Sound Change Quickie Thread

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Cedh
Sanno
Sanno

Re: Sound Change Quickie Thread

Post by Cedh »

احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:
Dē Graut Bʉr wrote:Just so you know it the next time, there is a grammaticalisation quickie thread as well.
I don't see anyone using that thread anymore...
That's no reason not to use it. As a quickie thread, it can always be used for new quick questions.
(The reason it fell out of use is probably simply that at one point people stopped asking questions there just long enough for the thread to fall off the first page, and thus out of people's minds.)

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

Can aspiration trigger fronting or heightening of following vowels?
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

not that i know of but plosive voicing can -- adjarian's law
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

That works, too. Thanks.

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

Not that I've heard of, at least directly, and not a way that keeps the aspiration intact if that's your goal. Off the top of my head turning it into breathiness might work; aspirated consonant > breathy vowel seems pretty straightforward, but I'm not aware of it every actually being attested. Then the Khmer shift where breathy vowels gain onglides, then assimilate onglide+vowel to a higher vowel.

I'm not sure aspiration has ever been delinked Cʰ>Ch but that might be another route. Then metathesis to CVh or hCV might be a route, from which breathy vowels agains and the Khmer shift.

Also, not fronting or raising. But a possibility might be pharyngealization. Along the lines of the attested C' > Cˁ, Cʰ > Cħ. Pharyngealized consonants can back, opposite of what you want, but I'm pretty sure they can also centralize: Ci Cu Cɛ Cɔ Ca end up as something like Cħɪ Cħʊ Cħë Cħö Cħɐ. A few sound changes later and it's Ci Cu Cɛ Cɔ Ca versus the old aspirated Ci Cu Ce Co Cə or something along those lines. Or the opposite, pharyngealized (aspirated) consonants stay put while plain vowels undergo a chain shift that heightens or fronts them.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

vokzhen wrote:Not that I've heard of, at least directly, and not a way that keeps the aspiration intact if that's your goal. Off the top of my head turning it into breathiness might work; aspirated consonant > breathy vowel seems pretty straightforward, but I'm not aware of it every actually being attested. Then the Khmer shift where breathy vowels gain onglides, then assimilate onglide+vowel to a higher vowel.

I'm not sure aspiration has ever been delinked Cʰ>Ch but that might be another route. Then metathesis to CVh or hCV might be a route, from which breathy vowels agains and the Khmer shift.

Also, not fronting or raising. But a possibility might be pharyngealization. Along the lines of the attested C' > Cˁ, Cʰ > Cħ. Pharyngealized consonants can back, opposite of what you want, but I'm pretty sure they can also centralize: Ci Cu Cɛ Cɔ Ca end up as something like Cħɪ Cħʊ Cħë Cħö Cħɐ. A few sound changes later and it's Ci Cu Cɛ Cɔ Ca versus the old aspirated Ci Cu Ce Co Cə or something along those lines. Or the opposite, pharyngealized (aspirated) consonants stay put while plain vowels undergo a chain shift that heightens or fronts them.
Since I have breathy voiced consonants, I think I'm going to use those along the lines of Adjarian's Law that Nortaneous posted--but I love that idea about pharyngealization and am totally using it for a cousin language. :D

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

Zaarin wrote:Since I have breathy voiced consonants, I think I'm going to use those along the lines of Adjarian's Law that Nortaneous posted--but I love that idea about pharyngealization and am totally using it for a cousin language. :D
Just to be clear, I don't think pharyngealization of aspirated consonants is attested in any way, I'm just guessing at the possibility from the attested (in Semitic and Northwest Caucasian) shift of ejectives to pharyngealization; both would involve extra glottal action shifting slightly in POA to pharyngeal.

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

vokzhen wrote:
Zaarin wrote:Since I have breathy voiced consonants, I think I'm going to use those along the lines of Adjarian's Law that Nortaneous posted--but I love that idea about pharyngealization and am totally using it for a cousin language. :D
Just to be clear, I don't think pharyngealization of aspirated consonants is attested in any way, I'm just guessing at the possibility from the attested (in Semitic and Northwest Caucasian) shift of ejectives to pharyngealization; both would involve extra glottal action shifting slightly in POA to pharyngeal.
Given the Lakhota velarized aspirates, though, the possibility of pharyngealized aspirated consonants doesn't seem like too far a stretch.

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

Zaarin wrote:
vokzhen wrote:
Given the Lakhota velarized aspirates, though, the possibility of pharyngealized aspirated consonants doesn't seem like too far a stretch.
Yes and no. The velarized aspirates are only before back vowels and /ĩ/, and regular aspirates occur before /i e/, and /tʃʰ/ does not have a velarized allophone. So that seems to be an effect of front-versus-backness rather than aspiration being velarized completely. Though mentioning that, there are other languages I've run into that have velar "aspiration," off the top of my head Navajo which, according to Wikipedia, has an "aspirated" series that looks to be more like [tx tɬˑ(ʰ) tsˑ(ʰ) tʃˑ(ʰ) kx kxʷ].

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

vokzhen wrote:Yes and no. The velarized aspirates are only before back vowels and /ĩ/, and regular aspirates occur before /i e/, and /tʃʰ/ does not have a velarized allophone. So that seems to be an effect of front-versus-backness rather than aspiration being velarized completely. Though mentioning that, there are other languages I've run into that have velar "aspiration," off the top of my head Navajo which, according to Wikipedia, has an "aspirated" series that looks to be more like [tx tɬˑ(ʰ) tsˑ(ʰ) tʃˑ(ʰ) kx kxʷ].
Good points. I think it's close enough to credible that I'm going to go with it; it'll make an interesting contrast to the language of the region's dominant culture, which has normal pharyngealized consonants (originating, as with Arabic and Aramaic, from historical ejectives, preserved in several of the language's cousin languages).

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

Re: velarized aspirates, I've used those in two conlangs.

Proto-Arve had a stop system of /pʰ p tʰ t kʰ k/ and one affricate, /ts/. Southern dialects tend to lose aspirates in various ways (usually pʰ tʰ kʰ > f ts x), and Midland dialects tend to palatalize tʰ to ts before front vowels. The dialect of Vahkatton, between the two regions, had pʰ kʰ > f x unconditionally (although /f/ becomes /x/ before /ö o ü u/ later) as in the south, but tʰ > tʰ, ts / V[-front], V[+front] as in the midlands (but tʰ > ts / _#), and then h tʰ > x tᵡ before back vowels (x~h interchange is common in Arve, since they were originally in complementary distribution and they both contrast with χ, which is more strongly articulated). This could be reconstructed as:
pʰ > px > xʷ, xʷ > x / _{ö o y u}, xʷ > f
kʰ > kx > x
tʰ > tx / _V[-front]
tʰ > ts

Then there are a bunch of vowel shifts, and tᵡ ts end up contrasting before central vowels: *äˑ/*a > a, *e/*ö > ɜ, *ü/*u > ɨ. Then a few words are borrowed from Midland dialects and M tʰ > V tᵡ.

Then there's Amqoli, which went p > f > x and developed aspirates from Cx clusters. But those aspirates contrast with Cχ sequences from Cq. (Near-minimal pairs: txe 'because' ~ tχem 'going', tka 'time' ~ txa 'lightning' ~ tχal 'insult', tsxur 'nose' ~ tsχor 'killing', pkal 'treat' ~ pxaxa 'weed out'.)

...Actually, I notice that Px clusters are more common than plain P. I might have #P > Ph > Px, sP zB > P B.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

Okay I have two unrelated sound changes that I'm wondering about.

(1) s > ɬ
(2) k > p/_#

I'm not sure if (1) is totally reasonable, but something similar to (2) has happened before right? Romanian did something to that effect iirc. Are these acceptable changes?

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

s > ɬ is certainly plausible, but I wouldn't expect it unconditionally unless it was part of a chain shift in which something else moved into the place of /s/.

----
Smeric
Smeric

Post by ---- »

That's exactly what happens :)

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

How does one develop /ɹ/ from a language that didn't have one?
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.
- Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:How does one develop /ɹ/ from a language that didn't have one?
Lenition of /r/ (as in [r]) perhaps?
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Travis B. wrote:
احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:How does one develop /ɹ/ from a language that didn't have one?
In what kind of environments?
ʾAšol ḵavad pulqam ʾifbižen lav ʾifšimeḻ lit maseḡrad lav lit n͛ubad. ʾUpulasim ṗal sa-panžun lav sa-ḥadṇ lav ṗal šarmaḵeš lit ʾaẏṭ waẏyadanun wižqanam.

vokzhen
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vokzhen »

Pretty sure it's most often from a different rhotic; see dialectical pronunciations across Germanic and the wholesale replacement in most English from what was almost certainly once a trill/tap. Positional allophones of a different rhotic happen as well, intervocal or coda seems most likely to me, but some African languages have the approximant as the primary allophone and a tap as the intervocal, and one or two of the languages I've run across that allow word-initial rhotic-stop clusters have an approximant as the allophone there. Off the top of my head, the other place I've seen them from is lenition of /d/ (generally along with other voiced stops) and Spanish dialects, where coda /s/ lenites to [ɹ] (as opposed to the far more common [h]). There's also allophony with a fricative like [ʐ] that's pretty common in the Tibet-China-Southeast Asia region, but I'm not sure which tended to be original.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:
Travis B. wrote:
In what kind of environments?
r/ɹ/_ ? (See English.)
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

احمکي ارش-ھجن
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by احمکي ارش-ھجن »

Well, my conlang is supposed to have /ɹ/ and /r/ (and also /ʀ/) so that can't work. Vokzhen, you supposed that something like /dr/[dɹ] > /ɹ/?

Zaarin
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Zaarin »

It could also come from a lateral or /n/. I want to say I've seen some obscure Semitic dialect have /ɹ/ from either a uvular or pharyngeal fricative, but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Pole, the
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Pole, the »

احمک ارش-ھجنو wrote:Well, my conlang is supposed to have /ɹ/ and /r/ (and also /ʀ/) so that can't work. Vokzhen, you supposed that something like /dr/[dɹ] > /ɹ/?
So then:
r → ɹ
t d → ɾ / σ[+stress]_
ɾ → r
The conlanger formerly known as “the conlanger formerly known as Pole, the”.

If we don't study the mistakes of the future we're doomed to repeat them for the first time.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

r > ɹ
n > r / V_V

r > ɹ / _[C #]

l > ɹ

ɭ > ɹ

dd nd ld > ɖɖ ɳɖ ɖ > ɖ ɳɖ ɹ

z > ɹ

s > ɹ / _[C #]

Hallow XIII
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Hallow XIII »

j > ð > ɹ
陳第 wrote:蓋時有古今,地有南北;字有更革,音有轉移,亦勢所必至。
R.Rusanov wrote:seks istiyorum
sex want-PRS-1sg
Read all about my excellent conlangs
Basic Conlanging Advice

Porphyrogenitos
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Porphyrogenitos »

Soo, if I'm debuccalizing /f/ to /h/, and feel the need to likewise debuccalize /v/ to /ɦ/...what can I do with /ɦ/? Is it plausible for /ɦ/ to simply merge into /h/?