Questions about habitable zones, star luminosity, etc.

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Questions about habitable zones, star luminosity, etc.

Post by con quesa »

In the interest of finally pinning down the exact orbital parameters of Arzhanø's orbit around its sun, and thus the length of its year, I want to calculate the distance from the sun that the planet would have to be to be roughly Earth-like.

I've always imagined that Arzhanø's sun is a little bit cooler and oranger than Earth's sun, but also that Arzhanø is somewhat of a warmer, wetter world than Earth, although still with (small, perhaps seasonal) icecaps at the poles. Details of the atmosphere, arrangement of landmasses, etc. that I'm basically not thinking thinking about (it's still fundamentally a fantasy sort of setting, even if the physics is more or less real-world) matter a lot for exactly what sorts of climate can happen even at a given distance from the sun, but I figure that aiming for an average global temperature of around 15 C is reasonable. And I want the length of the year to be somewhat shorter than that of Earth, although not really significantly shorter. So it's a question of calculating what (somewhat less than solar) luminosity of a sun will induce a habitable-zone orbit that is somewhat shorter than that of Earth, and apply rigorous numbers to these.

Unfortunately, my understanding of astronomy is a bit out of depth, and I'm not sure exactly what math I need to do to work this out. I figure this is something that lots of people have also had to think about, so I thought I'd punt my question to the board.
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

2+3 clusivity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Questions about habitable zones, star luminosity, etc.

Post by 2+3 clusivity »

Is your main concern the length of the year? If so, you could probably 'magic' away a lot of calculations via the speed of the orbit.

What type of star are you thinking of; what type of atmosphere; tectonic activity?
linguoboy wrote:So that's what it looks like when the master satirist is moistened by his own moutarde.

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Questions about habitable zones, star luminosity, etc.

Post by Hallow XIII »

Stop right there, Geoff made a site for this!
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice