A Sketch of the regional Proto-Language

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
SomeUserToo?
Niš
Niš

A Sketch of the regional Proto-Language

Post by SomeUserToo? »

I have created this thread to be a 'scratchpad', if one will, for a language I created. It is designed to be a proto-language I shall be placing in my conworld, of which few details yet exist. This first post contains the sound changes from the proto-language to its descendant (not my invention, but rather Toki Pona with a somewhat expanded vocabulary).

I am only beginning to employ sound changes to create languages, so I am not particularly good at it. As for the request, how naturalistic are these sound changes? The phonetic inventory of the proto-language is in the attached file. The sound changes that follow are in .sc format from the SCA2. Here they are:

U=PTCKQRBDG
S=ptckqrbdg
I=pbcMNL
F=kgknnn
V=aiu
X=eeo
C=ptkbdgfvszʃʒčmnwjlh
H=mn
A=aeiou

U/S/U_
I/F/_²
/n/_U
U/S/_
c/kj/_
N/nj/_
L/nl/_
M/nw/_
r/qq/_
q/k/_
n/m/_[pfbvwm]
m/n/_[tkdglszjʒn]
V//_#
tt/s/_
kk/h/_
dd/z/_
gg/gh/_
C//_²
H/H²/_[C#]
H/H²/_[C#]
C//_#
w/v/_
j/dʒ/_
i/ji/C_
[tkc]/č/_j
[dg]/dʒ/_j
j//C_
h/f/_u/C_
V/X/_Z
č/tʃ/_
C//_[C#]/_²
p/f/_
b/v/_
t/d/A_A
k/g/A_A
f/v/_
s/z/_
ʃ/ʒ/_
C//_²
H//#_C
[eiou]//A_
[eiou]//_A
a//_²
m/n/_#
a/o/ʒ_
u/a/ʒ_

Note also that the p and b convert from velars to labiovelars before they fricativise, but after they have undergone p, b/k, g/_p, b. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to assess this.
Build it, and they will come.
Sell it, and they will buy.
Write it, and they will read.
Then they will stop looking over your shoulder once you want them to see it.

R.Rusanov
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: A Sketch of the regional Proto-Language

Post by R.Rusanov »

it's hard to visualize those changes on account of it's not a very informative format you chose to present them in

maybe try a graph with IPA ?
Slava, čĭstŭ, hrabrostĭ!

Janko Gorenc
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Janko Gorenc »

I would like to send on your PM. But I don't know for them.
My collection numbers from languages and dialects changes incenssantly.
Today 21.1.2014 my collection includes: I have data for numbers from 21518 ways (both languages. conlangs and natlangs, their dialects, subdialects,... additional versions.

SomeUserToo?
Niš
Niš

Post by SomeUserToo? »

I am not quite sure what you like to be called, so I address people here with what I presume they would like for a name. If you would prefer something else, feel free to tell me.

Mr. Rusanov, thank you for your feedback. I am not quite sure how to construct an IPA graph. Do you have any examples or explanations of how they work?

Mr. Gorenc, you won't be able to. I have turned off the ability for people to send my private messages in my settings. I will PM you the numbers in this language. If you want something else as well, just tell me and I will turn PM on again.

Quantum
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Quantum »

This section on Wikipedia details a standard notation for displaying sound changes.
"To those who seek the solace of eternity, may journey down the river through the sacred Gates of Iss and find everlasting peace in the bosom of Issus"

Janko Gorenc
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Janko Gorenc »

Janko Gorenc wrote:I would like to send on your PM. But I don't know for them.
"1-3 exist as native roots:
One: wa (n root)
Two: tu (plain root)
Three: Li (plain root)
Four+: mutid (plain root)

4-10 only exist as borrowings (though mutid is generally used for these):
Four: jok (plain root)
Five: tiK (plain root)
Six: tit (plain root)
Seven: tiTi (plain root)
Eight: kat (plain root)
Nine: Ni (n root)
Ten: diu (plain root)"

Thank you for numbers.
Could you please tell me what is name for your conlang? and please tell me for pronounciation some letters:j in jok, K in tiK, T in tiTi, N in Ni?
My collection numbers from languages and dialects changes incenssantly.
Today 21.1.2014 my collection includes: I have data for numbers from 21518 ways (both languages. conlangs and natlangs, their dialects, subdialects,... additional versions.

SomeUserToo?
Niš
Niš

Post by SomeUserToo? »

Quantum,
Thank You! I will alter the format of the sound changes when I get the time. I do have to update them too, so that will probably be when I do that.

Mr. Gorenc,
I will PM you this too, so that I know you receive it. I have changed the numbers slightly, so I will rewrite them here. The conlang doesn't technically have a name, though I always call it Proto-Toki-Pona, and it doesn't look like I will rename it anytime soon. j is the palatal approximant (yes), T a voicelss prenasalised alveolar stop (similar to into), K a voiceless prenasalised velar stop (similar to ink), and N a palatal nasal (similar to the man you know). Also, the L in Li is a prenasalised lateral affricate (similar to antler). The updated numbers are:
Native-
One: kka (n root)
Two: du (plain root)
Three: Li (plain root)
Four or more: muatid (plain root)

Borrowed:
Four: juk (plain root)
Five: tiK (plain root)
Six: tiTi (plain root)
Eight: kat (plain root)
Nine: Ni (n root)
Ten: diu (plain root)

Hopefully this helps!

SomeUserToo?
Niš
Niš

Post by SomeUserToo? »

I am now to begin work on the sound change editing, though progress may be slow (I will repost them upon finishing). I am also beginning to add content on the language at conlangfiles.weebly.com/proto-toki-pona. Most content will still be posted here first however.