Hengese

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Shemtov
Lebom
Lebom

Hengese

Post by Shemtov »

The Kingdom of Heng is in the southern portion of what is in the real world the Thai Malaysian peninsula.
The language itself was considered to be an Isolate, however in the past ten years it has become accepted that it is decended from a sister language of proto-austroasiatic, Thus forming the Hengo-Austroasiatic phylum. It also had influence from the Tai and Austronesian families. Under influence from The SE Asian Sprachbund, it underwent tonogenesis.

Phonology:
m n ɲ ŋ <m n nh ng>
p b t d k g <p b t d k g>
ɸ s ɕ x h <f s sh kh h>
tɕ <ch>
r <r>
β̞ ɻ j w <v r y w>
l <l>

Vowels:
i ɯ ə ɛ ɔ a <i u ea e o a>

Diphtongs:
ai <ai>
Tones (using [a] to represent the orthog):
˥ ˧ ˩ ˧˩ ˧˥ ˥˧˦ ˩˧˨ <ä a ā à á ǎ â>

Phonotactics:
(C)(C)V(C)
The second consonant can only be [r j w l]
The final-permitted consonants are [m n ŋ p t k ɻ j w]
[ɻ] can ONLY occur as a final- perhaps I'll make it the word final allophone of [r].

Allophony:
/ɯ/ is rounded after labials.
the clusters /br pr ɸr β̞r/ may be realized by speakers in the northwest islands as [ʙ ʙ̥ ⱱ̟̥ ⱱ̟]. This has become popular with younger speakers throughout the north.

Example words:
èt- one
lya-Supreme G-d
püt- angel
nóm-food
ngang- eye
nhá -cat
krāi- king
chwûk-intoxicating beverage

Cardinal Numbers 1-10 (so don't message me, Janco):
èt

möm
pyûng
ryom
ryěw
pít

chyung
lëak

The writing system is an abugida. The letter forms are taken from both the Thai script and the Old Malay Jawi script.
Here are the consonants, each with an inherent schwa and mid tone, with their sounds and names:

The vowel signs are written underneath the consonants. Here they are, under the void consonant:

The tone signs are written above the consonants. Here they are with the void consonant and the vowel <a>:
Here is an example:

It says:
"Sâr Büt krāi nhéa"
Sâr Büt king great
"The Great King Sâr Büt"
He was the one who commissioned the script.

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Hengese

Post by Hallow XIII »

you now have two threads in which you give phonologies

do you not think that the phonology thread, or, if you must have your own, a single thread in C&CQ would suffice for this
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Shemtov
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Shemtov »

Inversion wrote:you now have two threads in which you give phonologies

do you not think that the phonology thread, or, if you must have your own, a single thread in C&CQ would suffice for this
For both K'apfatweyatl and Hengese, I gave more then phonologies. for the former I gave grammar, and for Hengese I gave the script.
I simply reposted the phonologies for the ease of people reading the threads.
Is it normal on this forum that if your working on multiple conlangs to make one thread for them all? If it is, then I am sorry I didn't know.

Herr Dunkel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Herr Dunkel »

No, the practice is to make threads on a non-pruning subforum when you plan on doing some more serious work.
sano wrote:
To my dearest Darkgamma,
http://www.dazzlejunction.com/greetings/thanks/thank-you-bear.gif
Sincerely,
sano

Shemtov
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Shemtov »

Herr Dunkel wrote:No, the practice is to make threads on a non-pruning subforum when you plan on doing some more serious work.
I posted a lot of serious grammer in the k'apfatweyatl thread........and I am doing serious wok on hengese.
EDIT: But now that I posted this here, would it be against practice to post a thread in CCQ about my conscript asking for constructive criticism? If not, what can I do to rectify this and have it in CCQ?
Last edited by Shemtov on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

Well, it's been a fad recently to do this but in general one conlang per thread is a good rate.

Anyway, what I was veiling a bad orthography and roughness is that if you're going to give so little it is probably better if you do a thread in C&CQ rather than have a dedicated thread in C&C. This forum is really meant for longer discussions to keep around for at least a few months, and for presenting big works or projects on which you expect to work a long time. And since it seems like you're just starting out, the likelihood of this is rather low (not to mention the fact that you're not really going to get feedback here unless you put up something substantial - and interesting, because most of the people who have valuable things to say tend not to comment on the works of new people.

A scratchpad thread in C&CQ is probably best, because not only are you not wasting forum space but also people are more accustomed to sandboxing there and hence willing to give feedback also on small amounts of stuff - and should your conlang develop into something cool that people feel is worth keeping around for longer I find that Radius is generally amenable to moving such threads.

EDIT in response to Herr Dunkel's post: While Herr Dunkel is being quite impolite the point is that it is not a lot; a few affixes barely scratch the surface of what a complete grammar would be. There is a reason grammars of natural languages stretch into the hundreds of pages. I heartily recommend that you read more about morphosyntax, and possibly study a few reference grammars, before you make full threads in C&C.

EDIT 2: No, it is not against practice.
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice