Collaborative conworlding with Microscope RPG?

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Gojera
Lebom
Lebom

Collaborative conworlding with Microscope RPG?

Post by Gojera »

Back around Gencon, I happened upon some information about the Microscope RPG (review) and its spinoff Kickstarter project, Kingdom, which seem like tools for collaborative conworlding. Has anyone else heard about these or tried them?

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Collaborative conworlding with Microscope RPG?

Post by CatDoom »

I downloaded a copy of Microscope a little while ago, and it seems like it could be pretty interesting if you got a good group of people together. I'm not looking at the rules right now (I've got them on a different computer), but as far as I can recall there's nothing about the rules that would make them unsutable for use in a forum-based game.

Incidentally, in playing Microscope you don't build a world, per-se, but rather a history. It's a fine distinction, but at the beginning you have to agree on a certain number of assumptions about the setting, and if you're more interested in things like the geology and evolutionary biology of a world rathter than the social and political history of sentient beings, Microscope isn't really the system to use.