Sound Change Quickie Thread

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

Is there any way to conditionally lose breathy voice on vowels?

Sexendèƚo
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Sexendèƚo »

What are some interesting things to do with geminate consonants?
Currently I have /bː,dː,gː,pː,tː,kː,zː,sː,vː,fː,mː,nː,lː,jː,ɲː,ʎː/
I'd like to do more than just degeminate them, especially if they could develop into something less Romance-y.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Sexendèƚo wrote:What are some interesting things to do with geminate consonants?
I'd like to do more than just degeminate them, especially if they could develop into something less Romance-y.
Affrication. That happened to geminate unvoiced stops in the development from West Germanic to Old High German, i.e. /p:/ > /p_f/, /t:/ > /t_s/; but /k:/ > /x/. That was part of a bigger shift, though, where also single unvoiced stops turned into fricatives or affricates, depending on the environment.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Sexendèƚo wrote:What are some interesting things to do with geminate consonants?
Geminate unvoiced stops could become ejectives. If I recall correctly geminate stops can also become implosives.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sangi39 »

Zaarin wrote:
Geminate unvoiced stops could become ejectives. If I recall correctly geminate stops can also become implosives.
On top of that, /l:/ and /n:/ shifted to [tl] and [tn] in Icelandic (through [dl dn]?), which I assume you could extend to /v: m: jːɲː ʎː/ (> [w: m: j: ɲː ʎː] > [gw bm ɟj ɟɲ ɟʎ]).

You could go in the opposite direction with the nasals, i.e. /m: n: ɲ:/ > [mb nd ɲɟ]. I'm not sure if that's attested anywhere, but it doesn't seem unreasonable.

/l:/ became /ɖ(:)/ in Sardinian and Sicilian, IIRC.

The geminate voiced plosives could shorten, with originally short voiced plosives shifting to voiced fricatives.

Did Welsh /ɬ/ come from an older /l:/ or is that just an orthographic convention?
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Birdlang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Birdlang »

I made a protolang where it developed from another protolang with gemination, and that developed into pharyngealization.
Hello there. Chirp chirp chirp.

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

sangi39 wrote:Did Welsh /ɬ/ come from an older /l:/ or is that just an orthographic convention?
Orthographic conversion, but both Inuit and Berber languages have devoicing of geminates: Greenlandic /v l ɣ ʁ/ but geminate [ff ɬɬ çç χχ], Tamazight and Tuareg both have [qq ttˤ] as the most common geminate of /ɣ dˤ/, though Inuit languages mostly don't have voiceless fricatives to begin with, and Berber languages have other singleton-geminate alternations like /j ~ ɣɣ/ /ʃ ~ ttʃ/ /w ~ bb/.

It's pretty common, afaik, to devoice geminate voiced stops just because it's harder to maintain the voicing with the longer hold, and if gemination is later lost you may have created a plain series from an old aspirated-voiced system. I believe this is how geminate > implosive is posited to work too, implosion allows voicing to be held for that duration.

The Northeast Caucasian languages often have distinct "fortis" consonants (geminated, higher tension, voiceless and generally unaspirated, where singleton stops may be lightly aspirated) that originate, at least in part, from geminates.

Preaspiration I think is also a possibility. NEC fortis consonants are sometimes preaspirated, and long consonants became preaspirated in one or some of the Uralic languages I believe.

Instead of going tt > ʔt > t' for the voiceless set (or the voiced too, if they're devoiced), you could have the glottal stop shift to vocalic. Creaky-voiced or high-pitched vowels, or simply introducing a length contrast (ata > aata, at:a > aʔta > ata), and/or causing vowel breaking (a ʔ-coda or creakiness correlates with a fronter offglide). Glottalization can shift to pharyngealization, as Birdlang said. These, especially the last two, are probably operating on a longer time scale than the other suggestions, though.

For the sonorants and fricatives, fortition of /ll/ and /nn/ has been mentioned (to /tɬ tn/ in Icelandic, /ɖ:/ in Asturian, Sicilian, and Sardinian), there are languages that also have /s tt/ alternate, but the ordering of things might be important. That is, it may have been /ts tts/ and one half lenited and one half fortified, rather than /s:/ becoming /tt/ directly. Given that the sonorants can do it, though, I wouldn't think it's too far a stretch, which would allow geminate /s:/ to act like a voiceless stop for further changes. It's also very common for /jj/ for fortify into a different geminate [gg ggʲ dd ddʒ], which then allows it to undergo the same processes that the voiced stops do. And I believe another possibility is just to leave the sonorants alone, if I'm not mistaken it's not uncommon to have /mm nn ll rr/ as the only consonants that allow doubling.

sangi39
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by sangi39 »

I completely forgot about pre-aspiration in Icelandic. How'd I manage that :P
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Dē Graut Bʉr wrote:Is there any way to conditionally lose breathy voice on vowels?
Maybe before or after or between voiceless consonants? Idk.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Qwynegold
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Qwynegold »

Idk if you think this is boring, but they could affect preceding vowels before degemination. Either they could dump their length on the preceding vowel, or they could first shorten a preceding vowel and then degeminate. Ooh, you could do some kind of Slavic thingy if you get extra short vowels.
My most recent quiz:
Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

V>C length spreading happens in Seri (apparently even V>C>V, hóopatj used to be written hóoppaatj) so C>V could happen. Is it attested?

Fortition of geminate approximants is common.
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

If I have the pharyngealized consonants /pˤ kˤ bˤ gˤ fˤ sˤ (vˤ zˤ ʃˤ)/ and a contrast between /t̪ d̪ t d/ and /tʂ dʐ tʃ dʒ ʂ ʃ/, could the dental and retroflex consonants develop pharyngealization to heighten the contrast, instead of merging into the alveolars and postalveolars?

That is, instead of t̪ d̪ tʂ dʐ ʂ > t d tʃ dʒ ʃ, could I have t̪ d̪ tʂ dʐ ʂ > tˤ dˤ tʃˤ dʒˤ ʃˤ?

8Deer
Lebom
Lebom

Post by 8Deer »

I think something similar happened in Chilcotin, so you could look into that.

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

Given /a ɛ i o p t k ʔ m n s h r/ and the fact that all syllables are CV, is there any plausible way to split off /u/ as a fifth vowel phonemically distinct from /o/? (This is a pitch-accent language—the "stress" would be on the high-pitched syllable.)
Current avatar by malibupup of FurAffinity.

My conlangs on this site:
Proto-Wideriver

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

StrangerCoug wrote:Given /a ɛ i o p t k ʔ m n s h r/ and the fact that all syllables are CV, is there any plausible way to split off /u/ as a fifth vowel phonemically distinct from /o/? (This is a pitch-accent language—the "stress" would be on the high-pitched syllable.)
Many Native American languages have allophonic variation between /o/ and /u/ (or similar consonants). Offhand, in the environment of /p m/ might be a good place to start. Once you have the allophonic variation, other changes could make the phonetic distinction phonemic.
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

gach
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by gach »

You could try height harmony where the presence of /a/ prefers [o] over for /o/ or the presence of /i/ over [o] for it. Then contract some of the syllables containing /a/ or /i/ away for example through Vh/ri > Vi > V or Vh/ra > Va > V and the [o ~ u] allophony turns phonetic.

Porphyrogenitos
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Porphyrogenitos »

StrangerCoug wrote:Given /a ɛ i o p t k ʔ m n s h r/ and the fact that all syllables are CV, is there any plausible way to split off /u/ as a fifth vowel phonemically distinct from /o/? (This is a pitch-accent language—the "stress" would be on the high-pitched syllable.)
You could have /o/ shift allophonically to in all cases except before /h/ and /ʔ/, and then cause something else to merge (conditionally or unconditionally) with /h/ and/or /ʔ/ in order to create contrast. Unconditional /r/ > /ʔ/ happened in some Polynesian languages, or perhaps you could fortite /h/ to /k/ in high syllables (assuming high syllables have any of the same acoustic properties as stressed syllables in English and other languages). Or you could debuccalize /p/ or /s/ to /h/, or back /k/ to /ʔ/. And so on.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Souletin Basque developed ü from u in some specific conditions, and then turned high vowels near ü to ü. You could have something like:

o > u / C[-voice]_[-accent]C[-voice] (o > u when unstressed and surrounded by voiceless consonants)

and then [+high] spreads to adjacent mid vowels, blocked only by /a/, and then /r/ lowers following unstressed /i/, so:

*ritoséro > rituséro > ritusíro > retusíro
*kasotári > kasutári > kasutáre
*kótoke > kótuke > kútuki
*satokesáti > satukesáti > satukisáti

If you want to mix things up more, you could have s > š / _, t > š / _i, s > h, š > s before the spreading, so *kasotári > kasutári > kašutári > kasutari, *satokesáti > satukesáti > hatukeháši > hatukihási.

Alternatively, o > u / C[+voice]_, r > h, t > s / _i, V1hV2 > V2:, V: > V so
*ritoséro > ritoséru > hitoséru
*kasotári > kasotáhi
*kótoke > kótoke
*satokesáti > satokesási
*marónotiro > marúnutiru > mahúnusihu > múnusu
*tohíno > tohínu > tíínu > tinu
*nohotí > nuhoti > noosi > nosi
You could use this to develop tonal pitch accent: (A = any vowel) ÁhA AhÁ Á > Â Ǎ Á

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

kʷʰ(aspirated)/V_V → xʷ?
gʷʱ(breathy)/_V → C[+voice -breathy]V[+breathy]?

What can voiceless consonants, especially approximants, turn into? If they are also aspirated, can this turn them into fricatives?

What can /c͡ç/ turn into?
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

Shemtov
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Shemtov »

Can Palatalazation become Velarazation?

Daedolon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Daedolon »

Coud this work?

C = Any consonant

Cˤ > Cʕ

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Bristel: Plausible, plausible if generalized to all breathy-voiced consonants although they could also become voiceless, they can voice or turn into fricatives, it can front to /ts/ or /t/ or lenite to /C/ or /S/.

Shemtov: No.

Daedolon: Probably. Chechen vs. Ingush -- one of them pushed pharyngealization from consonants to vowels or the other way around, I can't remember which.

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

What can I do to /tʷ/?

Proto-Wideriver

Bristel
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Bristel »

StrangerCoug wrote:What can I do to /tʷ/?
Potentially it can become /p/.
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīquā cupiditāte illectus hoc agō
Yo te pongo en tu lugar...
Taisc mach Daró

StrangerCoug
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by StrangerCoug »

I have /kʷ/ :> /p/, so I think that's consistent with what I'm doing.

Proto-Wideriver