Uqonian

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Zontas
Lebom
Lebom

Uqonian

Post by Zontas »

Uqonian

The photo's from Meet The Robinsons, a movie where an art style called Zeerust is displayed like a minor character, not that that's a bad thing- I mean that's only reason I saw it when I was 12 (haven't seen it since). It was good, by the way.

Zeerust is Raygun Gothic art without the Gothic part and false sharp edges instead of real ones; the main signs of it are 1) skew angles, 2) bright, warm colors and blue arranged in simple patterns, 3) use of spheres and ellipses more commonly than normal, 4) astrological and surreal motifs due to the intent of funness over elegance or coolness. Also, people in the 50s thought the future was this, so it could be called Boomer Steampunk or Atompunk, too. Note that I do not like the 50s in pretty much all other aspects, just in this one; any and all spammers who post Happy Days or Leave It To Beaver screencaps will get punched.

Long story short, this genre of art from this movie, among other sights sparked the shit out of my inspiration and made me wanna devized a conculture and conlang (for the pretty letter arrangements on the signs and names). The culture, by the way, takes place in a fictional universe where the future came sooner. Economic levels are still to proportion.

Phonology

Inventory

The orthography is deliberately Standard Average European, as the art styles I'm paying homage to have culturally Western European roots (sorta, I don't know it's a guess). But I also wanted it to be beautiful and ornate so I added the central vowels, ejectives, and reverse affricates which have orthography to be appealing to my eye but not causing confusion with anything else or being dissymetric. Outside that, the only odd feature is a lack of /v/ which has been removed for consistency (it exists in loans).

Vowels

/i: ɨ: u u:/ ei ou u ö/ oo

/ɪ ɪ: ɪ̈/ i ë/ ee eu

/e: o (ə)/ ai o ə/ a/ e

/ɛ/ e

/∀/ a

/ᴀ:/ ä/ aa

Notes:

•/ə/ only exists as a phoneme in northern and insular dialects. Otherwise it causes central-ümlaut, lowering /ɪ u/ to /ɛ o/ unless /j or w/ follow in the syllable formerly with /ə/ or the next syllable (if said next syllable is stressed).

Polyphthongs

/aɛ aɪ̯ ɒw/ ae ai au

/ɪ̯a (ɪ̯ə)/ ia ie

/oɒ/ oa

/wɒ (wə)/ ua uo

Notes:

•In metropolitan Ressara City /ɛ/ and /o/ components of diphthongs are pronounced /j/ and /w/, respectively. This is considered urban and prestigious, so it occurs in richer parts around Ussel.
•When /ə/ disappears from a diphthong, /ɪ̯/ and /w/ become /ɪ/ and /u/, respectively.

Consonants

/m n ŋ / m n ñ

/p b t d tʃ dʒ k g kʷ gʷ/ p b t d c j k g q ƣ

/(p') t' (q'~q)/ pp tt qq

/(β͡b) ð͡d (ɣ͡g)/ bh dh gh

/ɸ (v) θ s ʃ z̺ z̻ x/ f th v s ç x z h

/l l̊ r r̊ w j/ l lh r rh w y

Notes:

•/p'/ and /q'/ only occur in northern and northwestern variants. Some speakers on the island of Ktella and laterally parallel areas retain them as /b/ and /g/. Other dialects have geminates instead.
•/(β͡b)/ and /(ɣ͡g)/ are become /bb/ and /gg/ in Rohslor dialects besides the northeast, but some speakers Oice and Lellytue retain them. The archaic pronunciations are /bβ/ and /gɣ/ used occasionally in the easternmost of Ktella.
•/v/ is a phoneme only found in loanwords and onomatopeia.
•Final /l r̊/ become /hˡ h˞/ (not indicated in spelling).
•Obstruents shift voicing from the previous consonant.
•/x/ is /h/ syllable-initially.
•/ʃ/ is pronounced /s̻/ in northern dialects.

Syllable Structure

(S)(C)(G)V(N)(C)

Wherein:

•S is any voiceless obstruent or sonorant.
•C is any consonant.
•G is either /j/ or /w/.
•V is any vowel.
•N is any homorganic nasal, liquid, or /s/ (which is pronounced /z/ before voiced consonants).

Restrictions:

•Ejectives, and geminates must border vowels or null.
•S cannot be /h/ (but the /h/ devoices the previous consonant), /p/ and /kʷ/ before occlusives, or /f/, /ʃ/, /θ/ before obstruents.
Last edited by Zontas on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hey there.

salem
Sanci
Sanci

Re: Uqonian

Post by salem »

I'm confused to as what <∀> and <ᴀ> are supposed to be representing here, as they're certainly not IPA. Could you be meaning <ɐ> and <ɑ>, respectively?

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chengjiang »

I find it slightly confusing that you use <q> and <ƣ> to refer to labialized velars but <qq> to refer to a uvular.

I take it that the dieresis and the doubled vowel letter are different ways of writing the same sound depending on whether the context permits the use of diacritics and/or special characters. If I am correct in this, is there an alternate way of writing <ƣ> and <ñ>?
jstups wrote:I'm confused to as what <∀> and <ᴀ> are supposed to be representing here, as they're certainly not IPA. Could you be meaning <ɐ> and <ɑ>, respectively?
They're nonstandard IPA characters. <ᴀ> refers to an unrounded open central vowel, halfway between cardinal [a] and cardinal [ɑ]. As practically zero languages distinguish an open front vowel from an open central vowel, most of the time <a> is used to refer to this sound, with a centering or retracting diacritic added if it isn't clear from context that it indicates a central vowel and not a front vowel. <ᴀ> is mostly used in Sinological circles if I remember right. I'm not familiar with <∀>, however.
[ʈʂʰɤŋtɕjɑŋ], or whatever you can comfortably pronounce that's close to that

Formerly known as Primordial Soup

Supporter of use of [ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ] in transcription

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a 青.

KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Post by KathTheDragon »

You should use phonemic slashes (//) here, since you are referring to phonemes.

Zontas
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zontas »

Chengjiang wrote:I find it slightly confusing that you use <q> and <ƣ> to refer to labialized velars but <qq> to refer to a uvular.

I take it that the dieresis and the doubled vowel letter are different ways of writing the same sound depending on whether the context permits the use of diacritics and/or special characters. If I am correct in this, is there an alternate way of writing <ƣ> and <ñ>?
jstups wrote:I'm confused to as what <∀> and <ᴀ> are supposed to be representing here, as they're certainly not IPA. Could you be meaning <ɐ> and <ɑ>, respectively?
They're nonstandard IPA characters. <ᴀ> refers to an unrounded open central vowel, halfway between cardinal [a] and cardinal [ɑ]. As practically zero languages distinguish an open front vowel from an open central vowel, most of the time <a> is used to refer to this sound, with a centering or retracting diacritic added if it isn't clear from context that it indicates a central vowel and not a front vowel. <ᴀ> is mostly used in Sinological circles if I remember right. I'm not familiar with <∀>, however.
Upside down a denotes something between /ɐ/ because I use small capital oe as a rounded central /ø/.
But anyways, all spelling oddities are for stylistic purposes.
Hey there.

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chengjiang »

Zontas wrote:Upside down a denotes something between /ɐ/ because I use small capital oe as a rounded central /ø/.
Er, could you rephrase that? I don't understand. Between [ɐ] and what? Also, in what do you use small capital <oe>? I don't see it in your orthography.
OK. It just seems a strange stylistic choice to have <q> mean /kʷ/ and <qq> mean /q'/.

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chengjiang »

Zontas wrote:•/p'/ and /q'/ only occur in northern and northwestern variants. Some speakers on the island of Ktella and laterally parallel areas retain them as /b/ and /g/. Other dialects have geminates instead.
•/(β͡b)/ and /(ɣ͡g)/ are become /bb/ and /gg/ in Rohslor dialects besides the northeast, but some speakers Oice and Lellytue retain them. The archaic pronunciations are /bβ/ and /gɣ/ used occasionally in the easternmost of Ktella.
In dialects that don't realize /p' q' β͡b ɣ͡g/ as geminates, are there still geminate stops that they can contrast with? Does your romanization distinguish these from the ejectives at all?

salem
Sanci
Sanci

Post by salem »

Zontas wrote:Upside down a denotes something between /ɐ/ because I use small capital oe as a rounded central /ø/.
So is <∀> /ɶ̈/, or /ɐ̹/? I'm confused. Also, "rounded central /ø/" (despite the fact that /ø/ is already rounded) is /ɵ/.

Zontas
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zontas »

jstups wrote:
So is <∀> /ɶ̈/, or /ɐ̹/? I'm confused. Also, "rounded central /ø/" (despite the fact that /ø/ is already rounded) is /ɵ/.
I meant rounded central capital oe (I'm on a unicode-unfriendly computer). That was an accident.
Hey there.

Zontas
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zontas »

Chengjiang wrote:
Zontas wrote:•/p'/ and /q'/ only occur in northern and northwestern variants. Some speakers on the island of Ktella and laterally parallel areas retain them as /b/ and /g/. Other dialects have geminates instead.
In dialects that don't realize /p' q' β͡b ɣ͡g/ as geminates, are there still geminate stops that they can contrast with? Does your romanization distinguish these from the ejectives at all?
The answer is nay. There aren't any geminate stops they contrast with, because ejectives are the genesis of stop geminates. The inventory presented is the one used for describing characteristics like sandhi or syllable structure, rather than the standard.
Hey there.

Zontas
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zontas »

Chengjiang wrote:
The answer is nay. There aren't any geminate stops they contrast with, because ejectives are the genesis of stop geminates. The inventory presented is the one used for describing characteristics like sandhi or syllable structure, rather than the standard.
Hey there.

Zontas
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zontas »

Chengjiang wrote:
Hey there.

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chengjiang »

Zontas wrote:The answer is nay. There aren't any geminate stops they contrast with, because ejectives are the genesis of stop geminates. The inventory presented is the one used for describing characteristics like sandhi or syllable structure, rather than the standard.
Can all other consonants be geminated? I noticed apparent geminate sonorants and fricatives in place names.
I meant rounded central capital oe
Ah, so [ɶ̠], the rounded open central vowel? The rounded counterpart to the vowel you're representing with <ᴀ>?

Zontas
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Zontas »

Chengjiang wrote:
Zontas wrote:The answer is nay. There aren't any geminate stops they contrast with, because ejectives are the genesis of stop geminates. The inventory presented is the one used for describing characteristics like sandhi or syllable structure, rather than the standard.
Can all other consonants be geminated? I noticed apparent geminate sonorants and fricatives in place names.
Yes, except the reverse affricates and glides.
Hey there.