The KneeQuickie still exists [Discussion]

Substantial postings about constructed languages and constructed worlds in general. Good place to mention your own or evaluate someone else's. Put quick questions in C&C Quickies instead.
Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Re: The KneeQuickie still exists [Discussion]

Post by Curlyjimsam »

It's been several years since I've had the time to put anything at all on these sorts of wikis, and even when I did use them I never posted anything very extensive. Personally I would prefer to host stuff on my own webspace (not that I'm doing any of that at the moment, either ...).

But this is just me and clearly there are people for whom posting things about their conlangs on shared wikis is an attractive concept. One advantage, I suppose, is that it maybe gets you a bit more exposure, and it's less hassle than setting up your own website/wiki. And a shared wiki is very useful for other things, like the Correspondence Library, or things they have on FrathWiki like collections of Babel texts.

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

now that anthologica is dead i guess i'll migrate back to KQ
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I have been putting my conlang stuff on here because Anthologica is down, but putting stuff on the ZBB is rather non-optimal, so I might start using the KneeQuickie.
Dibotahamdn duthma jallni agaynni ra hgitn lakrhmi.
Amuhawr jalla vowa vta hlakrhi hdm duthmi xaja.
Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro. Irdro.

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

Well, I just renewed the domain, so the KQ's still not going anywhere. What happened to Anthologi.ca?

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

Curlyjimsam wrote:It's been several years since I've had the time to put anything at all on these sorts of wikis, and even when I did use them I never posted anything very extensive. Personally I would prefer to host stuff on my own webspace (not that I'm doing any of that at the moment, either ...).

But this is just me and clearly there are people for whom posting things about their conlangs on shared wikis is an attractive concept. One advantage, I suppose, is that it maybe gets you a bit more exposure, and it's less hassle than setting up your own website/wiki. And a shared wiki is very useful for other things, like the Correspondence Library, or things they have on FrathWiki like collections of Babel texts.
I don't blame or fault people for using their own websites for exposure, control and security. That's respectable. I want the KQ to be less about someone's conlang and more about conlanging in general -- lists of texts, translations, and resources. I don't have the time or energy to do it all myself, however. But my marketing ability is shit.

Also, follow the KQ on Facebook. Not that I post there often or whatever, but I would if there was more reason to.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Neek wrote:Well, I just renewed the domain, so the KQ's still not going anywhere. What happened to Anthologi.ca?
This is the latest status I know. It's still down, I'm checking regularly because I'd started to put up the Tautisca dictionary there.

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

There was hard drive corruption, and it is not known yet whether the data uploaded to it can be recovered. I assume that everything on it is lost, considering that Rhetorica has commented that she does not have the knowledge necessary to recover corrupted ext4 filesystems. Since then I have created my own website, hosted on neocities.org, which I like because I have complete control over the content and that it is geared towards people who already know HTML and CSS (unlike, say, Google Sites).

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Travis B. wrote:I assume that everything on it is lost, considering that Rhetorica has commented that she does not have the knowledge necessary to recover corrupted ext4 filesystems.
That's too bad. I liked the available templates to put up conlang information; I'm not kowledgable enough to create them and too busy otherwise / lazy to learn how to do so. Well, that means I'll just keep keeping my data in files on my computer...

jal
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by jal »

hwhatting wrote:Well, that means I'll just keep keeping my data in files on my computer...
Please, also back them up on a cloud drive and a USB drive or the like... I've experienced a drive crash more than once, and I was very glad that I back-up stuff most of the time...

JAL

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

jal wrote:
hwhatting wrote:Well, that means I'll just keep keeping my data in files on my computer...
Please, also back them up on a cloud drive and a USB drive or the like... I've experienced a drive crash more than once, and I was very glad that I back-up stuff most of the time...
Yes, I should do that more often... procrastination is my vice...

Travis B.
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Travis B. »

I like that neocities.org allows me to download my entire site as a zip file in one action; I should actually do this, just in case neocities.org loses my data for whatever reason.