Sound Change Quickie Thread

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
KathTheDragon
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by KathTheDragon »

Since I now have an answer, yes. Armenian seems to have had hw > ʍ > kʍ > kʰ, so you could feasibly either continue that as kʰ > x (cf. Modern Greek, iirc) or instead do ʍ > xʍ > x.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Perfect, thanks. My conlang already has aspirates, but the second change would work perfectly.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

vtardif
Sanci
Sanci

Post by vtardif »

Mugitus wrote:I'm newer to conlanging, so I hope i don't say something completely implausible, but anyway is it plausible for [ts] and [dz] to be allophones of velar consonants before front vowels? Thanks in advance!
That seems entirely probable. Diachronically, this would likely look like [k g] > [c ɟ] > [tʃ dʒ] > [ts dz]. Something to think about: are there other instances of [ts dz] (or [tʃ dʒ] etc. if you want to go that route) which /k g/ might then merge with before front vowels?

Also: this is why we have soft C. All Cs in Latin represented the same sound /k/, but before front vowels it changed in much the way I described above, then on to [s z], as in English <center> /'sen.tɹ/ (a borrowing from the French <centre>, now pronounced /sɑ̃tʁ/).
(aka vbegin)

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sangi39 »

Mugitus wrote:I'm newer to conlanging, so I hope i don't say something completely implausible, but anyway is it plausible for [ts] and [dz] to be allophones of velar consonants before front vowels? Thanks in advance!
I don't see why not. Didn't Spanish /θ/ derive from older [ts], which itself came from [k] before or [e]?
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Mugitus
Niš
Niš

Post by Mugitus »

Thanks to both of you! :)
C

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

KathAveara wrote:Since I now have an answer, yes. Armenian seems to have had hw > ʍ > kʍ > kʰ, so you could feasibly either continue that as kʰ > x (cf. Modern Greek, iirc) or instead do ʍ > xʍ > x.
or ʍ → x since the sounds are very similar. you don't have to make it difficult or add in extra stages all the time, you know.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

finlay wrote:
KathAveara wrote:Since I now have an answer, yes. Armenian seems to have had hw > ʍ > kʍ > kʰ, so you could feasibly either continue that as kʰ > x (cf. Modern Greek, iirc) or instead do ʍ > xʍ > x.
or ʍ → x since the sounds are very similar. you don't have to make it difficult or add in extra stages all the time, you know.
That works even better.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

8Deer
Lebom
Lebom

Post by 8Deer »

In languages with both implosives and modal voiced stops, which series is most likely to lenite, or is there any sort of tendency one way or another?

Tropylium
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Tropylium »

Define "lenite"?
Implosives are not obstruents, so if you wanted fricativization, the modal voiced stops are a better bet for that. OTOH if you wanted lenition towards sonorants, the implosives are a better starting place (ɓ > m, ɗ > l etc.) You can find examples of voiced stops going to sonorants in plenty of languages but that almost always involves a fricativ intermediate stage and no implosives hanging around.
[ˌʔaɪsəˈpʰɻ̊ʷoʊpɪɫ ˈʔæɫkəɦɔɫ]

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

A quick question since I'm finally trying to settle down with the sound history of Kišta. Suppose that there's a change of Vi sequences to plain long vowels VV with optional fronting or raising but this change doesn't happen for all vowels. Is this type of a straightening generally more likely to happen for [low vowel]+i or [high vowel]+i sequences?

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

gach wrote:A quick question since I'm finally trying to settle down with the sound history of Kišta. Suppose that there's a change of Vi sequences to plain long vowels VV with optional fronting or raising but this change doesn't happen for all vowels. Is this type of a straightening generally more likely to happen for [low vowel]+i or [high vowel]+i sequences?
I think the latter. /ei/ > /e:/ seems more common to me than /ai/ > /a:/, though the latter is attested, too.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

Yep, it's well possible throughout the vowel space. I just want to make it a partial sound change and would be interested to learn what are its statistics for happening for different base vowels.

Basically this is a question of developing the vowel /ø/ in stressed syllables from *oi and whether it will appear in the inherited lexicon only in the diphthong öi or as a long vowel öö.

GreenBowTie
Lebom
Lebom

Post by GreenBowTie »

/oi/ :> /ø:/ and /oi/ :> /øi/ both seem pretty reasonable to me though the latter seems likely to turn into /øy/

Click
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Click »

WeepingElf wrote:
gach wrote:A quick question since I'm finally trying to settle down with the sound history of Kišta. Suppose that there's a change of Vi sequences to plain long vowels VV with optional fronting or raising but this change doesn't happen for all vowels. Is this type of a straightening generally more likely to happen for [low vowel]+i or [high vowel]+i sequences?
I think the latter. /ei/ > /e:/ seems more common to me than /ai/ > /a:/, though the latter is attested, too.
And in tact they are both attested in various dialects of English. :wink:

I know regressive assimilations are more common, but is it plausible for a nasal to assimilate in place to an obstruent on its left, as in [tm] → [tn]?
Also, how to make [tn] eventually become [nd]? Perhaps [tn] → [nˀ] → [nd]?

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

German has place assimilation for -en but that's a special case, basically a weird reversed preinitial

it's too bad it doesn't have a Tibetan-style script to leave people confused a dozen or two centuries from now
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Click wrote:I know regressive assimilations are more common, but is it plausible for a nasal to assimilate in place to an obstruent on its left, as in [tm] → [tn]?
Also, how to make [tn] eventually become [nd]? Perhaps [tn] → [nˀ] → [nd]?
The former seems fine to me, since nasals are on the whole more prone to assimilation than oral stops. As for the latter, I would imagine that it would depend on what position in the word we're talking about. Glottalized nasals are more commonly preglottalized than postglottalized, so I'm not sure about the sequence of changes you propose, but word-initially you might have [tn] lose the initial stop, before undergoing fortition to [nd]. Of course, in that case other instances of initial [n] would become prenasalized stops as well, regardless of whether or not they were prestopped.

zyxw59
Lebom
Lebom

Post by zyxw59 »

If /c ɟ ç ʝ/ → /t͜ɕ d͜ʑ ɕ ʑ/, what could happen to /cc ɟɟ/?

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

zyxw59 wrote:If /c ɟ ç ʝ/ → /t͜ɕ d͜ʑ ɕ ʑ/, what could happen to /cc ɟɟ/?
The obvious choice is long affricates. If you want to have those long affricates lenite to long (or plain) fricatives that might be possible too.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

zyxw59
Lebom
Lebom

Post by zyxw59 »

I guess then my question is, how exactly are long affricates realized? Is the stop part lengthened, the fricative part lengthened, or both?

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

zyxw59 wrote:I guess then my question is, how exactly are long affricates realized? Is the stop part lengthened, the fricative part lengthened, or both?
I'm not sure what the tendency is cross-linguistically. I think I typically pronounce them extending the stop.
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Mugitus
Niš
Niš

Post by Mugitus »

Any idea of what I could turn /ɬ/ into?
C

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Mugitus wrote:Any idea of what I could turn /ɬ/ into?
/s/, /ʃ/, debuccalize it into /h/, maybe have it conditionally turn into /l/.
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

TaylorS
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TaylorS »

IIRC it became /S/ in many Semitic languages.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

If you believe it was a part of Proto Algonquian's phonology, then /n/, /θ/, and /t/ are some acceptable reflexes.

CatDoom
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by CatDoom »

Earlier in this thread it was suggested that /ɬ/ could become /ħ/ by way of /ɬˤ/.