Examples of truly unique conlang features?

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Re: Examples of truly unique conlang features?

Post by Nortaneous »

Trebor wrote:Are there any natlangs that conjugate verbs for aspect, mood, and voice, but not at all for person, number, gender, and tense?
Piraha conjugates verbs for aspect, mood, evidentiality, and tense, but not at all for person, number, gender, and voice. That's close enough that there's probably one that does what you're asking about, but I don't know what it is.

(Also, I looked up Rotokas because I remembered its verb system being bizarre, and it has 15 different tense affixes.)

As for your earlier post: 1) happens in my conlang Miar, but I'm not sure where I got it from. Participles aren't necessary; you could probably handle them with serial verb constructions.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

Mongolian has morphologically marked TAM and voice categories but lacks person/number marking on verbs if you don't count the fact that different imperative like moods only apply to certain implied persons. This isn't the case for all Mongolic languages since often the agglutination of subject pronouns has created new person suffixes.

Zhen Lin
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Zhen Lin »

Trebor wrote:Are there any natlangs that conjugate verbs for aspect, mood, and voice, but not at all for person, number, gender, and tense?
Japanese verbs conjugate for tense (past / non-past), mood (indicative, negative, imperative, conditional, hortative), and voice (active, passive, potential, causative, passive-causative), but not person, number, or gender. (Aspect is expressed with auxiliary verbs.)
書不盡言、言不盡意

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

So does Korean. And Manchu. It's an West East Altaic Sprachbund feature.
Last edited by Hallow XIII on Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

Reading through my Kotanian grammar pages, I found another thing I haven't seen in conlangs or natlangs (but admittedly I don't know that many natlangs nor conlangs), is that Kotanian has, for a limited number of graded antonyms, a neutral adjective expressing the quality. So theres "young" and "old", but also "of a certain age". These neutral adjectives are especially used in comparison.

JAL

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Hallow XIII wrote:So does Korean. And Manchu. It's a West Altaic Sprachbund feature.
You mean "East Altaic"? West is where the Sun goes down. Turkic has personal endings.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

WeepingElf wrote:
Hallow XIII wrote:So does Korean. And Manchu. It's a West Altaic Sprachbund feature.
You mean "East Altaic"?
Yes.
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

2+3 clusivity
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by 2+3 clusivity »

Shit demon speech? As in, large swathes of the conlang.
linguoboy wrote:So that's what it looks like when the master satirist is moistened by his own moutarde.