Post your conlang's phonology

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Post your conlang's phonology

Post by Izambri »

Tassaleu

Evolution of the vocalic system
Ā / Ă → ‹à a› /a/
AU is preserved, ‹au› /aw/ tonic and atonic
Ē → [e] → ‹é e› /ə/
Ĕ → ‹è e› /ɛ/; but followed by a yod, ‹í i› /i/
Ī / EI → ‹í i› /i/
Ĭ / OI → [e] → ‹é e› /ə/
Ō → [o] → ‹ó o› /u/
Ŏ → ‹ò o› /ɔ/
Ū / OU → ‹ú u› /y/
Ŭ → [o] → ‹ó o› /u/

Evolution of the consonantic system
1. All oclusives in initial position are preserved. T, K, D and D are preserved if not affected by a yod.
2. Plosive+lateral groups are preserved, but the lateral becomes an alveolar tap. PL, KL, FL... → ‹pr, cr, fr...› /pɾ kɾ fɾ/.
3. Intervocalic P, T, K are preserved, but voiced: ‹b, d, g› /b d g/.

4. N–, –N–, L–, –L– are preserved if not affected by a yod. L becomes /ɫ/ in any position.
5. Initial AMBR, ANDR are preserved without the ‹a›. pronounciation varies from /m̩bɾ n̩dɾ/ to /bɾ dɾ/.
6. In some dialects intervocalic ‹l› is realized /ɾ/.
7. Initial R, a trill, is reinforced with ‹a› prothesis: REBULE→ ‹arrebre›.
8. At the end of word only L, M, R, S are preserved.
9. R preceded by a diphtong and become final is preserved: MAURU → ‹maur› /mawɾ/.
10. Initial SP, ST, SK are preserved with ‹i› prothesis, although the vowel is pronounced in a few dialects only, varying from /ɪ/ to /i/. In the dialects where ‹i› is mute the ‹s› is pronounced postalveolar, with a slight palatalization: SKEREischere› /isˈkɛɾə/ - /ˈʃkɛɾə/.

11. Intervocalic P, T K are voiced.
12. Intervocalic S is voiced: ‹s› /z/.
13. QU, GU suffered various changes, becoming ‹b› or ‹br› at the beginning of word and ‹rb› /ɾb/ between vowels: AQUETAS → ‹arbeu›; GUEDARE → ‹berre›.
14. Initial U followed by a vowel evolves in two directions: UA, UO, UU become ‹ba, bo, bu› /b/, and UE, UI become ‹ve, vi› /β/.

15. PS, TS, KS, BS, DS, GS gave affricated and fricative sounds. Initial PS, TS, KS (or X) become ‹ts› /ts/, while BS, DS, GS become ‹tz› /dz/. Between vowels PS becomes ‹ss› /s/, while TS, KS, BS, DS, GS become ‹tz› /dz/.
16. Intervocalic F is voiced: ‹ghife› /ˈgivə/.

17. Degemination of intervocalic plosives (PP, TT, KK) is a characteristic trait of Tassalean only shared with Hellesan and Azaret. In all cases the simplified consonants retain their unvoiced character: NAKKUDAS → ‹nacús›.

18. LL becomes ‹dd› /ɖ:/. So did LN, LD, which took the same direction.
19. Intervocalic GR tends towards ‹rr› /r/.

20. In many cases B, D, V, Z become final are labialized into ‹u› /w/.
21. B, U preceded by a vowel and followed by a plosive become ‹u› /w/.

22. Palatalization affected alveolars (N, T, D, S, Z, L, except R) and velars (K, G). In most of the cases it was due to a nearby yod, but Tassalean is unique in that it developed pure palatal sounds for ‹c g› where Hellesan and the other Megadelanic languages have /k g/.
23. The yod becomes a pure palatal, realized /ʝ/ between vowels and /ɟ/ at the beginning and end of word. In Campescan tends to be less palatal, generally /ʑ/ between vowels and affricated elsewhere. In all cases the letter is ‹j›, except word finally, where it's ‹ig›.
24. DYOD and GYOD evolved like a regular yod.
25. TYOD and KYOD gave /ts/ in Old Tassalean, which became /s/, represented ‹ç› before ‹a o u› and ‹c› before ‹e i›.
26. SYOD, SCYOD, SSYOD, STYOD and YODS(S) become ‹sy› /ɕ/ initially and ‹ys› /jɕ/ - /js/ word finally.
27. ZYOD becomes ‹zh› /ʑ/. In some cases intervocalic SYOD get voiced, thus becoming ‹zh› /ʑ/ too.
28. NDSIU becomes ‹nzhu› /ɲʑu/.

29. In Archaic Tassalean, as it happened in Archaic Hellesan too, initial L was pronounced long and strong, legacy of the peculiar pronounciation of that consonant in Early Middle Peran. That produced a velarized L in Old Tassalean, still preserved anywhere the original lateral wasn't palatalized.
30. Thus palatalizaion of laterals only took place where a yod was found. So LYOD and LLYOD become ‹ly; yl› /ʎ/, with some dialects retaining old /jʎ/ - /jl/ between vowels and word finally.
31. The Agremontan dialect, though, developed a singular ‹ldz› /ɫdʑ/ - /ɫdz/ - /dz/.
32. RYOD becomes ‹rdz› /ɾdʑ/ - /ɾdz/ - /dz/.

33. GN, MNYOD, NYOD, NDYOD, NNYOD, NGYOD become ‹ny; yn› /ɲ/. Western dialects tend to /jɲ/ - /jn/.

34. By Hellesan influence, C'L, G'L, T'L arisen from a previous syncope developed a YODL that underwent the same evolution as LYOD.
35. When T'K, result of a syncope, is affected by a yod, can develop /dʑ/, represented by ‹tg, tj›.
36. KT become final gives ‹it› /jt/.
37. Intervocalic KT, GD developed a YODD that palatalized to /jd/ in Old Tassalean, which evolved in parallel to DYOD, giving ‹zh› /ʝ/ in all dialects except Campescan, which has /ʑ/.
38. KSYOD, XYOD become ‹sy; ys›.

39. Tassalean is unique in that it developed a palatal realization for K, G where the other Megadelanic languages retained a strong, velar, pronounciation. Nowadays this trait is only present in the Agremontan dialects, and constitutes the main isogloss between the Western and Eastern dialectal blocs. The phonemes in question are /c/ and /ɟ/.
40. ‹c› is /c/ before ‹a e i› in a non-approximant position and word finally. The same sound occurs for ‹g› word finally, since it's pronounced unvoiced.
41. ‹g› is /ɟ/ before ‹a e i› in a non-approximant position.

42. All double consonants were simplified (MM, PP, TT, SS...) except LL, as explained above.
43. MB, ND become, respectively, ‹m› and ‹n›.
44. MN becomes ‹m›, with a tendency to ‹n› if surrounded by front vowels, close and close-mid.
45. GR becomes ‹rr› /r/.
46. NS becomes ‹ss› /s/.
47. PT–, –PT– and, in some cases, if not affected by a yod, KT–, –KT– become ‹t› /t/.
48. LKM, RKM, NKT, RKT become, respectively, ‹lm, rm, nt, rt›.

49. TM, TN are preserved, but geminated as ‹tm› /m:/ and ‹tn› /n:/, respectively.
50. Intervocalic plosive+lateral (PL, KL, GL...) are voiced and geminated, although in some dialects the plosive is realized simple: RAPALASRAP'LA → ‹rabre› /ˈrab:ɾə/ - /ˈrabɾə/.
51. In syntactic phonetics, initial plosives and nasals are geminated if followed by a vowel. ‹se berre› /səbˈbɛrə/.
52. This is also applied to palatal plosives. ‹is jur› /iɟˈɟuɾ/.

53. H is preserved, but becomes mute.
54. Intervocalic B, D, G fall from the word. LABIRI → ‹lari› /ˈɫaɾi/.
55. Intervocalic D can give ‹r› /ɾ/.
56. But before ‹e i› can become ‹z› /z/.
57. N become final fall from the word, but it's retained to form femenines and plurals, like Hellesan.

58. M'L, M'R and N'R become, respectively, ‹mbr› and ‹ndr›.
59. Tassalean is rich in metahesis that force the joining of liquid and sibilant consonants to digraphs, thus producing trigraphs like ‹mbr›, ‹ndr›, ‹ntz› and ‹rdz›, among others.

60. An euphonic ‹z- /z/ is placed before words beginning in a vowel. ‹z-anurràs›. The words involved are nouns, adjectives, pronouns, adverbs and inflected verbs heading a sentence.
Last edited by Izambri on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

R.Rusanov
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by R.Rusanov »

This evolved from Latin?
Slava, čĭstŭ, hrabrostĭ!

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

R.Rusanov wrote:This evolved from Latin?
No, it's a priori. But it's part of a set of conlangs for my conworld whose phonologies are mainly inspired by Romance languages.

Melteor
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Melteor »

Copied from my thread. Sort of. Added diphthongs and triphthongs. The language keeps getting more spartan. I'm nailing the cardinal vowels pretty well so I know the allophony should happen but it's not really. Pitch description is different too now.

Tailevu has several modes of communication, including a distinctive whistling form. There are 9 consonants and 4 vowels, and null onsets, and 2-vowel, even 3-vowel, sequences are permitted in limited contexts, e.g. not after /vu mu/. Intermedially a nasal is permitted before another consonant. The majority of words are longer than 3 syllables (counting 2-vowel sequences as two, etc.) The velar nasal is a very marginal phoneme.

t tS<c> k m n (N) l j<y> v
[a~ɑ~ɒ~ɔ~ɐ]<a> [ɛ~e]<e> [i~ɪ~ɨ]<i> [ʉ~u~o]<u>
ia ie iu ai ei ui iai iei iui ua ue ui au uau

A few consonants have some allophony. /t/ varies between a stop and a fricative /s/, and /k/ varies with labial /p/. The rest do not have significant variation.

Stress is initial, except for unstressed adpositions and particles, and involves both lengthening and volume in the whistled language and, in the spoken language, a prominent pitch peak as well. A rising pitch movement leading to the peak may occur variably late in the first syllable in the spoken mode, and the peak may be displaced to the onset of the second syllable so that the first syllable appears relatively low and rising and the second high and descending, but in all cases the first syllable will still be spoken (and whistled) with greater volume than the second. Subsequent syllables are pronounced with descending pitch and volume, falling towards a baseline. Initial pitch peaks decrease in overall volume from the beginning of the utterance.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

What's the environment for the [p] allophone of /k/? How is the velar nasal marginal?
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Benturi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Benturi »

Nortaneous wrote:reduced labial series are way overdone in conlangs imo
Oh well...

Please tell me if you spot anything odd here:

Consonants
n
t̪ d̪ t͡s d͡z k ɡ q
s h
l j w
r

Palatalization of dentals, alveolars, velars and /h/ before /i iː j/: /t̪ d̪ n t͡s d͡z l r k ɡ/ are realized as [tʲ dʲ nʲ t͡sʲ d͡zʲ sʲ lʲ rʲ kʲ gʲ]; /h/ is realized as [xʲ]
/q/ is realized as [ʔ] in environments V_# and V_C
/h/ is realized as [χ] in environments C_V, V_# and V_C (but [x] before /k/)
Voicing of obstruent before voiced obstruents, devoicing of obstruent before voiceless obstruents.

Vowels
Short vowels and their three basic allophones in this order: stressed in closed syllable, stressed in open syllable, unstressed:
/a/ [a] [ɑ] [a] (/ˈt̪ak ˈt̪aka/ [ˈt̪ak ˈt̪ɑka])
/e/ [ɛ] [e] [e] (/ˈt̪ek ˈt̪eke/ [ˈt̪ɛk ˈt̪eke])
/i/ [ɪ] [ə] (palatalizes the preceding consonant) (/ˈt̪ik ˈt̪iki/ [ˈtʲɪk ˈtʲikʲə])
/o/ [ɔ] [o] [o] (/ˈt̪ok ˈt̪oko/ [ˈt̪ɔk ˈt̪oko])
/u/ [ɤ] [ə] (/ˈt̪uk ˈt̪uku/ [ˈt̪ɤk ˈt̪ukə])
More allophony for /u/:
[ʊ] in closed syllables after /w/: /wud̪/ [wʊd̪]
Probably also centered between palatal or palatalized consonants: /juj ˈjuki/ [jɪ̈j ˈjʉkʲə]

Long vowels (from older /ai au ei ou/): /ɛː ɔː iː uː/. Realized as [ɛ ɔ i u] when unstressed.
Last edited by Benturi on Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

what do you think of this consonant phonology?
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Melteor
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Melteor »

Nortaneous wrote:What's the environment for the [p] allophone of /k/? How is the velar nasal marginal?
/_V k>p where V is rounded /u/ and the velar nasal occurs intervocalically in a handful of words, and only before /k/ due to assimilation. So it's rare.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Ahzoh wrote:what do you think of this consonant phonology?
why do the affricate and lateral fricative vary for voice when nothing else does?

Plusquamperfekt
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Plusquamperfekt »

Phonology New.png
Phonology New.png (31.52 KiB) Viewed 7852 times

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

This is for the latest incarnation of my Akana-based conlang, presently called ʔuuleômôh:

Consonants:

Plain Nasal /m n ɲ ŋ/
Pre-glottalized Nasal /ˀm ˀn ˀɲ ˀŋ/

Plain Stop /p t k ʔ/
Aspirated Stop /pʰ tʰ kʰ/
Ejective Stop /p' t' k'/
Voiced Stop: /b d g/

Plain Affricate /t͡s t͡ʃ/
Aspirated Affricate /t͡sʰ t͡ʃʰ/
Ejective Affricate /t͡s' t͡ʃ'/
Voiced Affricate /d͡z d͡ʒ/

Voiceless Fricative /s ʃ h/
Voiced Fricative /z ʒ ɦ/

Plain Approximant /ɹ l j ʎ w/
Pre-glottalized Approximant /ˀɹ ˀl ˀj ˀʎ ˀw/

Vowels:

Close: i iː iːː | u uː uːː
Mid: e eː | ɚ | o oː
Open: a aː | ɒ ɒː

Short Diphthongs: /aɒ ɒa eo oe iu ui/
Long Diphthings: /aːi aːu aːɚ ɒːi ɒːu ɒːɚ eːi eːu eːɚ oːi oːu oːɚ iːu iːɚ uːi uːɚ/

Modal and creaky voice are phonemically distinguished on all vowels, and long vowels may be oral or nasalized.

Phonotactics:

Permitted syllables are of the form (S)(C)V(C)(h), (S)(P)(R)V(C)(h), or (P)N(C)(h):
C = any consonant
P = any stop or affricate
R = any approximant or nasal
S = any sibilant fricative
V = any vowel or diphthong
N = any of /m̩ n̩ ŋ̩ l̩/

The following restrictions apply:

*Syllables with long vowels or diphthongs of any length are always open

*No geminated consonants

*/h ɦ/ never follow a stop or affricate

*/ʔ/ never occurs in clusters

*Sibilant fricatives never directly follow a vowel

*Voiced consonants never follow voiceless consonants

*Glottalized sonorants never occur in clusters; in compounds, glottalization is lost after ejective and aspirated consonants,and otherwise shifts to the preceding obstruent

*The postalveolar/palatal consonants /ɲ ˀɲ ʃ ʒ ʎ ˀʎ/ occur only before or after one of /j i u/, and contrast with /n ˀn s z ˀl/ only adjacent to /u/

Allophony and other phonetic details:

*In coda position, /h/ and /ɦ/ are normally pronounced as [x] and [ɣ], respectively. Word-finally, however, these consonants are often elided, except in formal or careful speech.

*/ɲ ˀɲ ʎ ˀʎ/ may be pronounced anywhere between the alveolo-palatal and palatal places of articulation, depending on the environment and the speaker

*Between vowels, /ɹ/ is realized as a flap [ɾ]

*/a/ may be pronounced as either a front [a] or as [æ]; the former is more common but the two are effectively in free variation

*The trimoraic or "overlong" vowels /iːː uːː/ are not always phonetically distinguishable from /iː uː/, but they behave differently in case marking and differentiate minimal pairs like /suː/, "to drink" vs /suːː/, "to live, be alive"

*Diphthongs and sequences of a vowel followed by a semivowel behave differently in compounding and affixation, but in most cases not clearly distinguished phonetically

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

Welcome to another Dorishar Sprachbund language. It's nearly bog-standard Dorishar:

/m n ɲ ɳ/
<m n ñ ṇ>

/p pʰ b t tʰ d ʈ ʈʰ ɖ c~tɕ cʰ~tɕʰ ɟ~dʑ k kʰ g/
<p ph b t th d ṭ ṭh ḍ c ch j k kh g>

/s ð ʂ ʝ ɣ h ɬ /
<s dh ṣ jh gh ɬ ḥ>

/tɬ/
<tɬ>

/ʋ~w j l ɾ/
<v j l r>

/a i e o u/
<a i e o u>

/aː iː eː oː uː/
<ā ī ē ō ū>

/r̩ l̩ n̩/

This is spoken around where Heocg is spoken. The two languages have carved a mini-sprachbund inside the main Dorishar one.

That wacky fricative system is from these sound changes: originally this lang had these for stops and fricatives:

*/p pʰ b bʰ t tʰ d dʰ ʈ ʈʰ ɖʰ c~tɕ cʰ~tɕʰ ɟ~dʑ ɟʰ~dʑʰ k kʰ g gʰ/
*/s ʂ h/

(Dorishar languages traditionally hate fricatives, it's only from leniting their fuckhuge stop systems that they get them)

Then:

*b *d *ɟ *g > v ð ʝ ɣ (/v/ when became an approximant later due to Heocg influence and /ɖʰ/ just disappeared)

*bʰ *dʰ *ɟʰ *gʰ > b d ɟ g

This explains why the fricative system is so unbalanced. Dorishar languages traditionally have incredibly complex stop systems distinguishing voice and aspiration but their fricative systems are almost always incredibly simple with no distinction of even voice (ironically Azenti, the premier model for Dorishar languages, has a rich fricative system but that's from lenition and palatization along with substrates mucking about with everything). Note that this language's fricatives also aren't technically marked for voice--they devoice next to voiceless consonants.

I have little on the grammar for this language besides a PIE-style root system with Dorishar ablaut (lowering, raising, and fronting vowels. No rounded ones this time though). May do cases, maybe now, maybe even analytic but that would be weird right next to Heocg. I'll figure something out.
Nūdhrēmnāva naraśva, dṛk śraṣrāsit nūdhrēmanīṣṣ iźdatīyyīm woḥīm madhēyyaṣṣi.
satisfaction-DEF.SG-LOC live.PERFECTIVE-1P.INCL but work-DEF.SG-PRIV satisfaction-DEF.PL.NOM weakeness-DEF.PL-DAT only lead-FUT-3P

Click
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Click »

Why don’t voiced aspirates become fricatives, leaving the plain voiced stops in place?

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

Huh. I didn't think of that. I could possibly do that.
satisfaction-DEF.SG-LOC live.PERFECTIVE-1P.INCL but work-DEF.SG-PRIV satisfaction-DEF.PL.NOM weakeness-DEF.PL-DAT only lead-FUT-3P

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Click wrote:Why don’t voiced aspirates become fricatives, leaving the plain voiced stops in place?
Because the chain keeps us together!

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

Chagen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chagen »

Chagen wrote:Welcome to another Dorishar Sprachbund language. It's nearly bog-standard Dorishar:

/m n ɲ ɳ/
<m n ñ ṇ>

/p pʰ b t tʰ d ʈ ʈʰ ɖ c~tɕ cʰ~tɕʰ ɟ~dʑ k kʰ g/
<p ph b t th d ṭ ṭh ḍ c ch j k kh g>

/s ð ʂ ʝ ɣ h ɬ /
<s dh ṣ jh gh ɬ ḥ>

/tɬ/
<tɬ>

/ʋ~w j l ɾ/
<v j l r>

/a i e o u/
<a i e o u>

/aː iː eː oː uː/
<ā ī ē ō ū>

/r̩ l̩ n̩/

This is spoken around where Heocg is spoken. The two languages have carved a mini-sprachbund inside the main Dorishar one.

That wacky fricative system is from these sound changes: originally this lang had these for stops and fricatives:

*/p pʰ b bʰ t tʰ d dʰ ʈ ʈʰ ɖʰ c~tɕ cʰ~tɕʰ ɟ~dʑ ɟʰ~dʑʰ k kʰ g gʰ/
*/s ʂ h/

(Dorishar languages traditionally hate fricatives, it's only from leniting their fuckhuge stop systems that they get them)

Then:

*b *d *ɟ *g > v ð ʝ ɣ (/v/ when became an approximant later due to Heocg influence and /ɖʰ/ just disappeared)

*bʰ *dʰ *ɟʰ *gʰ > b d ɟ g

This explains why the fricative system is so unbalanced. Dorishar languages traditionally have incredibly complex stop systems distinguishing voice and aspiration but their fricative systems are almost always incredibly simple with no distinction of even voice (ironically Azenti, the premier model for Dorishar languages, has a rich fricative system but that's from lenition and palatization along with substrates mucking about with everything). Note that this language's fricatives also aren't technically marked for voice--they devoice next to voiceless consonants.

I have little on the grammar for this language besides a PIE-style root system with Dorishar ablaut (lowering, raising, and fronting vowels. No rounded ones this time though). May do cases, maybe now, maybe even analytic but that would be weird right next to Heocg. I'll figure something out.
So now I have some phonotactics for this:

(C)(C)(C)V(R)(C)

R is /r l m n ṇ ñ/

It's a little more complicated than this; here are the main things.

-The basic idea is that this language is Old Church Slavonic/Sanskrit like in that lots of initial clusters are allowed, but not many final ones

-The coda and onset depend on each other; if there's more than one consonant in one, the other can only have one. So, roots such as peks- and ktan- are possible, but *prest- or *ktavd- aren't. If the vowel in a word/root is long, however, the coda only have one consonant (thus paks- is possible but not *pāks- but, say, ktans- IS possible because....

-...Resonants can cheat, and occupy basically any space. The ones that can do this are /r l j n m ɲ ɳ/ (however, the last two there only every occur with homorganic consonants so only stuff like jañjh- or khīṇṭ- are possible. One could analyze this as them just being an /n/ which assimilates. /j/ only shows up in onset clusters). They can also occupy the onset (this is the only time initial CCC clusters can occur); stuff like ṭṇas- and ṣknūt- are possible. In the onset, they may not appear after resonants except for /m n/. In the coda, they may not be final unless they are the only consonant there.

-Aspirates may not occur with other stops (these restrictions occur for /ð ʝ ɣ/ as well since they derive from historical aspirates)

-A vocalic resonant may never occur next to a homorganic resonant (so no *snṇt- stuff, but snṛl- is kosher)

-Permitted clusters are listed below, using the following conventions (also remember that resonants can "invade" these clusters at any time):

<P B T D Ṭ Ḍ C J K G> are all shorthands for each POA of stop (thus <P> means "any voiceless labial stop", <J> "any voiced palatal stop", etc.)

<S> is any stop in general

Sv
sP sT sK
ṣP ṣT ṣK
ks, kṣ kt
ps pṣ pt

(Thinking of all the possibilities is hard, these aren't all of them of course, but it's a good overview for now)

Might as well throw in a little bit of a verbal paradigm (singular only for now):

niṣ-: to see (Class 1, regular):

neṣika: I am seeing see
neṣimi: you are seeing
nėṣiṭu: he/she/it is seeing

ṇuṣyoka: I see (and through this action accomplish some kind of goal)
nuṣyomi: you see (like above)
nuṣyoṭu: he/she/it sees (like the above)

iniṣū: I saw
iniṣam: you saw
iniṣōt: he/she/it saw

That second aspect are a little odd. Basically, it's for when you did the action with some kind of goal in mind, and finished that goal. For instance, the root jov-, meaning "to throw", in the first aspect javoka means that you just threw something. In the second jevyoka, it means that you threw something specifically for the purpose of hitting something else. It has connotations of purpose as well. It can be combined with the third aspect to form a past tense version of it (inuṣyoka, ojevyoka...)

This language has little tense marking and is all about aspects.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

Playing around with several languages to get something "Pìctish".

Consonants
Nasals: m n̪ n ɲ <m nn n ñ>
Plosives: /pʰ p t̪ʰ t̪ tʰ t cʰ c kʰ k/ <p b tt dd t d c j k g>
Fricatives: /f s̪ s ɬ ʃ ç x h/ <f z s lh x ch kh h>
Affricates: /ts̪ ts tʃ/ <tz ts tx>
Approximants: /w l j ʎ/ <u l i ll>
Rhotics: ɾ r r̥ <r rr rh>

Vowels
/a e i o u ɨ̞ ɤ ɯ ə/ <a e i o w u oi ui y>
/aː eː iː oː uː ɨː ɤː ɯː/ <â ê î ô ŵ û ôi ûi>

/aj/ <au>
/əj/ <yu>
/oj/ <ou>
/ɤj/ <oiu>
/ɯj/ <uiu>
/aw/ <aw>
/ew/ <ew>
/iw/ <iw>
/əw/ <yw>
It was about time I changed this.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Dgubyngh

pʰ p pʼ b pˁʰ pˁ pˁʼ bˁ tʰ t tʼ d ʈʰ ʈ ʈʼ ɖ c cʼ ɟ kʰ k kʼ g qʲʰ qʲ qʲʼ qʰ q qʼ qˁʰ qˁ qˁʼ ʔ
tsʰ ts dz tʃʰ tʃ dʒ tɕʰ tɕ dʑ
ɸ ɸʼ β βˁ sʰ s z ɬʰ ɬ ɬʼ ʃʰ ʃ ʒ ʂʰ ʂ ʐ ɕʰ ɕ ʑ xʰ x ɣ χʲʰ χʲ ʁʲ χʰ χ ʁ χˁʰ χˁ ʁˁ h ɦ
m̥ m mˁ n̥ n ȵ̊ ȵ ŋ̊ ŋ
l̥ l r j w wˁ
ʰp ʰpˁ ʰt ʰʈ ʰc ʰk ʰqʲ ʰq ʰqˁ ʰts ʰtʃ ʰtɕ
ʰsʰ ʰs ʰɬ ʰʃʰ ʰʃ ʰɕʰ ʰɕ ʰx ʰχʲ ʰχ ʰχˁ
ʱb ʱbˁ ʱd ʱɖ ʱɟ ʱg ʱdz ʱdʒ ʱdʑ
ʱz ʱʒ ʱʐ ʱʑ
ʱm ʱmˁ ʱn ʱȵ ʱŋ
ʱl ʱr ʱj ʱw ʱwˁ
ᵐb ᵐbˁ ⁿd ⁿɖ ⁿg
ⁿdz ⁿdʒ ⁿdʑ ⁿɣ ⁿʁʲ ⁿʁ ⁿʁˁ
ᵐpʰ ⁿtʰ ⁿʈʰ ⁿkʰ ⁿqʰ ⁿtsʰ ⁿtʃʰ ⁿtɕʰ ⁿsʰ ⁿɕʰ ⁿɬʰ ⁿxʰ ⁿχʲʰ ⁿχʰ ⁿχˁʰ
ᵐg ᵐtsʰ
ᵖt ᵖʈ ᵖʈʰ ᵖk ᵖqʲ ᵖq ᵖqˁ ᵖts ᵖtsʰ ᵖtʃ ᵖtʃʰ ᵖtɕ
ᶲt ᶲʈ ᶲtɕ ᶲs ᶲɬ ᶲk ᶲq ᶲqˁ ᶲχ ᶲχˁ
ʷɖ ʷg ʷdʑ ʷʐ ʷn ʷl ʷʁ ʷʁˁ
ˀm ˀn ˀj
a: a ɑ ɛ ɔ e ɵ ə o i ʉ ɯ u

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

To the Romanization Challenge dungeon. Now.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

Something new I'm working on.

/p t k q ʔ/ <p t k q '>
/ɸ θ ɬ ʃ x χ/<f þ lh s x ch>
/l r j w ʁ ɦ/ <l r j w g h>
/m n ŋ/ <m n ñ>

/ɨ ə ɐ/ <y e a>

CV(C) syllables.

ObsequiousNewt
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by ObsequiousNewt »

Proto* (yes, the asterisk is part of its name, because I said so)

Syllable structure: CVRC

V: /a~ɛ ɛ~e e~i ɑ~ɒ~ɔ ɔ~o o~u/
R: /j w ɑ̯ l m n Ø/
C: /p pʰ b t tʰ d tʼ ɗ k kʰ g q qʰ/

R is apophonic. V distinguishes two degrees of vowel length.

Ο ορανς τα ανα̨ριθομον ϝερρον εͱεν ανθροποτροφον.
Το̨ ανθροπς αυ̨τ εκψον επ αθο̨ οραναμο̨ϝον.
Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν. Θαιν.

ol bofosh
Smeric
Smeric
Location: tʰæ.ɹʷˠə.ˈgɜʉ̯.nɜ kʰæ.tə.ˈlɜʉ̯.nʲɜ spɛ̝ɪ̯n ˈjʏː.ɹəʔp

Post by ol bofosh »

A proto-lang, from which I'll derive some things more interesting. Tones in one, fricatives in another. Something like that.

/m n ɲ ŋ/ <m n ñ g>
/p t c k/ <p t c k>
/ɾ l j w/ <r l y w>
/a i u aː iː uː/ <a i u â î û>

CVC
It was about time I changed this.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

2 phonemes:
/t~n~ɪ k~ŋ~ʌ/

Allophony:
1. /t k/ before another single /t k/ change to [n ŋ]
2. /t k/ vocalize:
2—a. firstly before a phonetic nasal
2—b. secondly after a phonetic consonant, unless before a vowel from the first vocalization
2—c. ultimately before a phonetic consonant
3. /t k/ spirantize to [s h], unless preceded by a phonetic nasal
4. nasals disappear before a phonetic consonant
5. [ɪ] change to [ʊ] after a velar/ɡlottal
6. [ʌ] change to [ɛ] after a dental
7. A phonetic vowel elides before another phonetic vowel.
8. [ɪ ʊ] elide in VC_CV, if the next syllable contains [ɪ ʊ]
9. [ɛ ʌ] elide in VC_CV, if the next syllable contains [ɛ ʌ]

Orthography:
[n ŋ] ‹n g/n¹
[t k] ‹t k
[s h] ‹s h

[ɪ ʊ] ‹i u
[ɛ ʌ] ‹e a

¹) before [k h]

Examples:
/ttkkkkkk/ ‹tahak
/ttkkkkkkkkt/ ‹tehhaku
/kktktkkk/ ‹kasek
/kktktkkkkkt/ ‹kuhhaku
/ktkttkkk/ ‹astek
/ktkttkkt/ ‹asenku

:P :P :P

(sca²)
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

What kind of mushrooms did you smoke ;)
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.