Sound Change Quickie Thread

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Nymrīs
Niš
Niš

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by Nymrīs »

vokzhen wrote:
احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:These sound changes all check out?:
Nymrīs wrote:
احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:ʔp/ > /p/ > /p/ > /p/
/ʔt/ > /t/ > /t/ > /t/
/ʔk/ > /k/ > /k/ > /k/
/ʔq/ > /q/ > /q/ > /q/
/ʡp/ > /Lp/ > /p/ > /p/ <= L = lowered vowel
/ʡt/ > /Lt/ > /t/ > /t/
/ʡk/ > /Lk/ > /k/ > /k/
/ʡq/ > /Lq/ > /q/ > /q/
If it would lower the vowel in the case of epiglottals it most definetly will in the case of pharyngeals i suggest changing the shift to.
/ʔt/ > /ʁt or /ɣt > /t/ > /t/ > /t/
/ʡt/ > /ʔt > /Lt/ > /t/ > /t/
Well, first of all that's not pharyngealization versus epiglottalization. The pharyngeals he lists *do* lower the vowels. But also I'm not sure it's true both will lower: I remember seeing diagrams of tongue position in some Khoisan language of /i/ versus /iˁ/ versus /iʢ/ and there were some pretty noticeable differences between the latter two (iirc the pharyngealization was all in the back, with the front constriction actually being almost identical to /i/, whereas epiglottalization pulled the entire tongue back). Every time it comes up it kills them that I can't find that paper again. Though I still think it's *likely* both will lower.
Im probably just used to associating ʔ with ɑ, im unsure how you got them actually lowering vowels as i cant see anywhere that the pharyngeal stop clusters lower the vowels. If they did there would be an L before them at some stage in the sound shift
Also arabic guy (your name is finicky to deal with) sorry last time i checked wikipedia distinguished pharyngeals and epiglottals and the signs /ʡ ħ/ were for epiglottals but now their trills.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

It's "Ihamek Arash-Hijunu" in my conlang's Arabization. You could continue to call me "Arabic guy" or "Arash".

The wiki updated the article and merge them both as "pharyngeal"... I'm treating /ʡ ħ/ as pharyngeal.
Im unsure how you got them actually lowering vowels as i cant see anywhere that the pharyngeal stop clusters lower the vowels. If they did there would be an L before them at some stage in the sound shift
Well... that was my interpretation of:
VhC > V:ʰC
VħC > L:C
VʔC > VC
VʡC > LC
Which seems to indicate that each consonant simultaneous did their effects while dropping out of existence.
You could posit a substage of /VhC/ > /V:hʰC/ > /V:ʰC/ or /VħC/ /L:ħC/> /L:C/ for example.
Last edited by احمکي ارش-ھجن on Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Nymrīs
Niš
Niš

Post by Nymrīs »

gaaahhhh! i confused ʔ with ʕ again ive got to stop doing that its embarassing :(
Last edited by Nymrīs on Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

None of that matters now.

I made changes and it looks like uvular /N/ is phonemic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klallam_language

/xm/ > /xm̥/ > /m̥/ > /m̥/
/xn/ > /xn̥/ > /n̥/ > /n̥/
/sɹ/ > /sɹ̥/ > /ɹ̥/ > /ɹ̥
/xɹ/ > /xɹ̥/ > /ɹ̥/ > /ɹ̥/
/sl/ > /sl̥/ > /l̥/ > /l̥/
/xl/ > /xl̥/ > /l̥/ > /l̥/

/hk/ > /V:ʰk/ > /ʰk/ > /ʰk/[xk]
/hq/ > /V:ʰq/ > /ʰq/ > /ʰq/[χq]
Might make these two have ordinary corresponding fricatives as allophones...

Oh, wait, hold on... The only reason why I don't have the effects of the laryngeals on the first stage of sound changes, is because the second stage shows the *result* of the effects of the previous stage.
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

What's the best way to get from Cʲ to C[+retroflex]?
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

And what are ways to get /t͡s ɸ β X/?

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

/t͡s/ can come from palatalization of /t k s/ or fronting of /t͡ʃ/. Some Indo-European languages may have /sː/ to /t͡s/ (though I've also seen this analyzed as /tst/ to /t͡s/). And of course reanalysis of /ts/ clusters as /t͡s/.

/ɸ β/ can come from lenition of /p b/. Both can also come from fortition of /w/ (or /ʍ/). I'd be surprised if /ɸ β/ came from /f v/ as it tends to go the other way, but I suppose it's hypothetically possible.

/χ/ can come from lenition of /q/, fronting of /ħ/, backing of /x/...Since /h/ :> /x/ is attested in certain environments, I would imagine it could also move to /χ/.

/ɸ χ/ could also come from /pʰ qʰ/. If you back /x/, /χ/ could also come from lenited /k kʰ/. And of course simplification of /q͡χ/ affricates.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

What about... /ħ:/ > /L:X/ > /X/ > /X/, where L is a lowered vowel?

So far I have intervocalic lenition of /w:/ > /β/... lenition of the stops would not be preferable... additionally, I don't have /v/ to begin with.
What about /pj pw bj bw/ > /ɸ β/? Also /pf bf/ > /pf bv/ >/pɸ bβ/ > /ɸ β/?

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:What about /pj pw bj bw/ > /ɸ β/? Also /pf bf/ > /pf bv/ >/pɸ bβ/ > /ɸ β/?
/pf bf/ > /pf bv/ >/pɸ bβ/ > /ɸ β/ is highly plausible, the others look reasonable but someone else might be better qualified to answer those. I'd say in the context of /VwwV/ > /β/, /pw bw/ > /β/ is very reasonable.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

How do I arrive at the situation where the PST prefix is nu-, the PST-PROG prefix is yo-, the FUT prefix is ?a-, and the PRES-PROG prefix is hu-?
Apparently just saying the morphology and affixes were borrowed from another language is "lazy"...

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:How do I arrive at the situation where the PST prefix is nu-, the PST-PROG prefix is yo-, the FUT prefix is ?a-, and the PRES-PROG prefix is hu-?
Apparently just saying the morphology and affixes were borrowed from another language is "lazy"...
You could say they were grammaticalised from earlier time adverbs of a similar shape.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Cedh wrote:
احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:How do I arrive at the situation where the PST prefix is nu-, the PST-PROG prefix is yo-, the FUT prefix is ?a-, and the PRES-PROG prefix is hu-?
You could say they were grammaticalised from earlier time adverbs of a similar shape.
What kinds of adverbs of time, specifically? Are adverbs like "tomorrow" and "yesterday" sufficient? Also wonder what kind of adverbs would create the progressive functions...

Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Cedh »

احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:
Cedh wrote:
What kinds of adverbs of time, specifically? Are adverbs like "tomorrow" and "yesterday" sufficient? Also wonder what kind of adverbs would create the progressive functions...
Yes, "tomorrow" → future and "yesterday" → past are attested grammaticalization paths. The present progressive could be derived from an adverb meaning "now". The past progressive is a bit more tricky, but languages sometimes have time adverbs with quite specific meanings which do not correspond to a single English word. Something like "at the same time" or "during this" might be a possibility here. Or else, the past progressive could come from an earlier participle or gerund which came to be used only in past tense contexts, and then reanalysed as a finite verb form (maybe with agglutination of an earlier auxiliary verb).

zyxw59
Lebom
Lebom

Post by zyxw59 »

Is /ph th kh/ > /pf ts kx/ > /f ts k/ plausible?

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

zyxw59 wrote:Is /ph th kh/ > /pf ts kx/ > /f ts k/ plausible?
Yes. The first step essentially happened in southern German dialects (the "Proto-German" voiceless stops probably were aspirated); /pf/ > /f/ is currently happening in German (school teachers are fighting an uphill battle against it, saying things like Es heißt 'Pferd', nicht 'Ferd'), and /kx/ > /k/ has happened in many of those dialects which once had /kx/.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

I'm not sure how I can derive the infinitive stem (e)CCaC3C3u.

Does anyone know how the Arabic colour verb stem iCCaC3C3a came about?

Pogostick Man
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pogostick Man »

I don't, but what's your starting point? What other sound changes do you have for this language?
(Avatar via Happy Wheels Wiki)
Index Diachronica PDF v.10.2
Conworld megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Pogostick Man wrote:I don't, but what's your starting point? What other sound changes do you have for this language?
I have all the changes listed in my Taksheyut thread.

I can only imagine that it might have about like this:
mukub; emukububu > emkububu > emkubbu

But I'm not sure that makes any sense.

Das Public Viewing
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Das Public Viewing »

How realistic are these? None are in the same lang, if that helps.

/ʃtʃ/>>/ʂʈ/>>/ʈ/
/œ/(>>/ɶ/)>>/a/
retraction of stress from a low tone (didn't this happen in Slavic?)
/VnlV/>>/ṼlV/>>/ṼV/
[meta comment]

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:I'm not sure how I can derive the infinitive stem (e)C1C2aC3C3u.

Does anyone know how the Arabic colour verb stem iC1C2aC3C3a came about?
Does anyone know?

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

JuxtapositionQMan wrote:/ʃtʃ/>>/ʂʈ/>>/ʈ/
Seems reasonable.
/œ/(>>/ɶ/)>>/a/
I think a better route would be œ > ɛ > æ > a. You might be able to go directly from /œ/ to /æ/, as /ɛ/ and /æ/ are quite close.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Not a sound change, but could a genitive pronoun be used for reflexive constructions? If so, how?

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:Not a sound change, but could a genitive pronoun be used for reflexive constructions? If so, how?
I don't think that's at all unreasonable. It could go something like "I wash my body" > "I wash my", just dropping the head noun.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Dē Graut Bʉr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Dē Graut Bʉr »

Just so you know it the next time, there is a grammaticalisation quickie thread as well.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Dewrad wrote:
احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:Not a sound change, but could a genitive pronoun be used for reflexive constructions? If so, how?
I don't think that's at all unreasonable. It could go something like "I wash my body" > "I wash my", just dropping the head noun.
No, I mean for example: 1s-GEN wash-ACT-PRES-REFL-SG
Dē Graut Bʉr wrote:Just so you know it the next time, there is a grammaticalisation quickie thread as well.
I don't see anyone using that thread anymore...