I'm just making up a word here, but /ʙᴙ/ could have 3 different meanings: Fast, Medium, Slow pronunciation.

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

Can we increase that number to seven?

rr
Lebom
Lebom

Post by rr »

You can increase the number to infinity for all I care. While we're at it, let's decline the conjunctions in two thousand ways and maybe create our own tones.

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

Tones have already been mentioned. Let's decline them for how long time ago the speaker ate a stone lastly.

rr
Lebom
Lebom

Post by rr »

I could make a spreadsheet of the declensions.

Conjunctions could decline based on:
How old the speaker is.
How old the listener is.
Since this is an alien conlang, let's give them seven genders and decline according to the gender of both the speaker and the listener.
How many times the speaker has broken a bone.
The speaker's favorite species of bacteria.
Whether the speaker is sexually attracted to the listener.
Whether the listener is sexually attracted to the speaker.
Why the speaker is speaking.
The speaker's favorite type of rock.
Dē Graut Bʉr wrote:How long ago the speaker ate a stone lastly.

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

I totally agree with that. Let's also decline them for the color(s) of the speaker's eyes.

rr
Lebom
Lebom

Post by rr »

Here's another list of declensions:
The genetic code of the speaker and the listener. (These aliens need only to look into one's eyes to know his/her/3rd gender's/4th gender's/5th gender's/6th gender's/7th gender's genetic code)
What other languages the speaker knows.
How many times the speaker has been arrested.
What the speaker perceives as the meaning of life.
The speaker's favorite number.
The speaker's favorite echinoderm.

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

Whether the speaker considers his/her/blahblah handwriting beautiful or ugly.
The number of shoes the speaker possesses.
The first sound of the speakers' girlfriend's/boyfriend's/whatever's name.

rr
Lebom
Lebom

Post by rr »

A conlang could be able to go by this, if we had verbs, adjectives and nouns. I know this is supposed to be an alien conlang, but we could make a conlang separate from this one in the sense that there are the normal parts of speech found in most languages and a phonology that humans can pronounce easily, with a little bit of practice of course. We can keep the same declensions, although gender-specific declensions would have to be simplified to two or four genders.

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

If we've got seven genders, why not have alternation of generations too? Then we get to add more conjunctions based on whether the speaker is sexual or parthogenetic.

Some more declensions:
The speaker's allergies.
The speaker's favourite music.
The listener's position on the Dunning-Kruger scale.

Pressed Bunson
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pressed Bunson »

• Whether or not the speaker initiated the conversation
  • How good the listener smells
  • How hungry the speaker is
  • Whether or not the speaker has his towel
I will be very scared if somebody actually makes this, especially if it's fusional.
Mornche Geddick wrote:alternation of generations

Sacemd
Lebom
Lebom
Location: The Netherworld. Or the Netherlands. Or whatever. Somewhere belowground.

Post by Sacemd »

Alternation of generations basically means it either reproduces sexually or asexually, depending on the way it was conceived.

Ps. Gumi is my favorite (especially the V2 version. And she's my favorite Engloid since her English version came out too.)
Pps. Most of you won't understand the postscriptum. (Feels really hipster now)
Ppps. Just forget about it. Back to the topic.
Sacemd wrote:I'm merely starting this thread so I can have a funny quote in my signature.

rr
Lebom
Lebom

Post by rr »

Pressed Bunson wrote:I will be very scared if somebody actually makes this, especially if it's fusional.
I doubt a language can get by using just conjunctions. What would scare me is if a conlang with only conjunctions was created.

Pressed Bunson
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pressed Bunson »

Tarannar wrote:
Pressed Bunson wrote:I will be very scared if somebody actually makes this, especially if it's fusional.
I doubt a language can get by using just conjunctions. What would scare me is if a conlang with only conjunctions was created.
Where was is stated that our hypothetical language would only use conjunctions?
Sacemd wrote:Alternation of generations basically means it either reproduces sexually or asexually, depending on the way it was conceived.

Ps. Gumi is my favorite (especially the V2 version. And she's my favorite Engloid since her English version came out too.)
Pps. Most of you won't understand the postscriptum. (Feels really hipster now)
Ppps. Just forget about it. Back to the topic.
Oh OK.

PS. I think Gumi, Len, and VY2 are tied as my favorites, not sure. And Gumi is my favorite Engloid.
PPS. I understood it and I am happy now! :-D
PPPS. LOL, I think our postscriptums (insert proper Latin plural here) are longer than their respective posts.

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

Pressed Bunson wrote:
Tarannar wrote:
Where was is stated that our hypothetical language would only use conjunctions?
Originally the language only had interjections, but then Tarannar changed it to conjunctions for an unknown reason.
Pressed Bunson wrote: PS. I think Gumi, Len, and VY2 are tied as my favorites, not sure. And Gumi is my favorite Engloid.
PPS. I understood it and I am happy now! :-D
PPPS. LOL, I think our postscriptums (insert proper Latin plural here) are longer than their respective posts.
The proper Latin plural would be postscripta, I guess.

Sacemd
Lebom
Lebom
Location: The Netherworld. Or the Netherlands. Or whatever. Somewhere belowground.

Post by Sacemd »

Why not conjunctions and interjections?
Sacemd wrote:I'm merely starting this thread so I can have a funny quote in my signature.

Pressed Bunson
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pressed Bunson »

Sacemd wrote:Why not conjunctions and interjections?
Hmm... I like this plan.

Or, rather:

Hmm. Cool And Neat!
(^don't have the energy to use allcaps for the gloss)

...Yeah, this is pretty much the most ridiculous thing ever.

rr
Lebom
Lebom

Post by rr »

Dē Graut Bʉr wrote:Originally the language only had interjections, but then Tarannar changed it to conjunctions for an unknown reason.
I forgot that it was interjections. :P
Pressed Bunson wrote:...Yeah, this is pretty much the most ridiculous thing ever.
There have been worse topics...

Pressed Bunson
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Pressed Bunson »

Tarannar wrote:
Pressed Bunson wrote:...Yeah, this is pretty much the most ridiculous thing ever.
There have been worse topics...
Well, there's the good kind of ridiculous (e.g. old school Doctor Who FX) and the bad kind of ridiculous (e.g. countless MST3K'ed movies). I'd say this topic is nestled neatly in between, leaning more towards the former.