Sound Change Quickie Thread

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
sirdanilot
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by sirdanilot »

Bristel wrote:Is feature spreading from consonants to vowels something that works in reverse as well as forwards? (I can't remember the term for forward or reverse spreading). So if a consonant is breathy, can the breathy voice spread to preceding and/or following vowels?
Yeah why not, go for it.

Pharyngealized consonants in Arabic also change the vowel quality of the adjacent vowels (both preceding and following).

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Bristel wrote:Is feature spreading from consonants to vowels something that works in reverse as well as forwards? (I can't remember the term for forward or reverse spreading). So if a consonant is breathy, can the breathy voice spread to preceding and/or following vowels?
It's progressive for forward and regressive for backward.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

sirdanilot wrote:
Yeah why not, go for it.

Pharyngealized consonants in Arabic also change the vowel quality of the adjacent vowels (both preceding and following).
Laryngeals also spread their features (voicelessness for /h/, creakiness for /ʔ/) regressively in Cayuga.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

And there's those languages where nasalization is a word-level phenomenon. Tone can act backwards or forwards from the same trigger, as evidence by Punjabi.

pdusen
Niš
Niš

Post by pdusen »

I have these forms of a word:

nuzudu
nazada

Trying to introduce irregularity.

Is it plausible to drop the middle "u" in form 1 but keep the middle "a" in form 2? Such that we're left with:

nuzdu
nazada

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Is there any natlang precedent for ʕ > r?
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

WeepingElf wrote:Is there any natlang precedent for ʕ > r?
Can a "uvular R" type change go backwards? If so, I could see a shift of ʕ > ʀ~ʁ > r.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

pdusen wrote:I have these forms of a word:

nuzudu
nazada

Is it plausible to drop the middle "u" in form 1 but keep the middle "a" in form 2? Such that we're left with:

nuzdu
nazada
Yes. /a/ often seems to be more resistant to loss than other vowels.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Porphyrogenitos
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Porphyrogenitos »

Dewrad wrote: Yes. /a/ often seems to be more resistant to loss than other vowels.
Is that really the case? That's interesting. I would've imagined it was more prone to loss due to its propensity to turn into /ə/.

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

Porphyrogenitos wrote:
Dewrad wrote: Yes. /a/ often seems to be more resistant to loss than other vowels.
Is that really the case? That's interesting. I would've imagined it was more prone to loss due to its propensity to turn into /ə/.
I was thinking the same thing, but thinking a bit more, /i u/ are far more prone to devoicing, for example, and merging short /i u/ into a single central vowel and then dropping it isn't terribly uncommon I don't believe. Old English dropped high vowels in some contexts where open vowels weren't (and vice versa). Pure speculation on my part, but part of it might be that languages with reduction tend to lose /a/ > /ə/ > zero, while those that directly delete them lose the high vowel.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

See Proto-Slavic. *i *u were reduced and dropped when unstressed, while *e *a were kept in all positions.
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

8Deer
Lebom
Lebom

Post by 8Deer »

Isn't /a/ generally considered to be more sonorous than other vowels? I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

Zaarin wrote:
Can a "uvular R" type change go backwards? If so, I could see a shift of ʕ > ʀ~ʁ > r.
I've read that the fronting of uvular R has been posited for some Austronesian languages.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

Pogostick Man wrote:
Zaarin wrote:
I've read that the fronting of uvular R has been posited for some Austronesian languages.
I'd take that with a serious grain of salt if you're basing it off the proto-language. At least according to the sources Wikipedia uses, the sound reconstructed as *R or *ɣ more often has a coronal reflex than a dorsal one, if I'm interpreting correctly those with dorsals exist inside families that otherwise lack them, and a quick glance at a map shows those that have a dorsal are situated adjacent to each other (Atayal in the middle, with Pazeh to the west and Kavalan to the NE). But afaict a dorsal reflex is common throughout the huge Malayo-Polynesian branch, which might be biasing the reconstruction as a dorsal. EDIT: My point being that despite being reconstructed as *R or *ɣ, a coronal seems more likely.

pdusen
Niš
Niš

Post by pdusen »

Is this plausible?: ɨ > ä unconditionally (with or without intermediate steps)

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

I think both /ɨ/ → /ə/ and /ə/ → /a/ are plausible unconditionally.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

pdusen wrote:I have these forms of a word:

nuzudu
nazada

nuzdu
nazada
That works like Dewrad and the Pole said. You could also introduce sound changes dependant on the following vowel e.g. n/ŋʷ/_u or d/dz/_u

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

High vowels can cause palatalization. Round vowels can cause labialization. How can back vowels affect neighboring consonants?

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

Zaarin wrote:High vowels can cause palatalization. Round vowels can cause labialization. How can back vowels affect neighboring consonants?
The most logical counterpart of palatalization would be velarization.

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

Zaarin wrote:High vowels can cause palatalization.
You mean front vowels, right?

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

Dē Graut Bʉr wrote:
Zaarin wrote:High vowels can cause palatalization.
You mean front vowels, right?
I thought so, too.

My own question: In purely diachronic terms, how common is [θ ð] :> [f v]? I know it's attested; the question is about that change in standard native speech.
Current avatar by malibupup of FurAffinity.

My conlangs on this site:
Proto-Wideriver

Aili Meilani
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aili Meilani »

Zaarin wrote:High vowels can cause palatalization. Round vowels can cause labialization. How can back vowels affect neighboring consonants?
In addition to what others said, if the back vowels in question are low, they could cause pharyngealization, since [ɑ] is pretty much a syllabic [ʕ].

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

StrangerCoug wrote:My own question: In purely diachronic terms, how common is [θ ð] :> [f v]? I know it's attested; the question is about that change in standard native speech.
Take Latin as an example, it has *θ *ð > /f b/. The other Italic languages have similar outcomes. I was thinking there was a sporadic second round of this with Romance, where *ð (< /t d/) sometimes ended up as /v/ in the modern languages irregularly, but I can't find my source on that.

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

vokzhen wrote:
StrangerCoug wrote:My own question: In purely diachronic terms, how common is [θ ð] :> [f v]? I know it's attested; the question is about that change in standard native speech.
Take Latin as an example, it has *θ *ð > /f b/. The other Italic languages have similar outcomes. I was thinking there was a sporadic second round of this with Romance, where *ð (< /t d/) sometimes ended up as /v/ in the modern languages irregularly, but I can't find my source on that.
I think Romanian has that.
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Dē Graut Bʉr wrote:You mean front vowels, right?
Yes, mistyped.
Pole, the wrote:The most logical counterpart of palatalization would be velarization.
Aili Meilani wrote:In addition to what others said, if the back vowels in question are low, they could cause pharyngealization, since [ɑ] is pretty much a syllabic [ʕ].
I do indeed have [ɑ], so pharyngealization works perfectly. Thanks. :)